Contemplating HAL booking...

ChefStomp91

My fiance and I are looking at different cruises for our honeymoon. We found the December 2007 10 day Ryndam Mexico cruise to our liking. I have cruised on Princess and RCI and he has been on RCI. I have been reading reviews, looking over websites, watching the travel channel, and asking my TA for info about HAL.

I would appreciate any and all opinions - good and bad - about this line. I have heard mixed things - great food and service, older clientele (we are in our late 30s), excellent state rooms, plumbing troubles, etc.

We like going to the shows, dressing up for dinner, spending time by the pool, some shore excursions, and all the other cruisy things. We're not big partiers and don't frequent dance clubs (he suffers from the white men can't dance syndrome).

We are looking for a nice, relaxing, romantic honeymoon and thought this ship and line might provide that. Any help would be appreciated.

My fiance and I are looking at different cruises for our honeymoon. We found the December 2007 10 day Ryndam Mexico cruise to our liking. I have cruised on Princess and RCI and he has been on RCI. I have been reading reviews, looking over websites, watching the travel channel, and asking my TA for info about HAL.

I would appreciate any and all opinions - good and bad - about this line. I have heard mixed things - great food and service, older clientele (we are in our late 30s), excellent state rooms, plumbing troubles, etc.

We like going to the shows, dressing up for dinner, spending time by the pool, some shore excursions, and all the other cruisy things. We're not big partiers and don't frequent dance clubs (he suffers from the white men can't dance syndrome).

We are looking for a nice, relaxing, romantic honeymoon and thought this ship and line might provide that. Any help would be appreciated.

You will love HAL. I think it's a good thing to go out of your comfort zone and try something different. From what you've said...I think you will enjoy a 10 day HAL cruise. Have fun..and congratulations!:)

Chefstomp91 -

We took our first HAL cruise this past August. We have been on 15 cruises in total...but never on HAL. We booked the Med on the Noordam. The HAL product is excellent. The entertainment isn't always my "cup of tea", but many people enjoy it.

We enjoyed HAL so much, we already booked a Mexican Riviera cruise this Nov.

I am sure you will enjoy HAL as we did. We are in the same age group as you.

W84me

From the list of "likes" it sounds as if HAL could be a good match for you. The Ryndam is a lovely, small (by today's standards) ship. The decor is traditional, the service unobtrusive, friendly, prompt.

The only thing that's out of line with what you list is that HAL does tend toward an older demographic, and on the 10-day cruises on Ryndam this will be evident. The passengers will be well-traveled and interesting, however, and you may find yourselves enjoying the company. :)

From the list of "likes" it sounds as if HAL could be a good match for you. The Ryndam is a lovely, small (by today's standards) ship. The decor is traditional, the service unobtrusive, friendly, prompt.

The only thing that's out of line with what you list is that HAL does tend toward an older demographic, and on the 10-day cruises on Ryndam this will be evident. The passengers will be well-traveled and interesting, however, and you may find yourselves enjoying the company. :)

I couldn't agree more with RuthC. The people that you meet on HAL are amazing. We have dinner with just our family, but at lunch we always ask to share a table. The stories, the life histories, and the flat out interesting people that you meet were over the top. The food was very good and the service outstanding. If the Ryndam has a thermal suite make sure to get the package for the both of you. It will be like a private ship within a ship. Perfect for newlyweds!

Thanks to all who replied. The more I read and look around, the more I am convinced that we will be taking the Dec. 13, 07 cruise for our honeymoon.

I was wondering - how long do you have to be married to have the vow renewal ceremony performed. I originally wanted to get married on a cruise ship with just the two of us - but because of family whining - I will do it in Lake Tahoe.

But I was reading on the HAL website that they do vow renewals. Would they care if my vow renewal was two weeks after my wedding date??? Do I bring my marriage license to show that I am married.

This to me would be an excellent compromise - I get my cruise "wedding" and our family gets to see their kids get married. It is a first wedding for both of us - which is why the family is making such a big deal.

Any thoughts or experiences. Thanks so much.

Thanks to all who replied. The more I read and look around, the more I am convinced that we will be taking the Dec. 13, 07 cruise for our honeymoon.

I was wondering - how long do you have to be married to have the vow renewal ceremony performed. I originally wanted to get married on a cruise ship with just the two of us - but because of family whining - I will do it in Lake Tahoe.

But I was reading on the HAL website that they do vow renewals. Would they care if my vow renewal was two weeks after my wedding date??? Do I bring my marriage license to show that I am married.

This to me would be an excellent compromise - I get my cruise "wedding" and our family gets to see their kids get married. It is a first wedding for both of us - which is why the family is making such a big deal.

I can related I wanted to get married on the ship just us two but my fiancé's family won't have it so where getting married on march 8 and sailing march 10.

