Airline Seat Assignments

I'm having an issue with the Air/Sea department regarding my flight seat arrangements. I changed my flight on 9/30 to arrive the day before departure. The rep I talked to confirmed our party of four had seats all together. I checked US Airways website on 10/1, didn't have confirmed seats for our outbound flight, but did for the flight home.

When I called RCCL on 10/1 was told their "seat confirmation department" did not work on weekends, that our seats would be confirmed on 10/2.

Lo and behold, no confirmed seats, so I called RCCL again. This rep told me I had to call US Airways and ask them to confirm seats. I did, and US Airways told me I had to call RCCL.

To make a long story short, we now have seats all over the plane. What if I was traveling with little children?? It isn't cheap to use this "custom air", so I'm a little ticked at the RCCL reps, who may I add were not very nice.

Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know what I can do next?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for the help,

Mommompork

(Kathy)

When you check in at the airline, just explain & you'll probably be able to get seats together. Sometimes they change the type of plane & it throws off the seating arrangements. Wouldn't hurt to check in a little early. Good luck!

I'm not familiar with the US Airways website but I know on American you can go to the website, plug in your flight information and choose seats for each of the passengers in your party. I travel frequently and even though the travel agent makes my seat assignment, I usually go in and pick out my own seat.

When I do use the RCCL custom air arrangements, I have always been able to call RCCL and find out their seating for us, (60 days before the cruise). If I do not like them, I then call the airline myself and choose my own seats. Even if RCCL had them assigned already, I am able to change them with the airline over the phone. I never had a problem doing that with the custom air.

To be honest, I'm not concerned about sitting by myself, but my daughter and her boyfriend (he's never flown) are scared to death to fly. He wanted to drive to Miami and meet us. I thought being together would help them out a little.

Thanks for all your responses. I learned my lesson, will certainly book my own airfare next time - for the Liberty sailing on 10/13/07!

Thanks again

mommomporkchop

(Kathy)

To be honest, I'm not concerned about sitting by myself, but my daughter and her boyfriend (he's never flown) are scared to death to fly. He wanted to drive to Miami and meet us. I thought being together would help them out a little.

Thanks for all your responses. I learned my lesson, will certainly book my own airfare next time - for the Liberty sailing on 10/13/07!

Thanks again

mommomporkchop

(Kathy)

Call the airline and explain why you would like them together. It is not too late to try and change them.

Good Luck. ;)

Just be prepared - that you'll probably have to call again sometime down the road. Your flight isn't until 10/07 - flight schedules are likely to change before then -- maybe several times. Every time a flight is changed, the seats need to be reassigned. So -- keep checking and stay on top of it.

Just be prepared - that you'll probably have to call again sometime down the road. Your flight isn't until 10/07 - flight schedules are likely to change before then -- maybe several times. Every time a flight is changed, the seats need to be reassigned. So -- keep checking and stay on top of it.

Mine was changed several hours before I left for the airport this time. I received a phone call and email advising me both my flights were canceled. It worked out well for us, but it was a scary few minutes until I was able to check things out on their airline website to see what was happening. They had put us on two other flights that turned out better than the first ones we had.

cruise lines usually by seats at bulk rates, and as such, some airlines will group them together in the least desirable location, or scatter them among already reserved seats. although we almost always use rccl or other lines air, just as soon as I learn what flight(s) they have booked us on, I call that airline and get our own seat assignments. never had an airline refuse to change.:)

What difference does it make if you all sit together? Make new friends and don't worry about where you sit. At least you're all on the same flight!!!!

I would think it would make a huge difference to parents travelling with younger children, and it would certainly make a difference to those seated with the kids if the parents were at the other end of the plane. Not that the kids would necessarily be a problem, but I prefer not to sit next to someone else's small child.

