Should some food items be upgraded?

drfun48

While I consider Celebrity's food to be the best of the mass market cruise lines,and generally very good,there are a few items that could use an upgrade.

Bagels---not the real deal. Have never seen boiling water. Simply very nice "bagel-shaped" bread product.

Lobster---a far cry from the live Maine variety,often rubbery

Hors d'orves in suites---very disappointing-send me the cheese and crackers.

Coffee---no explanation needed.

Any others ?

While I consider Celebrity's food to be the best of the mass market cruise lines,and generally very good,there are a few items that could use an upgrade.

Bagels---not the real deal. Have never seen boiling water. Simply very nice "bagel-shaped" bread product.

Any others ?

I agree that the lobsters are nothing like Maine lobsters. On the other hand, it would be a sin to freeze Maine lobsters, and I don't think they'd do well crawling around the kitchen for days until cooking time (they'd trip the staff!)... so I don't know how to fix that one!:D

Lisa

(originally from Maine)

I agree that the lobsters are nothing like Maine lobsters. On the other hand, it would be a sin to freeze Maine lobsters, and I don't think they'd do well crawling around the kitchen for days until cooking time (they'd trip the staff!)... so I don't know how to fix that one!:D

Lisa

(originally from Maine)

How about using one of the kiddie pools?

How about using one of the kiddie pools?

No thanks. We all know what the kiddies do in the pool :) . I dont want my lobster hanging out in there <smile>

Just got off Zenith today. The lobsters they served us Thursday for formal night were probably 8 oz. and could melt in your mouth. So maybe they are upgrading. I had never been served a lobster this size on any cruise, before and it appeared everyonel at this seating received comparable sized lobsters, this was no fluke.

Lisa

(originally from Maine)

This is why Rock Island tails are served in many places, not just cruise ships. On the same note, I wouldn't want to be eating a whole Maine lobster while in formal attire. That is more for casual wear, lots of papertowels, and for some - bibs.

The braised beef thingy... Argentinian sauce? It's the night to book the specialty restaurant:(

Baked Alaska

glad someone really enjoyed the Lobster: on our last Celebrity cruise all of us, (8) ordered Lobster, none got anything close to an 8 oz tail; holy cow: most said theirs was good, I got the one that was mushy. I would rather have had it rubbery. I should have sent it back. As for upgrading it, that would be very difficult. I think we have to accept it is frozen and hope for the best. I don't think there would be anyway to have Maine Lobster on a Caribbean cruise. NMNita

glad someone really enjoyed the Lobster: on our last Celebrity cruise all of us, (8) ordered Lobster, none got anything close to an 8 oz tail; holy cow: most said theirs was good, I got the one that was mushy. I would rather have had it rubbery. I should have sent it back. As for upgrading it, that would be very difficult. I think we have to accept it is frozen and hope for the best. I don't think there would be anyway to have Maine Lobster on a Caribbean cruise. NMNita

Everyone at our table was astonished when the lobsters were served and apparently it was like this at both dinner seatings. We thought we were going to get the regular itty bitty ones, so ordered extra tails for our table.

The tails were served to each guest still in their tail shells, and then individually deshelled--and no joke--had to have been 8 oz or close. We were almost embarassed when the extra tails came out, but of course it didn't stop us from devouring them! :p

It certainly was not the typical lobster night and a few of us wondered if these tails were "special" since the cruise itself had been a diverted one--maybe they were picked up during the cruise and were not frozen? After all, there were only about 800-900 passengers on this cruise.

This is why Rock Island tails are served in many places, not just cruise ships. On the same note, I wouldn't want to be eating a whole Maine lobster while in formal attire. That is more for casual wear, lots of papertowels, and for some - bibs.

OK, I will admit that I usually stand over the kitchen sink when I take my lobsters out of the shell. Very hard to do in a restaurant! I don't usually eat them in public unless I have no choice.

And I do rather like drfun48's idea of keeping them in the kiddie pool until cooking time. Bit unfair on the kiddies, though!:D

Lisa

Everyone at our table was astonished when the lobsters were served and apparently it was like this at both dinner seatings. We thought we were going to get the regular itty bitty ones, so ordered extra tails for our table.

The tails were served to each guest still in their tail shells, and then individually deshelled--and no joke--had to have been 8 oz or close. We were almost embarassed when the extra tails came out, but of course it didn't stop us from devouring them! :p

It certainly was not the typical lobster night and a few of us wondered if these tails were "special" since the cruise itself had been a diverted one--maybe they were picked up during the cruise and were not frozen? After all, there were only about 800-900 passengers on this cruise.

Have to agree with Cachecara here. We're just off the Mercury, (9/15), and I told our waiter Moises to give everyone at the table an extra lobster tail. Everyone (six pax total) was stunned that I should have the audacity to do such a thing but Moises just broke out laughing and said "But of course!" And they were absolutely delicious. Not too salty as previously reported, and expertly removed from their shells at the table by Moises.

BTW, not to sound smug, but Moises really stepped up his attention to us when I offhandedly mentioned, early on, that we (read "I") were part of Cruise Critics. He said that Celebrity really does read these messages. ;)

Any others ?

Maybe the desserts!

I admit that I am picky with desserts, but I thought the desserts on Princess were awesome, but only so-so on Celebrity. Not that I'm complaining, because I gained alot more weight on my Princess cruise. :D However, I loved the rest of the Celebrity food, and didn't even mind the coffee. Some of the appetizers were better than others, but that didn't matter since they brought me a shrimp cocktail every night just for the asking. ;)

I thought the food on the ship was good.

If I had to choose two things to improve on- they would be the ice cream and the bacon. The ice cream could be creamier (less icy) and the bacon could be thinner and more crispy.

I liked the Lobster, coffee and I don't get the in cabin appetizers- three big meals a day is enough for me! The bagels weren't bad- I had one every morning with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

As for really good food- try the spa cuisine by the Spa pool- very good and not "mass" produced.

Archived