Everyone tells me on my next cruise make sure we don't go to Cozumel?

Fun~N~Sun

Is this a bad, dirty, ugly, nothing to do place? Everyone tells me if my cruise goes there to just stay on the ship? What are your opinions? I'm not a very picky person......at all. I would just like pretty beach, good music, bar on the beach, and maybe a little T-shirt, flip flop shopping. :D

Don't know why they would tell you that. We've been there twice in the last 2 years and enjoyed our time there. I know Cozumel recieved quite a bit of hurricane damage last year, but they are rebuilding. Alot of the rebuilding has been completed enough, that you should enjoy your time there. If you want a nice beach and a bit of fun shopping, then I think you would enjoy Cozumel.

I have only heard good things about Cozumel and can't wait to go to Passion Island where they film the Corona Comm. People have shown me some realy beautiful pictures. Maybe you should look into booking a excursion to Passion Island. I will be there in Dec. If you have not gone on your cruise by the time I get back I can e-mail you some pictures.

Cali :)

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT 1688"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Fun-in-Sun, continue reading in the Ports of Call - Cozumel, and you will find lots of threads with information on excursions, beaches and things to do in Cozumel. It's a very easy port to "do on your own" vs a ship's tour also. I wouldn't skip a cruise just because it went to Cozumel and I certainly wouldn't stay on the ship once there. Do your research and perhaps that will help you make a decision. No complaints here, it's one of our favorite Western stops.

Good luck and enjoy cruising! :)

Cathy

Is this a bad, dirty, ugly, nothing to do place? Everyone tells me if my cruise goes there to just stay on the ship? What are your opinions? I'm not a very picky person......at all. I would just like pretty beach, good music, bar on the beach, and maybe a little T-shirt, flip flop shopping. :D

I've no idea who "everyone" is, but you need to consider changing friends, I think. Cozumel is everything but a dirty, ugly island.

Here are some pictures you might enjoy. http://www.islacozumel.com.mx/eng/dest-gallery.asp

Here is a list of activities available for your entertainment.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Activities

Count me in as one of the folks who LOVES Cozumel. I've not been since the massive pier damage, but I'm sure that everyone's working hard to put it all back together. I happen to live in an area where hurricanes can cause great damage to tourism, so I know how important it is to the residents of Cozumel to have people return to their area. You'll not find a better welcome in the Caribbean than what you'll receive in Cozumel.

I've been there at least 8 times and it's still one of my favorite ports. Good people, nice beaches, excellent shopping and cold beer! Works great for me!

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. What beach was this?

I was in Cozumel for the first time 3 weeks ago. I would go back tomorrow if I could!!!!!! I loved it there.

We had to tender to shore, but that was no problem at all for us.

There's a shopping area with several stores right at the pier, or you can get a cab to the downtown section which is just a few minutes away. I thought both the pier area and the downtown were very colorful and attractive and CLEAN. Enjoyed shopping and looking, even though we had originally planned to go to a beach for awhile. Will save that for the next time.:D Paradise Beach seems to be a very popular spot, and I've also seen San Francisco Beach mentioned a lot. Look for and read the threads about these and you can decide which one sounds best for you.

I'm sure other CC members who've been there several times will offer you additional great advice!

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. What beach was this?
If you want a nice clean beach with good food, service and lots of sand, try Paradise Beach. It can get a little crowded midday, but we go early and stay late. Chankanaab Park was fun, but that was pre-Wilma. I don't know if all of it is up and running yet. If you want to get away from the crowds, you might try Palancar. It is farther from the ships and gets less crowded.

Whoever said to stay on the ship in Cozumel is either on dope or has never been there. November is our 5th trip and we find something different to do each trip. I have been to some rundown, poor, downright skanky places, but Coz is not one of them.

I sincerely believe your friends have their ports mixed up!

We went to Coz in July and have booked another cruise, specifically one that goes to Coz.

The people were friendly, kind, & honest. PB was clean and plain gorgeous!

We thought about the Eastern route but loved Coz.

Do NOT stay on the ship!!:)

If you stay on the ship you will be missing beautful beaches, great shopping and very friendly people. Don't know whom you have been talking to, but I would disagree.

Maybe you heard about Jamaica instead. That is the port many do not like.

It is really a shame how so many people get the wrong impression of Jamaica.....

we have been twice for land vacations....staying in villas both times. Once with our 2 young kids and DM & DDad. The second we had a family reunion there.... It is a very different place than the one you experience when just visiting for a day/part of a day off of a cruise ship.

If you do go.....try to get away from the port area and the other 3000 people getting off the ship..... you will get a much different view of this beautiful island and the friendly people who live there.

Who in the world would say this? I LOVED Cozumel when I was there for the first time last month. Paradise Beach was awesome. Just take a cab and they will take care of you there.

Maybe they were thinking of Costa Maya? But I also loved Costa Maya, it had one of the most beautiful beaches and cheap and yummy food and drink. Annoying vendors, but we just ignored most of them.

It is really a shame how so many people get the wrong impression of Jamaica.....

If you do go.....try to get away from the port area and the other 3000 people getting off the ship..... you will get a much different view of this beautiful island and the friendly people who live there.

Thats just what I am going to do. I booked a nice long tour and will see the island. I know many people dont like it there but I am willing to give them a chance.

:)My wife and I were there on a cruise in July 2005 and we are going again next January. Cozumel was FUN and CHEAP. We took a taxi to Dzul Ha Beach club and had the area all to ourselves for a couple of hours. We rented snorkling gear and lockers from the club. The snorkeling there is great and we were there long before all the snorkel excursions showed up. We had a couple of beers and some nachos and probably spent a total of $20 at the club (including snorkel gear). This area is a snorkel area not a "lay on the beach" area, so, about noon we got a cab to paradise beach. It's free to go in and they showed us to a couple beach chairs and an umbrella. Since it's free you should order food, which we did. I think we got more drinks and nachos and just enjoyed the clean beach and sun. We paid about $8 each for wristbands to use the beach toys and really enjoyed that. When we got tired of the beach we got a taxi back to the dock area and shopped for a while. We did all that for about $70 for the two of us, including taxi's. By all means get off the boat!

Cozumel is very clean with beautiful beaches, perhaps you should make sure your friend wasn't thinking of another port or perhaps your friend had never been there at all and is so jealous that you are going instread of them, they are trying to ruin you vacation before you even go.

Just kidding:eek:

Don't forget to bring your friend back pictures of the horrible dirty place:D

Cozumel is great. They had to have meant Belize is the port to skip.

Our last Enchantment cruise was Key West, Cozumel and Belize. Belize is a long tender ride in to port, a poor and frightening city, and usually an hour or more one way to get to most excursions. We have this ship booked again but without the Belize port stop - just key West and Cozumel, the fun ports.

Archived