Avalon Waterways

seagoingJLW

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from the Artistry - Discovery Blue Danube. Meals on ship great, excellent soup selections, plenty of variety to choose from.

Not too thrilled about the excursions. I've asked abour the walking involved in these excursions and no one has given me an honest comment. Let me tell you, if you have problem walking and I mean walking a long distance, forget about going on any of these included or optional excursions. A LOT OF WALKING INVOLVED. Usually the tour bus will pick you up at the dock and go around the city for a brief half hour to 45 minutes then walk the rest of the way (about 2 hours walking) before they give you another 1 - 2 hours free time (which means on your feet again). The worst part was in Regensburg, after the walking tour of 1.5 hours, 3 hours of free time, we found out we had to walk back to the ship which was docked at a different place than where we got off. That took at least 45 minutes of straight walking, no sightseeing, no place to rest to butts, not even a coffee shop in sight. Straight walking over the STONEBRIDGE cross town and along the waterfront for 45 minutes.

Optional excursion to Saltzburg, a total rip-off. I guess the US$87 per person mainly was for the gas cause it involved a total of 3 hours bus ride to and from and NO LUNCH included.

Optional excursion to the concert in Vienna, if you are travelling in winter time or cold weather, make sure you ignore the cruise director's or the guide's instruction to leave your jackets or coats on the bus and go into the concert hall in your "evening outfit". After the concert we could find the bus, it was nowhere near the entrance, let alone what the guide told us that it would be parked right next to the entrance. 2 out of our group of 10 elderly people got a cold which lasted for 3 days.

Optional excursion to a Folklore dance and singing performance in Prague. Total waste of money. It was performed in a farmer's house in an outskirt area. A bunch of locals dancing and screaming (singing) in their living room floor and we sat around with dust flying all over the place let alone the BO coming from the performance and their "so-called" costumes. After the performance, we had to go back to the bus in total darkness, pitch black and on a dirt road. Thank God one of us had a mini torch light with us.

I wish people in the forum would be honest about their feelings. A lot of people were relying on these feedbacks.

Avalon/Globus is very green in the cruise business compared to the big cruiselines. They still have a lot to learn.

At the end of the cruise we were asked to fill out a survey. The above comments were handed to the cruise company. Also in talking to the fellow passengers, a lot, and I mean a lot felt the same as we did. Way too much walking. After the 3rd excursions, we specificall mentioned our feeling to the cruise director and asked him about the extent of walking involved in each of the following excursions but each time we were told that there would be minimal walking and we should definitely not miss out on the sightseeing.

Only in 2 cities out of all the places we visited, where there were trollies or special buses taking the elderlies who have trouble walking directly to the point of interests. All the local guides are a bunch of yahoos. They didn't bother to wait for the rest of group who were slower to catch and they started pointing out the buildings, etc. We were so fed up that by the 3rd excursions we took off on our own. In Prague, after they dropped us at somepoint, the guide told us that there would be another 1.5 hour walking and the bus will pick us up again at the old city centre. However we couldn't stay on the bus to wait for them to take us back to the hotel. We took off and hailed a cab back to hotel which was only 5 minutes and cost us US$10 for 4 people per cab. Later on we went back to the city centre by local streetcar (instructed by Hilton's front desk staff). Cost us $.70 per person return and took us 10 minutes to reach the city centre. We explored on our own and even went down to the Charles Bridge on our own. We found out later from the people who stayed with the excursion that they didn't even go to the Charles Bridges.

I don't know, we've been on so many cruises (big ships) and trips (2 times a year) always a group of 10 people, we've never encountered such experiences before. Other people may feel differently, but honestly, these are our gut feeling about the Avalon/Globus River Cruise !

Sorry to disagree with the last experience, but we had a completely opposite experience on our past Amsterdam to Budapest cruise aboard the Avalon Poetry. We wished there were MORE walking than the tours included and we always were eager to explore during our free time in various cities. There was always a bus and more transportation for the "slow" group among our passengers with walking problems which got them closer to the sights. We are physically fit 60 yr.olds who thought the walking was a breeze and after all, that's why you do a river cruise as opposed to those bus tours of Europe so that you can walk everywhere once you're off the boat.

As for the optional Salzburg trip, it was a beautiful bus ride through the countryside and well worth the price (no, we didn't want lunch included because we explored on our own and chose where we wanted to eat!!!). The optional Vienna concert was fine (I'm a college music prof.), the type of "tourist" show that one expects with good, solid performance and our buses were waiting immediately outside the door once it was over!

Our overall cruise experience was a positive one with the wish that there was more walking involved, not less (we walked back to the ship a couple of times and didn't take the provided bus just to get in some more exercise and to see some of the sights along the way!) Again, this was just our own humble opinion and people taking a river cruise should be aware that just as there is no elevator on the ship, there is walking involved with all of the tours ashore.

