Such horrible food

bartleby112

I have been reading alot of reviews recently about The Glory. So many have said the food was horrible. How bad can it be? I personaly put food at like less than 5% of the cruise when it comes down to importance on having a good time.

What would they relate the food to? TGI Fridays, or applebeese quality? It's been 3 years since my last cruise, and at the time i was 20 and food was the last thing on my mind. In all my cruises from my teenaged years i don't believe the food was bad at all.

The Barbecue ribs I had on the Carnival Miracle on the lido deck were the best I have ever had. I have been on 2 other cruises since and I have yet to find them on any other ship. The Tom turkey on the Celebration was also very good. I like the food.

I found the food quite good. I have to cut them some slack because they are preparing food for close to 3000 people and have no idea what they will be ordering. I am used to 5 star restaurants. I wouldn't put the food in that category, but much better than a Fridays. I only had one thing the whole week that I didn't care for in the dining room. It was a tough steak. I have gotten tough steaks at the Palm on occasion, as well.

I absolutley hate buffets, but the food was edible there.

Take every review with a grain of salt and enjoy yourself.

I have been reading alot of reviews recently about The Glory. So many have said the food was horrible. How bad can it be? I personaly put food at like less than 5% of the cruise when it comes down to importance on having a good time.

i've always found the food on Carnival to be good. Disney is the worst I've had. Celebrity is the best.

i've always found the food on Carnival to be good. Disney is the worst I've had. Celebrity is the best.

Just an example of how subjective food is.... I found Carnival food to be better than Celebrity!

I totally agree with you on Carnival, Disney & Celebrity foods....My exact words!

What would they relate the food to? TGI Fridays, or applebeese quality? It's been 3 years since my last cruise, and at the time i was 20 and food was the last thing on my mind. In all my cruises from my teenaged years i don't believe the food was bad at all.

Just off the Fantasy and basically the food is 'all show and NO go'. It looks purdy enough, but is barely edible. Filet Mignon you can barely cut let alone chew. Escargot that is old and should have been thrown away. Beef Wellington - well the pastry was hard to describe and impossible to eat and the meat was a grayish color. The pasta dishes were starchy, poorly prepared, and nasty. I'm sure the Italian Captain's moma would slapped his head, if she knew how bad the pasta was he allowed served on his ship. The Looobster was cold, tough, and rubbery. If I didn't have a steak knife, I would NOT have been able to even cut it. I only found one desert I really liked the entire cruise and I tried nearly all of them. Frankly, the quality and selection is much better at the Golden Corral and we rarely eat there. I guess when you pay less for a cruise than eating 3 meals a day at the Golden Corral, you really shouldn't expect too much. Keep your expectations really low and I'm sure you won't be too disappointed by Carnival. Do enjoy your trip, if you stay in a drunken stupper like some regular passengers we saw(and dined with), I doubt you'll even know the difference. At the buffets remember - no shoes, no shirt, dripping bathing suit with your bare cheeks hanging out -- NO problem -- (watch where you sit!). Be sure to wear your jean shorts and t-shirts for formal night dinner like the table behind us did. It's alot easier to cut the food, if you don't have to worry about messing up your good clothes. (Sorry if those were their good clothes).

:) We found the food to be very good when we sailed on the Glory, Dec 05. The only food that I did not really care for was the Chinese in the Red Sail. Really enjoyed the Fish and Chips and the deli! The dinning room food was good and the Emerald Room was GREAT!

Be sure to wear your jean shorts and t-shirts for formal night dinner like the table behind us did. It's alot easier to cut the food, if you don't have to worry about messing up your good clothes. (Sorry if those were their good clothes).

Sounds like you had a bad experience. Sorry for that. I haven't had complaints about the food, but like you, I did notice how the dress code on one of our cruises was completely ignored. The table next to us on our Victory cruise showed up to the dining room in shorts and tank tops night after night. Like you, that ticked me off too. After all, the buffet on Lido deck is exactly for this! I say Kick 'em out and boot 'em up to Lido if they show up to the dining room like that. Problem is, no one on board wants to be the "bad guy." So, the maitre d' just lets them in. Carnival should do something about this. If the rest of us can pack half way decent clothes for dinner, why can't they?

Sounds like you had a bad experience. Sorry for that. I haven't had complaints about the food, but like you, I did notice how the dress code on one of our cruises was completely ignored. The table next to us on our Victory cruise showed up to the dining room in shorts and tank tops night after night. Like you, that ticked me off too. After all, the buffet on Lido deck is exactly for this! I say Kick 'em out and boot 'em up to Lido if they show up to the dining room like that. Problem is, no one on board wants to be the "bad guy." So, the maitre d' just lets them in. Carnival should do something about this. If the rest of us can pack half way decent clothes for dinner, why can't they?

I understand you're not supposed to dress like a bum at dinner... I don't, and, unlike a lot of you ladies, I even pack a slip, but I digress... WHY do you guys let it bother you so much what other people wear to dinner? You're taking a vacation with thousands of other people you don't know and will never see again... all of you paid good money to go on a fun cruise. Why let something so petty get in your crawl?

I was on the Glory in July and thought the food was really good for cruise food. We had sailed on the RCI Explorer twice before that and in comparison we thought that Carnival had them beat hands down on food. The prime rib was excellent. I didn't eat the lobster but heard good things. We also ate in the Emerald room one night and I highly recommend spending the extra $$ to do that at least once. It was very special. The buffet was ok. They had a problem keeping the eggs warm for some reason but the breakfast in the dining room was great!

