Is there any danger at Stingray City?

efan82

I believe they trim the "barb" on the stingrays in captivity that they let folks touch.

At any rate, as long as they don't feel cornered, they are quite docile. He swam right above the fish and the camera man was blocking its exit. The ray reacted in a predictible manner--it was just dumb luck that it hit Steve where it did--the fish did NOT attack him for no reason!

Friends were on a cruise and did the StingRay city tour.... He got back on the boat and she didn't -- the boat left ....He ran to the captain to tell them they left her behind -- and the captain just told him that she's have to find another boat to get back to the dock on... not as dramatic as the couple from La. in Australia - but he was plenty worried.... she did figure it out eventually and got on a different boat - but it didn't get back until well after the one she was supposed to be on... she ended up on the last tender of the day -- at least she didn't miss the big boat, too!

I believe they trim the "barb" on the stingrays in captivity that they let folks touch.

At any rate, as long as they don't feel cornered, they are quite docile. He swam right above the fish and the camera man was blocking its exit. The ray reacted in a predictible manner--it was just dumb luck that it hit Steve where it did--the fish did NOT attack him for no reason!

These rays are not debarbed. They are freely swimming in their native environment. They are wild. The greatest risk getting stung though is by stepping on one. Listen to the guide and how to shuffle walk on the sandbar and you should have no problems.

We just did Stingray City last week, right after Steve Irwin died. We were a little nervous because of it, but once we got into the water with the stingrays, we felt perfectly safe. If you don't do anything to irritate them, they won't feel the need to protect themselves.

The last time we were at Stingray City in Cayman one of the guides got stung, he had lost his balance and stood on one. We all had to get back on the boat quickly and an ambulance was waiting at the boat pier to whisk him to hospital. He was able to walk off the boat, but he did feel rather unwell.

It happens but let me put it in perspective. I hear about dogs attacking people daily and sometimes it's fatal but not often. Does that mean that I won't go near a dog? The chances of me getting bitten by one is a lot greater than me getting stung by one of the rays. Those rays have been around people for nearly 50 years. The one that stung Steve was much bigger and most likely wasn't accustomed to people. As stated before...be careful not to step on them and you'll be fine.

I would have to guess that there is little danger in Stingray City. As mentioned, the rays are not as large as the ray that killed Steve Irwin. In addition, the rays at Stingray City are accustomed to swimming with humans all around them and probably no longer perceive humans as a threat. I have been to Stingray City several times and the rays continally swim between my legs or brush up against me. You just need to keep in mind that although the rays are accustomed to people they are still wild creatures. In the case of the guide being stung when he stepped on a ray, the ray just reacted instinctively. The good thing about Stingray City is that the water is both shallow and very clear so the rays are easy to spot and a chance encounter in not likely. I will definitely be going to Stingray City on my next cruise.

The last time we were at Stingray City in Cayman one of the guides got stung, he had lost his balance and stood on one. We all had to get back on the boat quickly and an ambulance was waiting at the boat pier to whisk him to hospital. He was able to walk off the boat, but he did feel rather unwell.

That had to be embarrassing.

I went to sting ray city a few years ago with my husband and 9 year old son. I don't scare easily, but was overwhelmed by the amount of them and when you have so many in one spot they look large enough for me (I'm 5' 3" 120lb). The water was above my waist and they run into you often because they can't see (?). That being said, my 9 year old FREAKED out. The water was obviously higher for him and he had to be take back to the boat. As for the barb, No danger there.

We just did the Stingray Swim and Snorkely in Antigua, but I have always loved stingrays anyway, so I wasnt worried. However, we were briefed by our guide before even leaving the boat for the enclosed area that stingrays do not possess any muscle control in their tails and their tails only go where their body goes. Now I dont know if they can swim backwards or not, but I have yet to figure out how Steve Irwin got a barb through his chest. In any case, we had stingrays all around us and especially when you have food they swarm you LOL but these stingrays are used to people so as long as you remain calm and dont threaten them, they are very docile and serene, beautiful animals :)

we went to sting ray city- i was a little nervous - the guide had buckets of food for us to feed the rays- i did not want to feed them but only to watch-told the guide this!- after we got in the water, the guide rubbed the food on my leg and those rays came in a flock and seemed to be trying to mouth my leg...............freaked me OUT- i shot up and out of that water - walked across it and onto the boat that brought us there.............. I would go do it again- and this time would hopefully not panic like i did before.......lol

I think we all need to remember that stingray deaths are extremely rare and the chances of being stung by one are very rare as well.

I wouldn't let a freak occurrence like what happened to Steve Irwin hinder you from enjoying what could be a magical experience. :)

Archived