How would you handle the situation?

Sea King

Let's suppose you're working out in the gym and the music for the exercise class is so loud you can't yourself think, let alone listen to your own ipod.

You speak with the person in charge and ask if the music can be lowered.

You're told in blunt terms "no" and the person walks away.

What would you do?

Would you speak with the GRM or someone else?

Would you not do anything other than to comment at the end on the survey?

Would you do nothing but post something on the boards?

Just curious

I personally would go to a higher up and ask for the volume to be turned down.

there is a group at my gym that when they are there always put the music or the TV full blast and it isn't too long before someone either asks the attendants to or they themselves turns it down , and there are usally a lot more people with thankful looks on their faces than there are angry ones that the music was turned down.

This is a good question. While I may not like the loud music, the next guy might. Gyms have a tendency to blast music to create energy. Some of us might take our new found energy out the door.

As for me, if it bothered me, I would probably put it on the comment card at the end of the cruise and I would do so knowing that for everyoe who hates the noise, someone else loves it and it is impossible to please everyone.

Given the increasingly reasonable cost of technology, personal music and ear phones will probably become the norm in most gyms, in the not too distant future.

I would also go to the GRM and if that didn't work the HotMan. I would definitly get the correct name for the comment card. I always thought they were trained to do their best not to say no. This is disconcerting as I saw the same complaint in a recent review.

I would also go to the GRM and if that didn't work the HotMan. I would definitly get the correct name for the comment card. I always thought they were trained to do their best not to say no. This is disconcerting as I saw the same complaint in a recent review.

I wonder what the gym or hotel manager might do if one guest wanted the noise and another did not. A lot of people really and strongly prefer and even seem to feel they need it loud, because it gets them moving. How does a business please both customers and no matter what, it will tick off someone?

If it were me, I would error on the side of silence is golden and know that someone is going to write me up.

Let's suppose you're working out in the gym and the music for the exercise class is so loud you can't yourself think, let alone listen to your own ipod.

You speak with the person in charge and ask if the music can be lowered.

You're told in blunt terms "no" and the person walks away.

What would you do?

Well, first I'd ask for an explanation. If I wasn't satisfied with the answer I'd speak to the person's supervisor. No need to escalate too quickly - that only irritates a number of people (including those whose head you've gone over :rolleyes:).

But, then, I've never actually noticed music playing in the work-out areas on board....

I agree completly. I saw the same review with the same complaint. In a couple of weeks, DW and I will be going on our first HAL cruise. This past spring, on a CCL cruise, the music was blasting by the pool area. Impossible to relax. If we had to walk through that area, it was quickly, with ears covered. We hope the Maasdam will not have that music blasting. And we both are music lovers - just not blasting.

Harvey

I would talk to someone about it ... and if I tended to spend a lot of time in the gym, I would go to the GRM if the fitness center/spa manager couldn't help me.

It's one thing if the majority of the people in there want it loud. Hey, majority rules. But, if it's the instructor turning it up ... and not at anyone's request, then I'd give a shout out to see if anyone else in there prefers it loud, and if not ... believe me, that instructor would be turning it down before long.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It did happen to DH once. He has always gotten to know the people who work in the gym. So asked them if they could please turn down the RAP music -- they did -- no problem.

Must have been a lot of kids on that sailing. Rap music? On a HAL cruise?

Somehow that just doesn't make sense.

Of course, maybe it's me. I can't stand that music ... in fact, to me, it's not even music. It's talking ALONG to the music. I could go into a recording studio tomorrow and record a rap song. So, I know it sure ain't real music. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

It really depends on how many people don't like it. One has to remember that on a cruise, there are many people to please. If the majority don't like the music, I'm sure something would be done. I have been on many cruises, and try to deal with whatever I run into. One person ( or a few) will not make a difference if the other 100 or more at the pool are enjoying themselves, and I would never expect someone to cater only to me when others are involved.

