Preference on Luggage Type?

gojojo

I'm looking for input on the good and bad of different types of luggage. Is hard sided better than soft sided? With weight restrictions I would think the hard sided would be heavier.

I'd like to hear your opinions on good and bad for size, ease of use, durability etc.

After I arrived in FLL for a cruise in August my hardside suitcase came back cracked on two of the corners on the top and along the back. When I went to the airline office to report it I was told that with the way the luggage handlers throw the cases around hardside luggage often get cracked.

I'm shopping for new luggage now and I think I'll get another hardside suitcase because I feel they protect the contents better (when they're not cracked) and I like their look better than softside suitcases.

I'm looking for input on the good and bad of different types of luggage. Is hard sided better than soft sided? With weight restrictions I would think the hard sided would be heavier.

I'd like to hear your opinions on good and bad for size, ease of use, durability etc.

We have used both hard and softsided....we found terrific inexpensive luggage by Lucas....lots of pockets to stuff full of things...especially good for my DH's shoes which take up so much space in luggage. We gave our DS and DIL a set for Christmas a couple years ago and they too LOVE IT. On our cruise in March 2 other couple went with us and yep...when they got home they purchased a set of Lucas.

I like soft sided luggage on wheels. I have had both, started with hard sided luggage first and went to soft sided. It looks better and stands up to the throwing around better than the hard sided, believe it or not.

Is hard sided better than soft sided?
I personally prefer very good quality soft sided luggage, with good wheels and a good handle.

I currently use a Victorinox suitcase, rather like this current model. It's wonderful; it's easier to wheel than it is to put it on a trolley and push. Even long inter-terminal transfer walks are a breeze. I've never had a suitcase that's been so good to use. And it has stood up very well over the years - pretty rugged.

I have a similar piece of luggage as Globaliser and agree with him that it is a superior piece of luggage. That said, I have a set of hardside American Tourister luggage that I purchased in 1983 or 1984, and they are still going strong after many cruises and flights.

I, too, like my Victornox luggage. I have one like this, except in the 22" size.

http://www.worldtraveler.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1175&itemType=PRODUC

It has traveled at least 150,000 miles and still looks pretty good. I have never used it as a back pack, but my stepson did when he went to Hawaii with his college buddies. It even survived that trip.

I don't like the Victorinox garment bags. I much prefer the Hartmann 50" Mobile Travellers. I have one I got at an estate sale about 5 years ago. It was in pretty good condition when I purchased it and has been on 8 cruises and four or five overseas trips. It holds a ton of stuff-2-3 suits, 4-5 long dresses, dress shirts, shoes and misc. I just purchased a new Hartmann 50" Mobile Traveller. Cost a fortune ($500 + shipping new on Ebay), but it should last the rest of my business traveling life. Am only taking the two Hartmanns and two carryons for a 14 day cruise + 7 day business trip. Should be more than sufficient, even with tuxes. suits and long gowns.

I have two theories on luggage-either buy the cheapie brands and hope for the best or buy expensive luggage that will last. If I only took a cruise or two and a vacation yearly, I think I would just buy the cheapie stuff new every year or two. The mid priced stuff seems to wear out or get damaged as fast as the cheapie stuff, so what did you gain?

Archived