Such horrible food

bartleby112

One dessert (chocolate melt thing) was probably the best I have ever had in my life, no kidding.
I was on the Miracle last week....a lady friend at our table was upset that she missed the melting chocolate dessert......the head waiter said there was nothing that he could do about it(this was the next night), but suggested she put in a request with the Matre'd(sp?)......she did.....and on Thursday night he informed us that they were doing a special run of 6 for our table on Friday night............I kid you not, we were stared down over our extra dessert that night.........it was awesome.......the extra chocolate melting thing and the looks of jealousy from the other tables.:D

I wonder why some people even bother to cruise with Carnival if they hate it so much.

We ate in the dining room all seven nights on the Triumph. Generally the food was very good. Having a beef ranch, we are used to the very best in beef and so found the prime rib wasn't the best.

As far as the way the dinner guests were dressed, who knows and who cares? We dressed, had fun, and didn't even notice what anyone else wore!

I agree that everyone should adhere to the dress codes of the dining room and we do. However, if someone chooses to ignore it and wear jeans to dinner, to me I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's there choice how they want to dress and while it might be considered inappropriate in our mind there's nothing we can do about it so I'd just enjoy the company of my table and good food and not pay any attention to the surrounding tables.

One time on a carnival cruise (and we cruise alot), we were taking the sun and decided to go into the formal dining room for lunch. My husband had a pair of shorts on and we were unaware of the dress requirement for lunch. As soon as he walked into the dining room, he was stopped by the matri d' and told he could not wear shorts into the dining room. We were not upset; he went back to the cabin and put a pair of pants on and joined us for lunch. I think it is the responsibility of the cruise line to enforce the dress code.

Have a nice night all.

Happy Cruising.

MaryJo

I am running into the problem which my friends and my cruise for the 21st of Oct. The one friend doesn't think he has his suit any more. So i am thinking if we all can't get dressed up, none of us will. Cause i don't think it would be right if he just had a nice button down shirt and black slacks. Unless some of you would think that to be appropriate for dinner on formal night.

I am running into the problem which my friends and my cruise for the 21st of Oct. The one friend doesn't think he has his suit any more. So i am thinking if we all can't get dressed up, none of us will. Cause i don't think it would be right if he just had a nice button down shirt and black slacks. Unless some of you would think that to be appropriate for dinner on formal night.

check with your specific cruiseline. these days most only 'suggest', not 'require' tuxes and suits.

Gottago

From your post you seem to only find negatives with Carnival, and must consider yourself much better than your fellow traveler.

I am sure that is not true, but that is how your post came across.

I had a friend who expressed herself that way. I stopped talking to her, and told her if she wanted to regain my friendship, just leave a positive message for me on my phone, email, etc. I am hoping that if she keeps doing this, she will begin to have more positive than negative thoughts.

Man, life is so much better when you do!

I'll be on the Glory on Oct.21. Im not wearing a suit to dinner. I am however going to wear a dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. It is almost impossible to find a sport coat or even a suit jacket that will fit properly. If you cant dress up, does that make the food taste bad for the other guests? Honestly, the people that are always complaining that thr food was bad, were looking for something to complain about. If you were at a land based resturant, wouldnt you send the food back if you didnt like it?

So to all those who find it necessary to complain about everything. STOP TRYING TO RUIN OTHERS VACATIONS BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO SNOTTY TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!

This has been a public service announcement, sponsored by the LETS HAVE A GREAT TIME CLUB OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

I agree that everyone should adhere to the dress codes of the dining room and we do. However, if someone chooses to ignore it and wear jeans to dinner, to me I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's there choice how they want to dress and while it might be considered inappropriate in our mind there's nothing we can do about it so I'd just enjoy the company of my table and good food and not pay any attention to the surrounding tables.

One time on a carnival cruise (and we cruise alot), we were taking the sun and decided to go into the formal dining room for lunch. My husband had a pair of shorts on and we were unaware of the dress requirement for lunch. As soon as he walked into the dining room, he was stopped by the matri d' and told he could not wear shorts into the dining room. We were not upset; he went back to the cabin and put a pair of pants on and joined us for lunch. I think it is the responsibility of the cruise line to enforce the dress code.

