How do you pronounce.....?

PescadoAmarillo

Hmmm...thought it was chi-vee-tuh-veh-kee-uh, with accent on the "veh"

Ignoring regional variations and not wishing to upset Greatuncle, but Nancy is absolutely spot on.;)

Phileas

Who was on a cruise visting Civitavecchia just 16 days ago, and wishing he was still enjoying the sun rather than the depressing rain of yesterday and today, and seeing new places and of course enjoying the ship's facilities!

Ignoring regional variations and not wishing to upset Greatuncle, but Nancy is absolutely spot on.;)

Phileas

Who was on a cruise visting Civitavecchia just 16 days ago, and wishing he was still enjoying the sun rather than the depressing rain of yesterday and today, and seeing new places and of course enjoying the ship's facilities!

Since you mentioned it, phileas - what did you do while in Civitavecchia? I suppose you went to Rome, like most cruisers?

It's appears to be a bit like the different pronunciations for Cozumel. Some (mostly English speakers) say Cah-zu-mel, and most Mexicans say Co-su-mel. I say it the latter way, too, and occasionally get some funny looks, but they're both right (I guess).

It depends on how many margaritas you've had ! :D

My sincere apologies - I should have checked first and not repeated what I heard on a travel programme.
Don't worry about it. News reports and travel programs call cruise ships "boats" and cabins "rooms" so they often don't know what they're talking about.

As Richard Joseph put it on our Island Princess cruise, "You can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat." :) Think about it for a minute and you'll see this makes it very clear.

Since you mentioned it, phileas - what did you do while in Civitavecchia? I suppose you went to Rome, like most cruisers?

Hi Nancy,

In fact we just chilled out completely that day. We even had lunch aboard the ship, and went to the local food market in the morning, and just wandered about the town absorbing some of the local atmosphere, during the afternoon and bought some Italian wine which is difficult to source in the UK.

We did not go to Rome as we have been there a couple of times previously for several days and have 'done' the majority of the major places of interest. Also my wife is recovering from a prolapsed disc in her back, and we knew that spending several hours in a coach, or even a couple of hours on a train, would not be a good idea!

Sorry that we have not come up with any great places or things to do.

Phileas,

Who is day dreaming of sunny Italy, France, Spain etc, whilst looking at the weather outside; howling gale, pouring rain.:rolleyes:

If everyone started calling places by their native names (setting aside cases of political controversy, and making allowances for the target language's sounds and cadences), that would probably be good; as I said, I'm glad that we've shifted to Pinyin from Wade-Giles. But let's keep some perspective, and recognize that this is a longstanding feature of many languages, one that's probably most aptly fought on grounds of practicality than ideology or even abstract "correctness."

from

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1154627594.shtml

There are hidden meanings in how we pronounce foreign words and names.

from

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/03/08/DD36847.DTL

If everyone started calling places by their native names (setting aside cases of political controversy, and making allowances for the target language's sounds and cadences), that would probably be good; as I said, I'm glad that we've shifted to Pinyin from Wade-Giles. But let's keep some perspective, and recognize that this is a longstanding feature of many languages, one that's probably most aptly fought on grounds of practicality than ideology or even abstract "correctness."

from

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1154627594.shtml

There are hidden meanings in how we pronounce foreign words and names.

from

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?

f=/c/a/2003/03/08/DD36847.DTL

Ok....is that English ????? lol

Archived