New Englanders:Could you update us on this fall's colors?

MSUcruisers

Hey Jan, how's it going up your way. Thinking about a weekend in Bar Harbor in three weeks for our anniversary. Can you tell me anything about the Grand?

The leaves along the southern coast are just starting to show some color with some reds showing up in the maples. Don't know what the rain is going to do to the leaves over the next couple days.

Rich - I don't know anything about the Grand - but, I have to call down to the island tomorrow - I'll see what I can find out - it looks lovely - we always stay in SW Harbor. Some of the shops will be closed at that time, should be much quieter than in the summer (unless a ship is in).

Lovely time of year to visit - are you taking your son? Will you be driving up route 1? I really enjoy just taking our time and going the coastal route - so many different small out of the way towns to visit on the way up.

Flew into Logan on Monday and then drove back up here - really noticing the leaves now ... winter is coming very fast (we leave for our cruise on the 27th) then will have to think about snow....

Going to take our son next time (15 yr old)- what itinerary has your son liked best? Jan

I'll get back in touch tomorrow. Jan

Rich - I'm not going to be much help, the people I talked to hadn't been in the hotel and didn't know anything either way about it.

I've seen the outside and it is very impressive looking (it only been around for a few years, and if memory serves me correctly, there was a little flack in town about building the hotel ... but then one never knows how the town will react to new "stuff".

If you do decide to stay there let me know what you think. Jan

Hey Jan, still figuring out if we are going. A little nervous about having the kid stay home by himself even though good support in the neighborhood. Also I will be winterizing homes for KeepMEWarm that Friday as part of a college (USM) project. Hope to have this figured out this week. I love playing tourist during the off season. I love the peace and sollitude of the towns this time of year.

Today's Portland Press Herald reported today that the leaves are changing very strangely this year. It can be read HERE. Around Portland, the trees are still very green and full.

Rich - we left our 15 yr old son home alone overnight for the first time this summer - it was the hardest thing I have ever done - he was fine ... a million and one people to check on him, but wow it was rough. I'm proud of his maturity, he was fine, I was a basketcase! Good luck with your decision (and congratulations on another anniversary!!). Jan

BRRR very cold last night!! Down in the 20's i believe. I had a plant pot out on the picnic table and it had a bit of water in it, it was frozen!!!

Just went for a walk across the new bridge here that connects Verona to Prospect. Beautiful day out!

Aunu - How do you likie the new bridge? They had a picture in the BDN today - I actually liked the old one (although it was very scary) - but not as scary as the one in Deer Isle.

Beautiful afternoon today - love the cold mornings and the 60's day - at least we haven't seen snow yet. Jan

Jan~ i actually like the new bridge, not going to be so scary going across it ( i hope). The big green one was really narrow and if there was a car coming the opposite it was close, even worse with a BIG truck. Where i work we have a great view of the bridges so we've been watching the progress. Ive heard that when the observatory opens you will be able to see up to 100 miles???!!! They are saying its going to be a big tourist attraction. Seems kinda odd to me but oh well. Do you think you will go up in the observatory?

I will probably go look at the bridge at least once - I don't know if I will go up in the observatory as I don't like heights or ledges .. but probably DH will convince me to go.

When we would cross the old bridge I always had DH drive and I would shut my eyes until we got to the other side .. such a chicken!! Jan

We got back from the Star Princess yesterday, Oct. 14. We were too late for most of the colors in Halifax and Saint John, NB. Colors were just about peak in Bar Harbor (Acadia was spectacular). Leaves were starting to turn in Boston and Newport - scattered leaves changing. Our drive home along the New Jersey Turnpike to Maryland has as much color as Bar Harbor!

Debbie

We also just got back from a cruise to Canada/New England from Oct. 5-through 16th on the Constellation. Our itiniery included Boston which while doing a city tour there was some color. In Bar Harbour while touring Acadia National Park it was spectacular. Oranges, yellows, and reds. In Halifax, just some color. In Quebec it was the only port that was overcast, windy and cold but we took a Countryside excursion where out there was alot of color. Reds, oranges and yellows. In Portland Maine leaves were starting to fall but there was some color especially out by the Portland Head Light and in some of the downtown areas. If someone has any quesitons abut the itiniery or ports let me know.

Marilyn

Debbie - I'm so sorry that your husband had an emergency - I don't know if I would really like being on a cruise by myself if it was unexpected.

mii - I'm glad the leaves co-operated in Bar Harbor. I think it probably stands each year that between the 10th-15th is the best time around here. Jan

We also just got back from a cruise to Canada/New England from Oct. 5-through 16th on the Constellation. Our itiniery included Boston which while doing a city tour there was some color. In Bar Harbour while touring Acadia National Park it was spectacular. Oranges, yellows, and reds. In Halifax, just some color. In Quebec it was the only port that was overcast, windy and cold but we took a Countryside excursion where out there was alot of color. Reds, oranges and yellows. In Portland Maine leaves were starting to fall but there was some color especially out by the Portland Head Light and in some of the downtown areas. If someone has any quesitons abut the itiniery or ports let me know.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn - welcome back!

Glad you had a great trip!

-Theresa

Archived