Have a nice night all.

Happy Cruising.

MaryJo

Shorts are allowed in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. It's been that way for years. How long ago was this???

I'll be on the Glory on Oct.21. Im not wearing a suit to dinner. I am however going to wear a dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. It is almost impossible to find a sport coat or even a suit jacket that will fit properly. If you cant dress up, does that make the food taste bad for the other guests? Honestly, the people that are always complaining that thr food was bad, were looking for something to complain about. If you were at a land based resturant, wouldnt you send the food back if you didnt like it?

So to all those who find it necessary to complain about everything. STOP TRYING TO RUIN OTHERS VACATIONS BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO SNOTTY TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!

This has been a public service announcement, sponsored by the LETS HAVE A GREAT TIME CLUB OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

I will be on the glory with you. I am thinking that since my friend doesn't have his suit, we all might just dress like mormons with black pants, white shirt, and black tie.

Gottago

From your post you seem to only find negatives with Carnival, and must consider yourself much better than your fellow traveler.

I am sure that is not true, but that is how your post came across.

I had a friend who expressed herself that way. I stopped talking to her, and told her if she wanted to regain my friendship, just leave a positive message for me on my phone, email, etc. I am hoping that if she keeps doing this, she will begin to have more positive than negative thoughts.

Man, life is so much better when you do!

Perhaps you have a point, but the OP asked about horrible food and I told him about horrible food. The fesh bread at dinner was good and the water wasn't bad. The danish and croisants in the morning weren't fresh, but were edible. The orange juice was OK, as was the sausage. Bacon/ham -- forgidaboutit. Omlet station was a nice touch at the buffet. My wife's eggs benedict weren't good in the dining room. Breakfast was same everyday. Nothing really was memorable about lunch. The barbeque on HMC was edible and I even managed to snag a real plate to eat off of (a real coup at the table I sat at). The jerk chicken was better on HMC than when I had it on the ship. Would have been better with a good BBQ sauce IMHO. The ice cream/frozen yogurt was alright and about the same as the Golden Corral serves.

Our ship went dead in the water before the last port and we were given $50pp compensation. That brought our cost to under $20pp/day +tax/tip. I certainly don't expect 5star cuisine at that price and I certainly didn't get it. I compared the food to what I remember getting at the Golden Corral when I was there last (several months ago). Given a choice between dining at the Golden Corral or on the Fantasy, I'd definitely choose the Golden Corral. Perhaps Carnival could get them to cater the meals on their ships. It is not my favorite restaurant, but the OP asked for comparisons to restaurants and it's probably the closest. Thousands of people line up everyday to eat at the GC because the price is relatively low and the food is all you care to eat. The same applies to Carnival.

I did enjoy our port visits and our stateroom. They were more than worth our trip cost. So I just might sail on Carnival again, if the price and itinerary are right. Not sure my DW would be thrilled though. My advice on food is to order at least two or three starters/entrees/deserts and hope they serve you one that is edible. If NOT, simply go to the buffet after dinner and get something else. Eventually you should have sampled enough that you are no longer hungry or want any more. BTW: Overheard cashier at ship's store tell a customer that TUMS was their number one selling product. We brought our own and used them daily. A definite must have cruise item.

I understand you're not supposed to dress like a bum at dinner... I don't, and, unlike a lot of you ladies, I even pack a slip, but I digress... WHY do you guys let it bother you so much what other people wear to dinner? You're taking a vacation with thousands of other people you don't know and will never see again... all of you paid good money to go on a fun cruise. Why let something so petty get in your crawl?

The poster was talking about people wearing jean shorts and tshirts, which aren't allowed in the dining room... they shouldn't have been allowed in. It's called etiquette, some get it... some don't. I feel the same way when I go into a restaurant on land that has a dress code... difference being, most land based resorts/restaurants do enforce the dress code. It doesn't bother me, there are people who lack class and etiquette everywhere, not just on a ship. Nothing you can do about it...

