Privacy on balcony

vpoopsy

I posted this under "balcony size", but figured I'd start my own.

How "private" are the balconies? I know some ships are set up where the decks stair step so you can look down and see the balcony below you. Just wondering in case I wanted to sit out on the balcony.....:) :p

How "private" are the balconies? I know some ships are set up where the decks stair step so you can look down and see the balcony below you. Just wondering in case I wanted to sit out on the balcony.....:) :p

On Vista ships you can look down on at least sections of some of the stern balconies from upper decks.

And riders of the glass elevators on Vista ships can get a brief "vista" of balconies directly adjacent to the elevators.

Both locations are great for exhibitionists!

Uh huh!;)

The majority of HAL's balconies are pretty "private". Somebody last week mentioned the "Balcony cam" that's installed to help the pilot get on board . That's the only thing you have to watch out for when you're "sitting out and reading your book"

Balcony cam to get the pilot on board? I'm confused.

:confused:

Just kidding vpoopsy! No cams! The balconies on HAL are as private as your're gonna get with the exception of those on the aforementioned Vista class ships (the aft ones and the ones on both sides of the glass exterior elevators) Can't beat sitting out on your balcony having breakfast, reading a book, sipping a drink, watching the sunset and/or whatever else you want to do! Go out and enjoy them!:)

I think I'm the one who mentioned the Balcony Cam, but it wasn't for the pilot. I forget what the context was, but it had to do with the crew's choice of tv channels. As vpoopsy pointed out, pure bs.

I think I'm the one who mentioned the Balcony Cam, but it wasn't for the pilot. I forget what the context was, but it had to do with the crew's choice of tv channels. As vpoopsy pointed out, pure bs.

Looks like you and I have a reputation to uphold then......as BS artists;)

The balconies are private unless steps up to the divider and looks around. I figure if they do that, they get what they deserve for peeking!

On the Oosterdam this past January, I decided to sit out on the balcony for awhile while the DH was in the library. I was wearing a suit although I thought about not wearing it! Good thing; while sitting out there, the steward came in and delivered a bottle of champagne compliments of the hotel manager. I never heard him and he didn't let me know he was there. However, same rule applies to staff. Good thing DH wasn't there and we were 'reading' a novel!:D

The balconies are private unless steps up to the divider and looks around. I figure if they do that, they get what they deserve for peeking!

On the Oosterdam this past January, I decided to sit out on the balcony for awhile while the DH was in the library. I was wearing a suit although I thought about not wearing it! Good thing; while sitting out there, the steward came in and delivered a bottle of champagne compliments of the hotel manager. I never heard him and he didn't let me know he was there. However, same rule applies to staff. Good thing DH wasn't there and we were 'reading' a novel!:D

What's the name of that novel you would be reading?

What's the name of that novel you would be reading?

The Encyclopedia Brittanica!;)

Just curious, did you have the "Do not disturb" sign in the outside facing slot on your door when the steward came in ?

They are "private enough". That being said several dozen people on RC Mariner of the Seas discovered that their balconies were not private enough.

We had been parallel parked in port with the Mariner all the way at the far end toward the sea. For those of you who have not seen this class of ship, it is very large, and the sides are all glass with balconies. Our ship was in the middle and kicked out it's stern and slowly backed out while passing along side of the Mariner, only about 25 feet away. It was late afternoon and many couples had been showering from a day on the beach, and many more were testing to see how private the balconies really were. Also, no one had their drapes drawn, so we even had chance to help people test the privacy of their staterooms with floor to ceiling glass.

Needless to say no one on the Mariner expected to have 1500 people pass by their glass rooms at a distace of 25 feet. It was one of the most entertaining and instructional segements of our cruise.

My DH and I have one of those aft balconies. If anyone has a picture could thry post it. How unprivate is it? This is our first time on HAL.

Depending upon which deck, your entire balcony is visible from above. People in cabins above and people standing at the rail at aft pool can look down on just about the entire balcony except a small area closest to the door.

But they are huge and most people say it is worth it to them.

We prefer being in an "S" on the side of the ship.

Hello All:

I recently booked cabin VB6091 on the Noordam's Upper Verandah Deck. Are there any major or minor concerns to this cabin location. I see from layout that the balcony is next to the elevators on the side of the ship. I was thinking that the mid-ship location would be good. This is the the first on Holland America and the first where the elevators travel on the side of the ship. Overall, does anyone have any experience with the impact...if any...the elevators or location present.

Thanks.

Any other info would also be GREAT for a Holland nubie.

I see from layout that the balcony is next to the elevators on the side of the ship.

If your's is the cabin immediately adjacent to the glass elevator then your verandah is completely visible to anyone on the elevator.

I paid particular attention to that when I sailed the Noordam.

Archived