Personally, I don't care to sit with strangers and don't really want to "make new friends" on a flight. I prefer to sit with my DH and/or family. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

beachchick

DH and I just returned from our cruise yesterday. Both ends of our flight had us sitting apart. We just went to the desk where we check in and asked them if they could arrange for us to sit together and they did. I don't know if all airlines will do this but Northwest was very nice about it! :)

It doesn't matter who you booked with, the airlines are always changing seat assignments. The bottom line is you will have to go the the website or call and get them re-assigned.

I have already re-assigned our seats 2 times for our 10/22 flights. You will need to keep checking them.

Good luck,

Carol

As a frequent flyer, I agree with all the suggestions made on this thread. US Airways should be able to change your seats before the flight, if any are available.

If US Airways cannot change your seats, once you get on the plane, just politely ask if passengers would be willing to switch seats so that you can sit together. The key word here is "politely." Don't get upset if someone refuses, especially if you're asking them to switch from an aisle or window seat to a middle. I've been asked to switch seats many times and I have always done it except for one time when I was asked to switch from an aisle to a middle. That ain't gonna happen!

Also, do not assume that people will switch seats and sit in the seats you would like and then ask the original seat holder to switch. It's very annoying, to say the least, when a passenger boards and someone is in his/her seat and that person asks if they would mind switching.

In summary, just be polite, ask first and don't be surprised or annoyed if people won't switch. They may have paid a lot of money for a particular seat, or may have earned it by flying all the time with US Airways.

FWIW.

I've had this problem and they had my family all over the plane, including my then 4 and 6 year old. What I've done is actually asked other passengers if they would move to keep some of us together. Most people are incredible and certainly understand. In return, if I am flying alone, I take notice if someone next to me is separated from who they are traveling with and offer to move for them.

I work at the ticket counter for USairways.Pre assigned seats are given out until about 70 percent of the seats are taken.Once it hits that percentage the computer blocks out the remaining seats until day of departure. There are seats remainig that are together but you cannot access them until at the airport on day of departure .This cannot be done on the phne day of departure it has to be done at the airport.Get there early and you should be able to get seats together.As an example row 17abcdef are almost always airport blocked till day of departure on all flights.

What difference does it make if you all sit together? Make new friends and don't worry about where you sit. At least you're all on the same flight!!!!

Sheesh! Dont be judgemental or anything like that!

Some people are shy, some people have had bad experiences with fellow air passengers, some people simply dont want to meet anyone new!

If I were going on vacation with 3 of my friends or family, I would want to sit next to them on the plane!

Why do you have to harass OP?

You may want to consider precluding your posts with "Why not do your best to make lemonade out of lemons and....."

I am familiar with USAir website, and it is very easy to view available seats, and change them if they are open. Just put in your booking confirmation number if you have it. If you aren't successful that way, arrive early at the airport, and ask for emergency row seats. Those are usually not able to be assigned, until you check in at the airport. Hope it all works out!

Kathy

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I will certainly get to the airport early (5:00am :eek: ) to try to change our seats. If my two frightened flight companions are still apart, we will talk to some other passengers. I myself have moved quite a few times so people traveling together could sit together..it is the right thing to do.;)

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Hope you all enjoy your cruises.:D

Freedom here we come! 11/5/06

Mommomporkchop

(Kathy)

We actually have this problem all the time. Nowadays the flights are so crowded that it's hard to get seats together. I can't tell you how many times I've flown with my 2 small children and had to ask someone to move because my 4 yo just cannot sit by himself (obviously!). Most of the time people are very nice, but I do hate asking. I'd rather just have my seats assigned and be done with it.

For our cruise on FOS, thanksgiving week, we originally had booked air through RCL. Luckily a few days before our final payment, I had the sense to think it through and cancelled the air, and we then booked our own air. We did have to pay more, but it was worth it to me to have the flights and seats I wanted. My TA told me if we had let RCL do it we would have most likely been scattered throughout the plane and it's Thanksgiving week so not much could have been done, except the old "will you switch?" . Again, something I didn't want to deal with at the end of my cruise! We will always do our own air from now on.

Archived