Congratulations then! I guess you are the lucky bunch! We were on Artistry from Oct. 13 - 26. My husband and myself are the youngest in our group of 10. We are in our late 50's and we play tennis 3 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week. We had our orthopaedic running shoes with us and we consider ourselves very, very, very fit. Still the walking was too much for us even let alone the rest of my group who are in their mid 70's and 80's. Well, I guess to each his own! I would not recommend this particular cruise for anybody who has problem with walking. Never, never take this cruise unless you check ahead of time that every city you hit there would be special transportations to take you close to the sights and MAKE SURE THEY DON'T LIE ABOUT IT !

Congratulations then! I guess you are the lucky bunch! We were on Artistry from Oct. 13 - 26. Budapest to Prague. My husband and myself are the youngest in our group of 10. We are in our late 50's and we play tennis 3 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week. We had our orthopaedic running shoes with us and we consider ourselves very, very, very fit. Still the walking was too much for us even let alone the rest of my group who are in their mid 70's and 80's. Well, I guess to each his own! I would not recommend this particular cruise for anybody who has problem with walking. Never, never take this cruise unless you check ahead of time that every city you hit there would be special transportations to take you close to the sights and MAKE SURE THEY DON'T LIE ABOUT IT !

• 3 weeks later...

We just came back from this 14 day cruise from Budepest to Prague. The hotels (both Hilton ) are excellent. The ship is sparkling new. There were a lot of walking on the excursions but the local guides are knowlegeable and enthusiastic. The food on board was gourmetly prepared but the variety is limited. Items such as shrimp, scallop,crab, clamari, lobstar, oysters etc.were totally absent for the duration of the trip. Captain's Farewell Dinner had cream of crayfish soup on the menu but served mussels meat in a crayfish soup base instead ; a complete misrepresentation with no explanation given. Desserts were very weak and hence most people ended up with ice cream.

Service on board was excellent. Shower booth is crammed for big bodies.

Cruise director , a Polish young man, cold and not enthusiastic, not really very popular with the passengers, actively solicited $3 Euro a day or $4 US per day "tips" for his service ; had a credit card machine handy if you want to tip him by credit.

Due to water levels and the operation of the locks on the waterways, some of the excursions were cut short. The optional concert tours in Vienna was not worth it since the orchestra apparent is assembled just to play for the tourists, If you think that you are going to the concerts of Vienna Philharmonic, then you would be greaty disappointed.

There is not much of any scenery on both shores.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going to be on the Artistry in July 2006 for our 40th (actually 41st) wedding anniversary. We are from Wyoming and everything in Wyoming is pretty casual. We are worried about what clothes to take. We have never been to Europe and don't have any idea what the weather is like. We will arrive in Prauge on July 17th. It looks like we should wear shorts and golf shirts. How warm does it usually get and is it a humid warm? We have 80 to 90 farenheit but our humidity is around 10 or 15%. We are looking forward to meeting other couples but don't want to stand out but want to blend in with the crowd. Thanks for any help.

We are worried about what clothes to take. We have never been to Europe and don't have any idea what the weather is like. We will arrive in Prauge on July 17th. It looks like we should wear shorts and golf shirts. How warm does it usually get and is it a humid warm? We have 80 to 90 farenheit but our humidity is around 10 or 15%. We are looking forward to meeting other couples but don't want to stand out but want to blend in with the crowd. Thanks for any help.

Usually in European countries if you plan to go into the Churches you should not wear shorts , knees and shoulders should be covered.

You would probably be ok with shorts and polo shirts I would pack a Blazer or suit jacket for dinner.

Zip-offs work great...you can take the leg bottoms off if too warm and if going into the church zip them back on.

Wyoming Traveler, if you go back to posts 14 and 15 on this list, they have suggestions of what to take. And while I pack a jacket or sweater because I am always chilly, Travelling Fools' post above sounds like one wouldn't be required (except to carry with you for visiting churches, etc.). I haven't gone yet, but everything I read leaves me to believe that river cruises are much more casual than ocean cruises.

We will have 2 1/2 days in Prauge and my wife wants to buy some Swarovski crystal beads while we are there. Any suggestions? We would also like to do some major sightseeing around Prauge. Does anyone have suggestions as what to see. I went online and found the top 10 spots to see in Prauge, but I want something more than touristy type places. Thanks Ter

Hi - a friend and I are taking our first river cruise, The Blue Danube Discovery, on the Poetry beginning May 26, 2006. We've also never been to that part of the world, except for Germany, which makes it all the more exciting. Anyone have info about the weather that time of year - Budapest, Vienna, several stops in Germany, and Prague - and if water levels may be a problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Planning a trip in the fall of 2006 on the Symphony. I have always wanted to see Europe so figured what better way than on a river boat. Someone in an earlier post had said that the average age is 55. Can anyone give any advice on how a couple of good looking, friendly guys in their 30's might get along on a trip like this? :) haha

Also...the day trips talk about alot of walking and sight seeing.....anything along the lines of hiking in the mountains or even a round of golf? I figure a long shot by why not ask???:)

Any advice for a couple of young single guys would be great! Thanks in advance.

