Do you think RCCL has done a bad job with Celebrity?

RCCLCARIB

Has anyone read any financial report anywhere stating the occupancy levels of any cruiseline? It would be nice to read how "full" each line is and how much more capacity will increase as new ships enter the fleet.:confused:

Here's news from the competition.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/21/business/NA_FIN_EARNS_US_Carnival.php

DH and I started cruising in 1976. We loved the Chandris line and followed along as it morphed into Celebrity.

We also cruised RCI who, in the early 90's, targeted itself to upper middle class people who wanted a relaxing traditional cruise experience without non-stop activities.

We dislike the large RCI ships (radiance class and up). We feel that service and food were of lower quality on the big ships. Over the last few years, we have cruised on the Empress of the Seas. However our last two cruises on her have left us very disappointed with the food and the type of people sailing on her.

We feel that RCI is trying to attract Carnival and NCL cruisers who want a different cruise style that the one RCI originally offered. I don't understand why anyone would take a cruise and pay to eat in Johnny Rocket's and Ben and Jerry's or want biscuits and gravy for breakfast or fried chicken for dinner in the dining room.

Celebrity also appears to be slipping downward.

I feel that RCI will soon be the equal to Carnival and NCL. Celebrity will be a step above.

It is funny that in its push to compete with Carnival, RCI may be pushing us to Carnival. We are trying HAL for the first time in October.

I hope that those in the Miami office at Celebrity are reading this thread. Up until our recent 12 night Med. cruise on the Millennium, we would not have considered booking another cruise line. (We have cruised Celebrity twice to Europe, twice to Alaska, and are holding space on the Constellation next summer to the Baltics ...basically because it is a great itinerary).

However, based on the reviews I have read on HAL and even Princess threads, it seems that they are constantly making changes to better their product. I also think the amenties they offer their suite guests as well as loyal passengers far surpass those offered by Celebrity.

It seems that the Celebrity product has become a little stale and tired and in need of a little "freshing" up. However, I am not confident that RCI has any plans to give Celebrity the attention that is needs. It seems that they are more focused on ordering/launching new ships than giving Celebrity the attention it needs.

Based on what I have read over the past several months on the Celebrity boards, I get the feeling that many who have been loyal to Celebrity for several years are now open to looking (and booking with other lines).

Unfortunately, it seems that headquarters is doing very little to reach out to it's loyal customers. Frankly, they give the impression, particularly their "customer service" division that they just don't care if you sail with them again.

I will say that the crew on their ships do a remarkable job under difficult circumstances and always seem to do their best. We have been very impressed with all of those who work on the ships. It just seems that management is indifferent to some/most of the issues that have been raised on these boards.

I would love to see Celebrity introduce some new and exciting changes to their onboard experience. I would particularly like to see some upgraded amenties (even if it means paying a little more) and an overall emphasis on sprucing up the staterooms and not waiting for a major overall/refurbishment (such as with the Century) to make needed changes to soft goods. The carpets, draperies. bedding, sofas, towels, all need to be replaced on an ongoing basis.

I hope that someone at headquarters is listening. Unfortunately, I am not holding my breath.

Nancy

Archived