Their gonna have to put up with a wedding mid week as 8 is my lucky #.

Jenn and Dave: It doesn't matter if you've been married 1 hour, 1 day, or 50 years. They will happily take your money and provide a beautiful service for you. What a wonderful and happy idea. You'll be in love, you be a newlywed, you should grab at every happy memory that you can.

BTW Welcome to the HAL boards, you will have an amazing cruise.

We like going to the shows, dressing up for dinner, spending time by the pool, some shore excursions, and all the other cruisy things. We're not big partiers and don't frequent dance clubs

Sounds to me as if HAL would be wonderful for you. I particularly recommend the Vista class ships. Congratulations and have a GREAT cruise!

Turia - Are those boxers in your avatar. My dog Emma is a boxer lab mix. I love boxers. They are so adorable and have so much energy and are a laugh a minute.

And Merced Mike - I checked out your link to your pictures. Those are amazing!!! What a history you have. :)

We did the ROV ceremony on the Oosterdam last April. It is a very nice ceremony, although it is not elaborate.

All couples who have booked the ceremony are present at the ceremony. The captain presides. In our case, he said a few words and then called each couple up to the front of the room individually. It is not done as a group. He then has the couple recite a little set of renewal vows; I suppose you could substitute your own if like. Just let them know ahead of time that you plan to do so.

As each couple finishes, the ship's photographer takes two or three pictures. The description of the ceremony refers to a single photograph, but we got three or four, plus an album that is nicer than the one they sell in the photo shop.

There was a string quartet and champagne and hors d'ouvres were serverd.

The whole thing lasted about half an hour. There were three couples when we did it. We and another couple had been married 30 years each. The third couple had been together for 60 years. They were a hoot. We sort of informally hooked up with them the next day on a shore excursion in Puerta Vallarta.

Here is the description from HAL's website:

Recapture the moment you first said "I do" with a romantic Renewal of Vows package, including flowers in your stateroom upon arrival, an invitation to the Renewal of Vows ceremony which includes fancy hors d'oeuvres and select beverages, a certificate presented by the ship's Captain, dinner one evening in the Pinnacle Grill and a 6x8 photograph with photo album. (Additional guests may be invited to your ceremony for an additional per-person fee of $12.50 USD).

Turia - Are those boxers in your avatar. My dog Emma is a boxer lab mix. I love boxers. They are so adorable and have so much energy and are a laugh a minute.

And Merced Mike - I checked out your link to your pictures. Those are amazing!!! What a history you have. :)

Yes those are my boys Bo & Polo or as my niece likes to call them BOPOLO. They are wonderful but full a life the fawn one is still a baby (1 year and 3 months) believe it or not 65 pounds and growing the brindle is 3, I wish I could bring them with me but They'll be in good hands while I'm gone. Is that a picture of yours?

Hard to say how romantic your cruise will be, but . . . my husband and I DID meet on a Ryndam 7-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Then we had our honeymoon on the 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Statendam.

There will be no questions asked regarding the vow renewal -- I don't think they even care if you are actually married.

A few things to remember for newlyweds:

1. Make sure your cruise reservation is made in the SAME NAME as your current passport, not the new married name. If they don't match, you don't sail.

2. You both WILL need a passport. Driver's licenses, birth certificates, etc. will no longer count. Get it well ahead of time.

3. Take your marriage certificate, not for HAL but for local authorities in case of emergency.

3. Once you are on board, you can simply inform the stewards and other staff you meet of your new name, and they will remember it.

4. If you are in a cabin class that has personalized stationery (full suite or veranda suite, I think), let the Neptune Lounge concierge or the front desk know of your new married name, and they will reprint it for Mr. & Mrs.

5. Come out of your cabin once in a while, and check all the pieces of paper that come under your door so you know what and where the activities are.

6. After your cruise, you can mail in your passport and have it endorsed with your new married name at a reasonable charge.

Have a wonderful time!

I have read quite a bit about this size cruise ship. Most are quite positive. I have sailed Vista and I have to say of all the large ships I've said, I like this the least.

For the length of the cruise you are looking at, have you considered Oceana Cruise Lines? It looks absolutely wonderful for what you describe you are looking for and the reviews are excellent. Just a thought as an alternative to a beautiful period in your lives.

:)

Jenn and Dave, Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and you will love a honeymoon cruise. DH and I had a cruise honeymoon and there is no better.

I haven't been on the Ryndam, but judging by HAL's other smaller ships I would highly recommend it. Judging by what you say you like, I think it will be a great fit for you.

I do NOT recommend the Vista class ships on HAL. JMO.:o

The other alternative for the Mexican Riviera is always Celebrity. I don't know if they do cruises there that time of year, but if so that would be another great fit for you and their M class ships are wonderful.

Again, best wishes and congratulations to your both. Let us know what you do!