As for the food... it's decent food for mass preparation... of course not the best, but I don't expect the best. Sometimes I get a meal that I consider quite good... sometimes eh, not so much... but I don't cruise for the food. There is always something on the ship that can satisfy my appetite... I eat to live, rather than the other way around, so I'm not so picky :D

The poster was talking about people wearing jean shorts and tshirts, which aren't allowed in the dining room... they shouldn't have been allowed in. It's called etiquette, some get it... some don't. I feel the same way when I go into a restaurant on land that has a dress code... difference being, most land based resorts/restaurants do enforce the dress code. It doesn't bother me, there are people who lack class and etiquette everywhere, not just on a ship. Nothing you can do about it...

As for the food... it's decent food for mass preparation... of course not the best, but I don't expect the best. Sometimes I get a meal that I consider quite good... sometimes eh, not so much... but I don't cruise for the food. There is always something on the ship that can satisfy my appetite... I eat to live, rather than the other way around, so I'm not so picky :D

Ok -- I really shouldn't have mentioned dress in a food thread, especially since many seem to be overly sensitive about it. I mentioned jean shorts and t-shirt dress at formal night dinner because it was obviously taboo and should have received attention by wait staff/mgmt. As for the inside buffet, the health department would likely shut down any land based restaurant which allowed no shoes, no shirt, and dripping bathing suits.

Yours is a much more positive and generous perspective of the food. I would agree with all (except I really didn't find the 'quite good' and I tried and tried and etc). My appetite was satisified though and I definitely did NOT starve. Again very similar to the Golden Corral for comparison's sake - no?

The poster was talking about people wearing jean shorts and tshirts, which aren't allowed in the dining room... they shouldn't have been allowed in. It's called etiquette, some get it... some don't. I feel the same way when I go into a restaurant on land that has a dress code... difference being, most land based resorts/restaurants do enforce the dress code. It doesn't bother me, there are people who lack class and etiquette everywhere, not just on a ship. Nothing you can do about it

Thank you GoinCruisin, for actually reading the thread. I didn't get the impression from Gotta-Go that the fact that other diners were wearing jean shorts in the dining room "ruined" his cruise. And, I certainly never said that. GC made an observation, and I responded that I had seen the same. While I don't agree with tank tops, shorts and flip flops in the dining room, it has never once ruined a cruise for me -- and it never will. Judy needs to read the thread, not "read into it." But, I'm sure all were happy to read that she packs a "slip" unlike the other women that cruise. Hmmm? What does that mean?

But, I'm sure all were happy to read that she packs a "slip" unlike the other women that cruise. Hmmm? What does that mean?

What I mean, sweetness, is a lot of ladies went all out to buy sequin dresses to get all gussied up on formal night but failed to notice that their guts, boobs and butts weren't where they were back in their prom days. A slip, and in some cases a strapless bra, would have helped the situation.

Perhaps you have a point, but the OP asked about horrible food and I told him about horrible food. The fesh bread at dinner was good and the water wasn't bad. The danish and croisants in the morning weren't fresh, but were edible. The orange juice was OK, as was the sausage. Bacon/ham -- forgidaboutit. Omlet station was a nice touch at the buffet. My wife's eggs benedict weren't good in the dining room. Breakfast was same everyday. Nothing really was memorable about lunch. The barbeque on HMC was edible and I even managed to snag a real plate to eat off of (a real coup at the table I sat at). The jerk chicken was better on HMC than when I had it on the ship. Would have been better with a good BBQ sauce IMHO. The ice cream/frozen yogurt was alright and about the same as the Golden Corral serves.

I won't quibble your points about Carnival breakfasts. Personally I've not been impressed with their bread, danish, or croissant. What makes me marvel at the wonderfully diverse human experience are your comments concerning lunch and dinner.

The only reason I can think that one might find lunch unmemorable is that there were simply far too many high quality selections for one to remember them all. In other words sensory overload.

I've never tried BBQ sauce with jerk. Its not a combination that appeals, in fact it seems to me that the BBQ sauce would overpower the subtle interplay of jerk seasonings. Guess I'll have to give it a try sometime to see if I'm missing anything. Do you have a suggestion for the type of BBQ sauce?

Perhaps some Carnival ships have kitchens that are simply incompetent and unable to follow even the simplest recipe. This may account for your very poor dinner rating. My personal experience was that dinner was comparable to what one would expect from most restaurants with main dishes priced in the $20 - 25 range. With service being better and temperature slightly worse.

