Recent flyers - Lipstick OK in purse???

SandyR5

Hi - I know they have loosened some current restrictions as to "liquids".

Were you allowed to carry lipstick in your carryon? Going on a long transatlantic and besides having to pack my contact lenses and solutions I'm going to be a mess with chapped lips if I can't pack a lipstick. Would love to hear from some recent flyers. Thanks

Actually, regular lipsticks were allowed on our last flight 2 weeks ago but I couldn't bring on my stick dye and gel lipsticks. They went in my checked luggage and leaked like crazy. It was a good thing that I put them in plastic bags. An expensive loss.

Actually, in reading that website, I'm wondering if it's accurate. It says you can bring corkscrews and metal scissors (as long as the scissor blades aren't longer than 4 inches). They don't allow an eyelash curler, but they allow a corkscrew? I had a corkscrew taken away when it was in my purse.

Until now, I've always brought my make-up case on board with me. It is a hard case, and it doubles as my foot rest. I keep a small pair of blunt-end scissors in it for incidental occurances. It always passed security, but it got searched every time. One day an attendant told me to just take the scissors out and lay them on top, and when they saw they were blunt they would let them go through. Never had a problem afterward.

Now I have to check my make-up case, because I have too many liquids in it. :(

When all of this started a couple of months ago, we were on a cruise, and had to figure out how to pack to fly home differently than the way we packed to fly out originally. I inadvertantly forgot my lipstick and chapstick in my purse, and they either didn't catch it or let it go through. And this was right after all of this started!

Shay

Hi - I know they have loosened some current restrictions as to "liquids".

Were you allowed to carry lipstick in your carryon? Going on a long transatlantic and besides having to pack my contact lenses and solutions I'm going to be a mess with chapped lips if I can't pack a lipstick. Would love to hear from some recent flyers. Thanks

Just read through the whole link (travel.gov) and you CAN bring a lipstick in purse as long as it's totally solid! NO gloss, etc. Only solid lipstick, thank heaven, I can't imagine no lipstick on a 9 hour flight!!:) I too will be flying a looong one for our next cruise.

My sis, flying domestic just 2 days ago, told me the lady next to her pulled out gloss before landing. You know, they are just going to catch some of the stuff. A friend flying to Rome the beginning of the month was clever to buy a lip pencil, the real pencil kind which is so inexpensive, because pencils aren't banned, but pens are, according to sis, even on domestic flights.

I just want a bottle of water, darn it! Anyone know if they are selling bottles of water on flights, now? I am pretty confident that they aren't just handing them out.

Did you say that pens are banned?? That doesn't make any sense and I haven't heard that one before. I always have a few pens in my purse...especially on an international flight when you have to fill out a customs/immigration form while on the flight. What airline was that?

My sis, flying domestic just 2 days ago, told me the lady next to her pulled out gloss before landing. You know, they are just going to catch some of the stuff. A friend flying to Rome the beginning of the month was clever to buy a lip pencil, the real pencil kind which is so inexpensive, because pencils aren't banned, but pens are, according to sis, even on domestic flights.

I just want a bottle of water, darn it! Anyone know if they are selling bottles of water on flights, now? I am pretty confident that they aren't just handing them out.

As to the water, I suppose it depends on the airline. We flew on Continental and I was shocked that they actually served a meal for free. No problem getting water. Flew on AA three months ago and I think we got the usual soft drinks, etc but absolutely no food for a cross country flight. Makes me wish British Air flew domestically, our airlines could learn a thing or two from them.

I just flew yesterday, from Honolulu on Hawai'ian Airlines. Our flight left from the International terminal, so I could see all the signs that were posted regarding what could go on flights be they international or domestic.

Hard lipstick, meaning the stuff in the twist-up tubes, is fine. In fact, in the duty-free stores there are stickers and signs anywhere in the makeup section that say what you can buy and bring on board and what you can't, and the hard lipstick is definitely allowed.

Regular ball-point pens are fine. I don't know about refillable fountain pens, though.

Duty-free liquor is a little tricky. Someone I was talking to in the airport got on a Hawai'ian Airlines international flight from Sydney to Honolulu and was allowed to bring a sealed/wrapped duty-free purchase of whiskey. But when she got to Honolulu and was re-checking in for her Hawai'ian Airlines domestic flight from Honolulu to Maui, she was told she had to put her whiskey into her checked luggage.

Hawai'ian airlines is generous with their drinks service, they came through the cabin twice and also set up a self-service bar where people could get water and drinks throughout the flight. First-class passengers were also given their own bottles of water.

As I understand it, they are giving out water, but often are running out since requests are so much greater now. Suggest asking for it as soon as you board and take as much as they'll give you on the first drink rounds onboard. Also, check that government link, listed earlier, frequently. They update it whenever changes are made but don't always announce that they have. I printed the most recent one before our last flight (in Aug.) so that I could present it if challenged on my lipstick. Also bought a very light color that I could use often for moisture without color.

We've always been able to ask for water on any flight - do you mean they aren't allowing flight attendants to pass out complimentary water?

No. The TSA is not allowing passengers to bring their own bottles of water on, even if they are sealed, even if they were bought "inside" security. No passenger carried-on drinks of any kind are allowed EXCEPT breast milk/infant formula going along with a child under the age of 12 months.

Since people aren't bringing their own water, the passengers go through the on-board supply of drinking water much more quickly.

One silver lining to all this: since people can't bring gels etc on board and have to check more luggage, boarding is so much easier. People aren't slinging heavy barely-legal (size-wise) bags around, and there's tons of space in the overhead bins. Of course, the downside to this is that baggage claim now takes forever since so many more bags are being checked.

Did you say that pens are banned?? That doesn't make any sense and I haven't heard that one before. I always have a few pens in my purse...especially on an international flight when you have to fill out a customs/immigration form while on the flight. What airline was that?

Since things have just changed, maybe this is moot, but my sis was on United, I believe, but it could have been American (from Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago). She borrowed a pen from me for the rest of her land stay, saying they were disallowed. There is liquid (ink) in the tube, of course, albeit a tiny amount. Her chemist husband said maybe nitro could be put in a pen.

No. The TSA is not allowing passengers to bring their own bottles of water on, even if they are sealed, even if they were bought "inside" security. No passenger carried-on drinks of any kind are allowed EXCEPT breast milk/infant formula going along with a child under the age of 12 months.

Effective Tuesday, September 26 http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

"After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft."

Yes, absolutely lipstick, gloss, contact lens solution are all fine as long as they are under 3 oz and are packed in a clear ziplock bag for easy inspection. We travelled through SFO on Tuesday and had been at sea when they changed the rules, very happy to see this but wish I'd not packed my Gloss :)

Archived