Need currency in Turkey and Egypt...

saddlebrooke

My wife and I will be touring for two days in Turkey and two days in Egypt this November. Is it necessary to get the local currency or will merchants in both countries accept USD? This will start when you get off of the cruise ship with purchasing VISAS at the port. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Terry

Turkey uses the Turkish Lira, easily available from ATM systems, but they are also quite happy to take US $ and Euros, Euros are preferred between the two. Just know your excahnge rates!!!! Very important.

Thank you so much for the information. We are eager to visit Turkey and hope that Princess does not cancel it from the itinerary.

If there is anyone with knowledge of what currency would be accepted in Egypt please post a short note.

Terry

egypt uses the egypt pound....make sure you dont get any left when you leave as you can cash it in anywhere else inthe world.....

dont know the direct rate to usd but 1 egypt pound is equal to about $3 New zealand and at the moment one NZ dollar is equal to 65c USD....ill let you math that one out!....

Egypt is very cheap....great country....cant rave about it enough hope you have a great trip. Ive been there 5 times and 6 next year...if i can help you with anything to do with it...please dont hesitate to ask!

egypt uses the egypt pound....make sure you dont get any left when you leave as you can cash it in anywhere else inthe world.....

dont know the direct rate to usd but 1 egypt pound is equal to about $3 New zealand and at the moment one NZ dollar is equal to 65c USD....ill let you math that one out!....

Egypt is very cheap....great country....cant rave about it enough hope you have a great trip. Ive been there 5 times and 6 next year...if i can help you with anything to do with it...please dont hesitate to ask!

Thank you for your advice. I can probably get the Egyptian pound at local ATM's while there.

Anything in particular to shop for in Egypt? I heard that gold was one thing but we are not really interested in gold at this time.

Terry

sorry...been away....shop in egypt....where to start!!! Crystal.....funnily enough they make quite a bit....antiques, if you can carry them home they have some amazing architectural pieces...doors, portals etc.....on the smaller range., dont bother with guys trying to sell you Authentic antiquities.....you cant buy any real pieces..but you can get some interesting islamic pieces. I have quite a collection of the Koran.....havnt managed to read it yet! but they are covered in beautiful mosaics and semi precious jems...... I must admit to just browsing there now, most of my pleasure is derived from just soaking up the incredible atmosphere. I envy you going....roll on sept when ill be back there myself. roscoe

sorry...meant to mention.....cant remmeber seeing a lot of atms in egypt....the Banks will accept USD in fact...there is a huge traffic in the dollar at most shops but you will get the best rate of exchange at Banks. I can recommend the Marriott beside the Nile as one of the most amazing hotels to stay at if you havnt booked yet let me know and ill give you the details.

• 1 year later...

Do Egyptian merchants accept US dollars and Euros at a favorable rate when making purchases, or as with some European countries, rake you over the coals with very unfavorable exchange charges/fees added to the purchase price if you use USD or Euros which they claim is necessary because it cost them money to change foreign currency to their local pound

Do Egyptian merchants accept US dollars and Euros at a favorable rate when making purchases, or as with some European countries, rake you over the coals with very unfavorable exchange charges/fees added to the purchase price if you use USD or Euros which they claim is necessary because it cost them money to change foreign currency to their local pound

It was my experience that most shops will give you a standard 5 Egyptian pounds to the dollar. The actual exchange rate is (as of today) 1 dollar = 5.47 Egyptian pounds. So for small items, if you wish to pay in dollars, you are not losing too much. However, for large items, I'd recommend that you pay in Egyptian pounds or use a credit card.

Also, I found plenty of ATMs to use. There is usually one in all major hotel lobbies (used several of those) as well as outside bank branches. Our guide never had a problem locating one quickly for one of our group when needed.

As for what to buy, I found some of the inlaid wood boxes to be absolutely beautiful and reminiscent of the carved woodwork in the mosques (and coptic churches). Be sure to go to a real store and don't buy the cheap pieces in the bazaars. Even the very well-done boxes are not that expensive.

Archived