If I pay balance early...

gonna go cruising

Will I still be able to take advantage of price drops that take place before the final payment is actually due, even though I have made the final payment? Somehow I am thinking once paid in full it is set in stone. Seems Princess would want our money early if they can get it. Any experienced cruisers with info on this one?

Thanks!

But why would you want to pay off your cruise so early when it is not necessary? Just tuck the money away and wait until the final payment date grows closer. I would guess you could still get the price drop, if one occurs, but I think it would be much easier to lower that final payment instead of waiting for a refund.

But why would you want to pay off your cruise so early when it is not necessary? Just tuck the money away and wait until the final payment date grows closer. I would guess you could still get the price drop, if one occurs, but I think it would be much easier to lower that final payment instead of waiting for a refund.

Because I have the money to pay it now and if I put it away I may not have it later. I never even considered paying it early until tonight when my husband said to go ahead and pay it and it concerned me that we may not get the lower prices if there are any more drops.

I will think about it before I do it but would prefer it to be paid already.

We paid off our cruise almost a year early. Interest rates these days suck, and we needed the points to book our air. I'd rather pay the $6,000 up front than have to buy the 6,000 points needed for free flights. And now, it's paid for which is a huge plus :)

The answer is Yes! I often pay the final balance before the final payment date. If the price drops after you make payment (and it is still before the final payment deadline) you can ask for a refund. If booked directly with Princess they will refund the difference to your credit card within a day or two.

We paid off our cruise almost a year early. Interest rates these days suck, and we needed the points to book our air. I'd rather pay the $6,000 up front than have to buy the 6,000 points needed for free flights. And now, it's paid for which is a huge plus :)

OK, now you have my attention :) Points? Free Air? Please explain, I'm missing the boat on this one.

Points on some credit cards are accumulated for free airfare and/or hotels. We use ours for everything, save up until we have enough for free International airfare when we book our cruise. But the flights usually need to be booked when they open up, around 330 days prior. So you need to plan ahead.

I'm not the originator of this thread, but I would imagine the the situation is similar. We have a credit card thru a credit union that awards points for each dollar spent. Usually 1 point for $1. Then you can use your points for rewards - a site called CURewards lists prices and items. Flights w/in the US are 25,000 points for a RT ticket, cruises, hotels, rental cars, merchandise also available. The reservations must be made thru the approved travel agency for the rewards program. It is similar to the airline credit cards, but ours is open to almost all flights on all airlines.

I must also check into that points system.

Right now, American Airlines and Citibank are offering a credit card with 20,000 bonus miles just for taking out the card. If you took out the card, then paid off your cruise on it, you may have enough for a free flight.:)

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/ViewMileageProgramsPartnerDetail.jhtml?fileName=citiPlatSelectMasterCard.xml&repositoryName=AAdvantagePartnersContentRepository&repositoryId=16002725&itemDescriptor=AAdvantagePartnersContent

Aren't the c'lines very savvy about this? Much more so than we!? I would think that as the final payments become due, they would't budge on prices or allow us to change. We bought what we bought? 'Course, I am thinking it's like with clothes. Or other items that stores match sales of other companies. MY final payment is due in January I think and I KNOW THE PRICES WILL DROP ALOT AFTER THAT. So I can't get in on any reductions later, huh?

Aren't the c'lines very savvy about this? Much more so than we!? I would think that as the final payments become due, they would't budge on prices or allow us to change. We bought what we bought? 'Course, I am thinking it's like with clothes. Or other items that stores match sales of other companies. MY final payment is due in January I think and I KNOW THE PRICES WILL DROP ALOT AFTER THAT. So I can't get in on any reductions later, huh?

No. There are quite often price drops before payment is due. I originally made my reservation for my December cruise last March. In July there was a significant price reduction. I called my TA and they repriced the reservation for me and I saved $600. Yes, the prices drop even more after payment is due, but those prices are only available for new bookings.

According to my TA once you have paid in full, it is much more difficult to get a reduced price, but not impossible.

There are no advantages to paying in full before you need to, just disadvantages.

I paid early on a cruise last year, and there was a slight price drop. Because I had already paid in full, I could not get the refund until after the cruise was over and the TA was paid his commission.

Thanks. Since I havent gotten an answer from Princess yet, I will just wait.

Sorry to intrude, but I have a question to ask gonna go cruising

In webshots, you have a Lord Sheffield album. (BTW, your review was great! Our roll call has chartered this day cruise for Feb 13th 2007, and we're looking forward to it. I hope it's scorching hot so those water babse can douse me! hehe!).

In picture _MG_2144 you see a woman in the water with a pool noodle. There is something with a peculiar shape behind her under water. Do you know what that was? My best guess is that it's a flipper of a swimmer, but I thought it may also be a fish.

Once again, I appologize for intruding...

There are no advantages to paying in full before you need to, just disadvantages.

Ah, you are forgetting the piece of mind that comes with knowing your cruise and airfare are paid months before the cruise...

I guess it depends upon finances. Some people might carry a balance on their credit card(s) and so there is no advantage to adding to their credit balance earlier than necessary. But some people pay their cards off each month and have the money sitting in their checking account for the trip. The few dollars of interest that could be earned on the funds in checking by waiting until the last minute to pay in no way compares with the thrill and excitement of knowing your vacation is paid for prior to leaving. And the thrill of knowing the next three cruises are paid for is even better...

Ah, you are forgetting the piece of mind that comes with knowing your cruise and airfare are paid months before the cruise...

True, I had not considered the psychological angle. Also, if you pay in advance, and some financial difficulty pops up its ugly head, you won't be tempted to use that money for some necessity instead of a cruise.:)

If you are booking with Princess it may be O.K. If you are booking with a T.A. find out what their policy is going to be (cancellation fee and price reductions) and make sure they send you a letter or e-mail with that policy. If you pay now and then have to cancel before final payment and you have already paid the insurance then you might not get the ins. money back. If the final payment part that you owe is large, consider that if you have an emergency and need the money, it will take awhile to get it back. If you cannot trust yourself with the money, then by all means pay now.

I paid off our December cruise about 2 months early, having booked with Princess directly. When a fare reduction happened after that, it took just one e-mail to Princess to get it applied for a $250 savings. I chose to have the saving converted to an OBC instead of getting the refund to my CC, so I've basically paid the auto-tip as well!

Sorry to intrude, but I have a question to ask gonna go cruising

In webshots, you have a Lord Sheffield album. (BTW, your review was great! Our roll call has chartered this day cruise for Feb 13th 2007, and we're looking forward to it. I hope it's scorching hot so those water babse can douse me! hehe!).

In picture _MG_2144 you see a woman in the water with a pool noodle. There is something with a peculiar shape behind her under water. Do you know what that was? My best guess is that it's a flipper of a swimmer, but I thought it may also be a fish.

Once again, I appologize for intruding...

No intrusion at all. You are very observant! It is indeed another swimmer and their flipper or whatever it is called. That trip we did see quite a few fish and the water was crystal clear. Our last time was just as much fun but water was not as clear as there had been some storms. It is an incredible adventure!

No intrusion at all. You are very observant! It is indeed another swimmer and their flipper or whatever it is called. That trip we did see quite a few fish and the water was crystal clear. Our last time was just as much fun but water was not as clear as there had been some storms. It is an incredible adventure!

Thanks! your pics are great!

Thanks! your pics are great!

Thanks! They are pretty generic as I didnt get permission from my daughter to put her on there. The scenery to the stopping point (varies according to weather) is gorgeous. Make sure you jump off the bowsprit! Ride up there with the wind in your face on the way back, its fantastic.

Archived