just a suggestion...

rada628

On my first cruise, I went with my mother. We chose the late seating at dinner because we figured we didn't want to rush back from port. I just returned from my first solo cruise. This time, I had the early seating and it worked great for me (especially on the first few days before I met people) I slept in late, went to lunch, a trivia game or two and BAM! it was time to get ready for dinner! I had a lot less day to fill up. Of course, by the end of the cruise, I knew plenty of people.

Just something for you to consider if you are planning your first solo cruise.

Hi:) I have been cruising solo for over 3 years now I always

prefer late seating.

(But that is just me). Main seating is in the 6:00-6:30 hour and

normally I am not even getting in the shower at that point.

I enjoy having a drink in one of the lounges before dinner every

night so late dining works out best fo me.

I like eating on the later side on any of my vacations, land

or cruise.

I don't worry about filling up my day. Sometimes I just sit

on a lounge chair with a book...read it some, and then close my

eyes and nap.

I do enjoy trivia as well but for me, late seating will always

be the best way.

Different strokes for different folks;)

I usually sail HAL, which has 4 seatings. I pick the 8:00 dinnertime, which maximizes my port time, and gives me time to get showered and dressed and enjoy an adult beverage before dinner.

I noticed when I had the early seating (traveling with friends w/children), we did more things in the evening because there was more time available. With the late seating, I eat, go to the late show, and that's usually about it. I tend to choose more active shore excursions, so by 11:00 or 11:30, I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Roz

I don't worry about filling up my day. Sometimes I just sit

on a lounge chair with a book...read it some, and then close my

eyes and nap.;)

Unfortunately, I am way too high strung to have that kind of vacation! lol I get a bit bored on sea days, and since my cruise had 2 1/2 on the way down and 2 1/2 on the way back, I would have been bored stiff. I am a late night person anyway and there is much more going on at night. The itinerary for this cruise was such that I didn't have to rush back to get ready for dinner, I came at the same time as I normally would have. Except for PR, which no matter which seating you have, you will be rushing back if you want dinner. It never occured to me that I might enjoy the early seating for these reasons, that's why I mentioned it, so solo cruisers will go hmmm....:) I think if was traveling with people, I would probably switch back to the late, but I'm not sure....

Hi everyone:

As you may notice from my signature area, my next solo cruise is the NCL Dawn on December 7th. I am intrigued by the freestyle concept, which allows me to eat with whomever, whenever. I haven't been on the Dawn before, so it will be interesting to see how it works out for me. I don't yet know if I will eat early or late. Still, I'm thinking one advantage to a bigger ship (regardless of line) is the availability of an alternative "diner" type restaurant where one can always grab some basic chow. On a larger ship I won't worry if I miss the main dining because there are alternative casual eateries, and if not that, I can get room service. On my April cruise aboard the Century I opted for the main dining. I looked at the depature times out of various ports of call and figured I would be back from shore excursions in time.

Happy sailing! :)

- Paul

Archived