What I mean, sweetness, is a lot of ladies went all out to buy sequin dresses to get all gussied up on formal night but failed to notice that their guts, boobs and butts weren't where they were back in their prom days. A slip, and in some cases a strapless bra, would have helped the situation.

Oh, you mean GIRDLE!!! :p A slip will do nothing for holding back guts boobs and butts :p LOL

Personally, I don't care what people look like in their clothes... if they are happy with what they look like, and they put forth the effort, more power to them... I'm secure enough in myself not to be nitpicking how everyone ELSE looks in order to make myself feel better :D

I've never tried BBQ sauce with jerk. Its not a combination that appeals, in fact it seems to me that the BBQ sauce would overpower the subtle interplay of jerk seasonings. Guess I'll have to give it a try sometime to see if I'm missing anything. Do you have a suggestion for the type of BBQ sauce?

PLEASE don't ruin jerk chicken by putting BBQ sauce on it! LOL!!!!!!

Oh, you mean GIRDLE!!! :p A slip will do nothing for holding back guts boobs and butts :p LOL

Personally, I don't care what people look like in their clothes... if they are happy with what they look like, and they put forth the effort, more power to them... I'm secure enough in myself not to be nitpicking how everyone ELSE looks in order to make myself feel better :D

I was trying to be gentle. I don't care either... if I want to go through the trouble of dressing up and the people I actually KNOW on the ship do the same, that's our business. I don't make it my business to worry about what other people are wearing. I also wasn't accusing anyone of letting it spoil their cruise, etc., I was merely making a general statement that people need to find other things to worry about. Like, for instance, deck chair savers... or booze smugglers... those things.

Maybe some of the pre-food propaganda had worked on me because I was stunned by how good the dining room food was over the last couple of weeks on the Valor. A couple of the fish dishes were flat-out the best I've ever had. I didn't eat many steaks - and maybe that's where some of the complaints lie ?).

I don't waste ingesting too many calories at breakfast, so it didn't matter that much to me. I enjoyed lunches, especially a couple of the ethnic food themes (Indian was great). I loved the grilled reubin - and even the grilled hot dogs (with grilled onions & mushrooms) - but it was the dinners that made it a great part of my cruise experience.

To each their own....:cool:

Maybe some of the pre-food propaganda had worked on me because I was stunned by how good the dining room food was over the last couple of weeks on the Valor. A couple of the fish dishes were flat-out the best I've ever had. I didn't eat many steaks - and maybe that's where some of the complaints lie ?).

I don't waste ingesting too many calories at breakfast, so it didn't matter that much to me. I enjoyed lunches, especially a couple of the ethnic food themes (Indian was great). I loved the grilled reubin - and even the grilled hot dogs (with grilled onions & mushrooms) - but it was the dinners that made it a great part of my cruise experience.

To each their own....:cool:

I can imagine steak being hard to pull off in that situation, with hundreds of diners decending on a dining room at once. Many passengers wouldn't tolerate having to wait as long as they'd have to in order for each dish to be cooked to order, so they must have to prepare a ton of stuff in advance, yet make every effort not to overcook them, yet still keep them warm... Nightmare.

I have to agree on the fish. You may well be right about the steaks. No one at our table on my most recent cruise was able to get a truly rare steak. Probably because of the time and distance between kitchen and table. Meat quality was, however, very high. In fact, while I found flavors well above average, what impressed me most about Carnival was the high ingredient quality and portion sizes that verged on being overly generous.

I have to agree on the fish. You may well be right about the steaks. No one at our table on my most recent cruise was able to get a truly rare steak. Probably because of the time and distance between kitchen and table. Meat quality was, however, very high. In fact, while I found flavors well above average, what impressed me most about Carnival was the high ingredient quality and portion sizes that verged on being overly generous.

My guess is it's a liability issue. They flat-out declined to prepare me a medium burger at the grill. I remember there being signs posted about the health risks related to undercooked eggs, though they willingly prepared runny 'over-easies' (ugh! :p ); I can't recall if there was a similar sign about undercooked beef.

Archived