I think we can all agree that unlike in a library, you'll often find music in a gym nowadays. Hammy said it best, the music is there to provide energy. We have a gym at work where some of the young guys blast acid rock out of the speakers, again for energy and a strong workout (I hate acid rock but Lawrence Welk doesn't really fit). I read the original post where that OP relayed his interaction with the fitness instructor. He asked to have the music turned down; she responded with "no", turned her back and walked away. That is unacceptable and I would confront her with it. If I'd get a smiliar response, I would talk to her supervisor, the Spa Manager. To me it would not as much be the volume of the music but the type of response I would get.

On HAL, the work out (machines/treadmills/free weights, etc.) area is smack right next to the aerobics area. Aerobic classes (and other similar classes) are generally taught with motivating music (great music to work out on a treadmill too, BTW). If possible, there should be an acceptable balance between the volume of the exercise music and folks working out and listening to their I-pods and/or Walkman's. Sometimes that is not possible and the folks on the treadmills, etc will have to live with it. In this case however, it's the type of response and 'tude of the fitness instructor that I didn't care for.

Ah but isn't the crux of much of what we post here on the boards that "I" want it turned down..and if "I" want it, who really cares about anyone else?

*just teasing (in part) but thinking of threads about dress code, diapers in the pool, and alcohol policy*

and not inferring that that is where OP was coming from.. just got that devilish glint in my eye when some folks mentioned that we ought to take into account the wishes of others..

Ah but isn't the crux of much of what we post here on the boards that "I" want it turned down..and if "I" want it, who really cares about anyone else?

*just teasing (in part) but thinking of threads about dress code, diapers in the pool, and alcohol policy*

and not inferring that that is where OP was coming from.. just got that devilish glint in my eye when some folks mentioned that we ought to take into account the wishes of others..

Sometimes what "I" want is not always possible!;)

I believe it was my OP on the Statendam that prompted this thread. To be clear-I did not ask or tell her to do anything. I courteously went over and asked her if there was anytime we could exercise in the gym without the loud music. Until she came in there was no music on. She said "no". So, rather than walk on the treadmill I walked the hallways and deck. I don't care much for treadmills anyway and there are no recumbent bikes anymore. And, there was no exercise class in session, but only three or four of us in there all with headphones. The only person wanting the loud music was the staff person (at least at that time).

I reserve contacting the hotel manager for occasions like my wife being held by US Immigration because of erroneous information provided by the HAL GRM. And even then, I got no reply.

FWIW

Gary

My first response would be to question when could I use the treadmill and my earphones without being blasted out of the gym. If the answer was "never" (similar to the "no" answer from the attendant) I would go up the chain of command to complain.

Sufficient music for "energy" during a class does not have to be at a level than can cause deafness. If the purpose of the loud music is to keep the employee entertained that is not acceptable, either.

If no compromise could be found it would most certainly be on my comment card.

If as the OP indicates, the loud music was being used as part of an exercise class such as aerobics, step, spin classes, then such music is essential, and in order to really pump up the participants it really can't be too subdued.

While in an ideal world it would be good if such classes were held in a soundproof studio (as occurs in most major gyms) space constraints do not allow this on cruise liners. Given that such classes only occur once or twice a day, if exposure to loud music really offends then I would suggest people time their gym visits so not to coincide with such classes which are clearly indicated on the daily news sheet.

By their very nature, gymnasiums are intended to energise and pump up its participants and I suspect it depends on what age demographic you belong to as to whether "loud" music offends. A little tolerance on both sides goes a long way.

...You're told in blunt terms "no" and the person walks away...

What I find most disturbing about your description is the apparent rudeness of the staffer.

If he/she had taken the time to explain that there was an aerobics class going on and the music needed to be loud, or offered some explanation and was polite about it, I would just chalk it up to personal preference and let it go. I might be tempted to lodge a minor complaint via the comment card.

But, if the person was as rude as your description seems to indicate, that is a different story entirely. I would have immediately complained to anyone who would listen, not so much about the music, but about the rudeness.

I understand that there are many people on the cruise and I have to bend a little. After all, it is their cruise just as much as it is mine. But that doesn't relieve this person of their obligation to treat me and my request with the proper respect, even if the request can not be honored.

But then, I could be wrong.

Paul Noble

Archived