Livestotravel and Travel Rookie,

Temps in May and September can range between mid 50ies and 80ies. My best advice is to dress in layers and check weather.com (or the German wetter.de) shortly before you´re leaving the US. Rain gear or at least an umbrella might be needed. You can be fortunate and have a sunny and warm (to hot) week but you also can have rain all week long (hopefully not :D ). Water levels can cause a problem all over the year. Spring floods might be already over in May but we had some severe floods in the middle of August last year and some years before.

Travel Rookie,

Guess you´ll feel like a kid on a river cruise being in your mid 30ies :D . Cruising the US rivers for more than 10 years now I´m used that the average age of my fellow travellers is much higher than mine. But I´ve always appreciated talking to elder passengers and never thought it was boring.

Sorry, but no golf or any mountains along the rivers. You´re far away from the Alps. Sure there are some bluffs and hills along the rivers and you might be able to hike there. Golf is a very exclusive sport in Germany and Europe. Usually you have to be a member of a golf club to be allowed to play. Few people are playing golf in Germany. I don´t think it´s worth to carry around all that stuff for just a slight chance to play. I saw some cruise lines offering special golf cruises. There´s a German company called A-Rosa which attracts a younger crowd and they offer more sports activities (I think they have mountain bikes available on their boats).

Anyway I don´t think you will have too much free time to spend. Usually you´re docking close to the center of the towns you´re visiting and it´s easy to explore the town by yourself. You might find a shop renting bikes. For activities without your cruise boat group I´d check the websites of your shore stops (usually you´ll find them typing the name and adding .de like www.regensburg.de). Most of the towns have tourist informations available in English too and they are happy to send out brochures.

steamboats

Last fall my friend and I took one of the river cruises on the Artistry with Avalon. And we had a wonderful experience. Our Budapest Hotel (Sofitel), was very close to the centre of the city. Upon our arrival on Friday morning our room was ready. (Even though we arrived much before the check-in time).

We embarked the Artistry Sunday afternoon; there was a bus that took us from the hotel to the ship, the drive was only 10 minutes.

MS Artistry is one of the most wonderful river ships I ever been to. The crew was nice, helpful and very professional.

Food was amazing, every evening three different menus to choose from. My friend is vegetarian and she had a fear that she would have to eat boiled veggies for the whole trip. (Which happened to us on the other cruise). But that was not a case with Artistry, where vegetarian options varied.

Our cruise director was young fellow from Poland named Robert. He was very professional, helpful and organized. Helped us a lot with the missing luggage, got us tickets to the Mozart concert in Vienna, etc.

The issue of tips was handled on the disembarkation meeting with our cruise director, who very patiently and gracefully explained to us all of the standard procedures.

There were plenty of optional excursions to choose from and these were not too expensive. I recommend: St. Andrew’s Village in Budapest, Salzburg in Austria, Terezin Concentration Camp close to Prague.

All in all it was a great experience. And we definitely want to come back for another river cruising with Avalon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Last fall my friend and I took one of the river cruises on the Artistry with Avalon. And we had a wonderful experience. Our Budapest Hotel (Sofitel), was very close to the centre of the city. Upon our arrival on Friday morning our room was ready. (Even though we arrived much before the check-in time).

We embarked the Artistry Sunday afternoon; there was a bus that took us from the hotel to the ship, the drive was only 10 minutes.

There were plenty of optional excursions to choose from and these were not too expensive. I recommend: St. Andrew’s Village in Budapest, Salzburg in Austria, Terezin Concentration Camp close to Prague.

My friend and I would like to plan dinner in Budapest. Is there any kind of orientation meeting the evening of the day we all arrive (Friday)? I assume the included tour would be the next day (Saturday) - is it in the morning, and what time did the optional tour you mention (St. Andrew's Village) end, so we can know what time to make our reservation. Did you have to check out of the hotel much before the transfer to the ship - did you have time for some sightseeing Sunday morning?

Also, do people dress up for the concerts in Vienna and Prague?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - recently I came across this:

"Visitors to the Czech Republic are now required to have health or travel insurance that covers medical services abroad, with minimum coverage of $35,000".

Has anyone experienced this requirement when arriving in the Czech Republic on one of Avalon's Danube cruises?

Your health insurance should be encluded in your trip insurance [what? you don't have any?] Well, I had come across the Czeck requirement and made sure that I had it in my package [ I had]. Then my TA called and gave me a heads up. Don't know what they'd do if you show up at the border without it. Probably make you buy theirs at some big $. Don't imagine they'd deny you entry.

Your health insurance should be encluded in your trip insurance [what? you don't have any?] Well, I had come across the Czeck requirement and made sure that I had it in my package [ I had]. Then my TA called and gave me a heads up. Don't know what they'd do if you show up at the border without it. Probably make you buy theirs at some big $. Don't imagine they'd deny you entry.

We bought Travel Protection Plus, but don't have our documents yet to read the "fine print". The brochure says we are covered for sickness medical expenses $10,000 - not enough. But then if you add accident medical covered for another $10,000 and emergency medical transportion at $25,000 it would add up to the $35,000. Our TA says we are covered - so I guess I'll trust her, and also trust that if there is "trouble at the border" Avalon Waterways, who are running the trip and sold us the insurance, will take care of it!

Archived