I cruised may years ago (like 20) on another line and back then everyone raved about the food on cruises and I do remember it being a lot nicer but the ship was smaller and not near the amount of people to have to serve.

I understand you're not supposed to dress like a bum at dinner... I don't, and, unlike a lot of you ladies, I even pack a slip, but I digress... WHY do you guys let it bother you so much what other people wear to dinner? You're taking a vacation with thousands of other people you don't know and will never see again... all of you paid good money to go on a fun cruise. Why let something so petty get in your crawl?

If I can take the time to dress myself and my kids nicely for dinner (and trust me....getting the kids clothes pressed and ready for dinner takes a lot of time!), i don't want to see a beach bum at the table next to me. SORRY. It is in my craw (not crawl), as I imagine it's in other people's too. Go to Lido. Dressing like a slob in a beautiful dining room with waitstaff dressed very formally night after after night is just disrespectful to them and to your fellow cruisers who take the time to follow the rules, not to mention that as a practical matter, the utter disregard for proper protocol just devalues the atmosphere and elegance of cruising. Nothing else you can post will change my opinion about this.

If I can take the time to dress myself and my kids nicely for dinner (and trust me....getting the kids clothes pressed and ready for dinner takes a lot of time!), i don't want to see a beach bum at the table next to me. SORRY. It is in my craw (not crawl), as I imagine it's in other people's too. Go to Lido. Dressing like a slob in a beautiful dining room with waitstaff dressed very formally night after after night is just disrespectful to them and to your fellow cruisers who take the time to follow the rules, not to mention that as a practical matter, the utter disregard for proper protocol just devalues the atmosphere and elegance of cruising. Nothing else you can post will change my opinion about this.

Not trying to change your opinion, sugar britches, just asking why folks let it bother them so. As I said, I look forward to formal night and dress up as do those with me. I, though, wouldn't let it spoil my whole trip if someone I didn't know showed up in jeans. I know that Carnival is the epitome of elegance. So ease up.

sounds like you think Carnival's a "trailer park trash" line. It's not, and don't think people shld try to make it that way. get my drift????

Didn't say that. Wouldn't be taking my family on one of its ships for Christmas if I did. Take a chill pill. Get my drift?

I was on the Miracle last month and the food in the dining room was fantastic. I had the lobster and I couldn't believe how they could prepare so many and yet they were cooked perfectly. I also had the escargot (wonderful), many amazing soups, a fantatsic tilapia dish and the beef Wellington was perfect. One dessert (chocolate melt thing) was probably the best I have ever had in my life, no kidding. The only thing I didn't care much for was the prime rib. Just wasn't the best.

Maybe it varies by ship or by chef or staff or sailing or something, but I am a "foodie" and I thought the food was GREAT!

Everyone's palate is different. MOST everyone on Carnival cruises seem to enjoy the food very much. There are exceptions, of course, but very few folks come here and complain about the food.:)

As far as attire - that should be taken up at the Cruise Critic Fashion Board.

sounds like you think Carnival's a "trailer park trash" line. It's not, and don't think people shld try to make it that way. get my drift????

Try watching hgtv sometimes, they have a great show called"million dollar trailer parks". There are million dollar trailors at these parks right on the beach. ;) Carnival food is subjective to everyones own taste. When the waiters and assistant waiters are dancing around Im sure that reminds you of the 5 star restraunts you have been to. What someone wears should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the evening unless you just like to whine.:)

When the waiters and assistant waiters are dancing around Im sure that reminds you of the 5 star restraunts you have been to. What someone wears should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the evening unless you just like to whine.:)

I LOVE you.

I wish the only thing in life I had to worry about was some perfect stranger wearing Levi's to dinner, the gal in front of me at the grocery store having 14 rather than 12 items, etc.

Given the very large number of meals served by Carnival each week its no surprise to me that some people had less than great experiences. Unfortunately mistakes do happen, even in good kitchens and dining rooms.

I just got off the Elation. While I was disappointed with the service temperature of some of the dinners taste, quality, nutrition and presentation wise I was very impressed. I had an Orange Roughy the would do any five star restaurant proud and a number of other dishes which they wouldn't be embarrassed to serve. Overall not 5-star dining but I would have a very tough time finding its comparable on land for the price I paid.

We can and probably should be picky. After all its the only way to encourage product improvement. But I've read some comments that really make me wonder if the author resides in the same universe, let alone ate in the same venue. Exaggeration to make a point isn't helpful. I know, I know, the same universe comment falls into that category ;) . Thoughtful and accurate descriptions are much more helpful.

To the OP. Food is important to me. Important enough that poor taste, quality, selection, or nutrition could be enough to ruin my cruise experience. In my evaluation of a cruise food rates just behind my number one, ship cleanliness. Feed me well and I can take surly or non-existent staff, rock piles to sleep on, no ports-of-call, and kindergarten entertainment. But I like to think that I'm a realist. Good food is fragile, expensive and difficult to deliver. If I'm paying McD prices, I don't expect more than McD fare.

We thought the appetizers and entrees on the Glory were pretty decent. There was better variety than on some previous trips, and the pastas were especially good. The desserts, however, were somewhat disappointing. Regardless of whether I manage to discover a couple of disappointing items, though, I always manage to come home from my cruises 5+ pounds heavier so I must be enjoying most of it! :)

Archived