Congratulations!!! We had our first HAL cruise when we were about 36 and 38. We loved it. Had a wonderful time. Enjoyed the service, great food, and quiet, soothing atmosphere. We were on Maasdam, same class as Ryndam. Loved the small size of the ship, which was still impressive to us, and totally enjoyed the feeling of being at sea. There can be glitches on any ship, but we have had very few problems and those that can be resolved are taken care of quickly. I think you'd have a wonderful time, but don't expect to be wowed by large, open public spaces because HAL ships are designed with lots of smaller conversation and reading spots, not lots of areas for big gatherings. I find them "cozy" and since we like that feeling, it works for us. Have fun!!!

Just MY opinion, we have been on RCCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL and last Oct. we went to Mex Riv on Celebrity. The service on X was the best of any we have ever had. We went on the Mercury. As past RCCL cruisers you ARE eligible for the rank that you are on RCCL. If that means anything to you, and extra coctail party, free drinks.

I'm sure the service on HAL will be fine for you and the age of the cruisers will be varied and there are wonderful people there.

10-12 days at that time of year will keep the kids down as most are at school and the ports don't offer a lot for kids to do. If that is important to you.

Im sorry, but the shows were not up to the level of any of the other lines we have been on. The best I could say is that the showgirls were as good as the other lines. We do not cruise just for the shows so we find other things to do.

We are going this Oct on HAL to the carribbean, once you get the "bug" to cruise you can't stop.

Best wishes to you both, I'm sure whatever line you decide you will have a great time.

I hope you have posted your question on all the cruise lines you are considering. Everyone has a favorite, but what they are looking for varies.

I am reading more HAL now because we leave in 5 weeks, I follow the ship I am going on next.

My favorite line WAS RCCL until we went on Celebrity.

It is a first wedding for both of us - which is why the family is making such a big deal.

What a world we live in when this is considered out-of-the-ordinary and cause for extra celebration! But certainly congratulations and best of luck in your new life together.

Definitely do the Renewal of Vows ceremony. It's a little cheezy but definitely romantic, and if you get really lucky (like my wife and I did) there won't be any other couples signed up for it so you'll get a private ceremony. As to renewing only two weeks after your church wedding, not only will HAL allow it but I bet if you write and let them know they will want to write about you in their magazine!

Also make sure your travel agent notifies HAL that you're celebrating your honeymoon. They will do little extra special things for you, but only if they know!

Thanks for all of the additional posts. I did check into other lines, but could not find any at that time of year for the Mexican Riviera. That is why we are looking at this particulare one.

As far as the shows - we live in the Reno area - which is considered the ugly stepchild of Vegas. Some of our shows could be considered Sub-Par. We are the type that if it sounds remotely interesting - we will go. If not, we'll go play gin (actually he plays gin - I lose).

Turia - yes that is our baby Emma in my avatar. We resuced her last December. She has so many of the boxer traits and that is what made me fall in love with the breed - she is a constant source of amusement. She has her pet sitter who takes care of her when we go where she can not.

As far as booking - is there really any difference between using a TA and booking directly with HAL. I used a TA for the RCCL cruise and probably could have done just as well myself.

Thanks again.

Oh oh!!! You've come up with a "hot topic". I'll warn you now that if anyone ventures into this thread now and sees your question, off we go:) .

Hopefully that won't happen. There are those on here who will tell it's better to book directly with HAL and they have many good reasons. Personally, because I don't need any handholding at all and book solely by price, I check a few internet agencies I trust and go with the best offer.

I have always done better with an internet agency than any rate quoted by a brick and mortar or HAL. But others will tell you they do better with HAL.

For your own good, check some internet agencies and then go on the HAL site and see how their prices compare.

That's the fairest advice I can give you. There can be quite a range of price difference in some cases and not so much in others. Good luck:)

The question was not meant to offend nor inflame. I have used a travel agent for both of the cruises I have taken. I just wanted to get as much info as possible.

I will check the internet agencies as well and with the TA we used for our RC cruise earlier this month (it seems sooo long ago). Thanks for the advice and the warning. :)

Turia - yes that is our baby Emma in my avatar. We rescued her last December. She has so many of the boxer traits and that is what made me fall in love with the breed - she is a constant source of amusement. She has her pet sitter who takes care of her when we go where she can not.

It doesn't surprise me that she's part boxer from that pose she's taking. It is very commendable of you to have rescued her it's good to know that there are people like you out there.

You should join us on the other thread about pets and entertain us with Emma's antics.

Turis - Where is that thread?

Also - we are now looking at the Volendam for a Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise for the same period of time next year. Read something about private cabanas and couldn't resist looking. So now I have two itineraries to consider.

Still haven't found anything on any other line for 1) those itineraries, 2) that length of time (10 days), and 3) that time of year for those itineraries - so it will probably be HAL. Now which itinerary to choose.

Archived