Conditions in Bermuda after Florence

WackyHeathen

I was on the Majesty last week and the sail back from Bermuda was great, no rough seas, just like sailing on glass. Sun was out not a cloud in the sky. We actually got into port a little early because the conditions were so good. Hope the sail back for this week goes better then the sail over.

Just arrived back yesterday, From taking the bus and walking around you could really not see any damage. Trees with broken limbs were being cleaned up as were the lawns.. We did have a rocky night on Monday..with many people being sick.. I did not take my own advice and take a Sturgeron and could not make it through supper...lol...Cant remember if I spoke to the Captain on deck on Monday and he said they had closed the ports and were going to check on Tuesday to see if it was safe for the ships to come in.. We arrived through the cut in St. George as usual and with the calm seas. The Government of Bermuda has thanked NCL for faith in Bermuda according to the Bermuda Gazette yesterday. It seemed strange with only two cruise ships in, we never met up with the NCL Crown... downtown Hamilton was relatively quiet as was the Dockyard which actually seemed very, very quiet..

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Bermuda (GOS) on Sept. 26th and 27th. We toured all over the islands, from the Dockyard to St. George by bus (a GREAT way to see the islands!). The only damage that we could see was the result of the wind-whipped sea water---much of the vegetation (trees, flowers, shrubs) was completely brown from the wind and salt. However, much of the vegetation was still beautiful and green! We cancelled our planned stop at the Botanical Gardens, because the Visitor's Bureau staff person told us it had been hit pretty hard by the salt water. She suggested a couple of other gardens that sounded great, but we ran out of time and did not get to visit.

We saw no damage to buildings, shops, restaurants, etc. It was a busy "business as usual" time when we were there.

Archived