BYO Bottled water??

pfisted

Ahoy,

I'm sorry to say that after an exhaustive search, I can find nothing regarding bringing my own bottled water aboard the ship. As a diabetic, I have to drink a lot and I really don't want to spend $$$$ for a bottle of water. Do you know if they allow passengers to bring their own aboard or if they have a "water special" like they do for the sodas? We've sailed with DCL and know that they do allow bring aboard and also have the water packages. I hear the tap water is good for drinking, but this doesn't help me on excursions. Thanks.

Ahoy,

I'm sorry to say that after an exhaustive search, I can find nothing regarding bringing my own bottled water aboard the ship. As a diabetic, I have to drink a lot and I really don't want to spend $$$$ for a bottle of water. Do you know if they allow passengers to bring their own aboard or if they have a "water special" like they do for the sodas? We've sailed with DCL and know that they do allow bring aboard and also have the water packages. I hear the tap water is good for drinking, but this doesn't help me on excursions. Thanks.

I drink a lot of water as well and always bring a few bottles along when I board and then buy it in each port.

No, there are no specials on water. I wish there were as I drink 4-5 bottles a day!

Usually the water offered in the taps along with tea and juices is filtered water. We drank it on our last cruise. I guess you could call X and see if they know for sure. Lots of people would just fill their bottles with it.

Shay

I've never heard of any prohibition against bringing water, or any other non-alcoholic beverage, on board. I've read posts over the years about people who wheel on a case of soft drinks.

We also drink a lot of water.

I've also read different things about water quality on board. For a long time I read that the water on board was very clean and filtered through an on board system. Before we read this we always bought water on board. Then one cruise we drank the tap water which seems fine. Your steward will also fill a small insulated pitcher in your room, as well as fill your ice bucket, each time they service your room. Then around a year ago there were some threads about cloudy & discolored water on one or more ships, so last cruise we returned to bottled water.

They charge around $3 + change for a large bottle of Evian (I think this is 2 liter or something close to that). Buying the large bottle of Evian, or Perrier if that is your choosing, is substantially less money that the small bottles which cost almost as much. We usually instructed our room steward to always leave enough each morning so that there were two full bottles - increasing this amount if we drank faster than the steward refilled. So it was always there. You can also get bottles at most bars, room service or request of your steward.

I can't believe that they will let just any water on the ship. And for free? No unscrewing charge? How lax can they be! If everyone just carried nay kind of water on board someone could be walking around with a bottle of clear soda or vodka. MORE LOST REVENUE! This should be stopped at once. We stockholders should not discriminate against boozers and let water drinkers walk freely around the ship drinking any kind of water indiscriminately to put passengers at risk of possible ill efects as well as tripping over unauthorized plastic bottles and cause the ship to be sued. They could even take it into a bar or restaurant. Please send a letter to Dan Hannrahan asking that this be stopped. All this free water could undermine the ships plumbing!:eek:

I can't believe that they will let just any water on the ship. And for free? No unscrewing charge? How lax can they be! If everyone just carried nay kind of water on board someone could be walking around with a bottle of clear soda or vodka. MORE LOST REVENUE! This should be stopped at once. We stockholders should not discriminate against boozers and let water drinkers walk freely around the ship drinking any kind of water indiscriminately to put passengers at risk of possible ill efects as well as tripping over unauthorized plastic bottles and cause the ship to be sued. They could even take it into a bar or restaurant. Please send a letter to Dan Hannrahan asking that this be stopped. All this free water could undermine the ships plumbing!:eek:

Too Funny !!!!

I can't believe that they will let just any water on the ship. And for free? No unscrewing charge? How lax can they be! If everyone just carried any kind of water on board someone could be walking around with a bottle of clear soda or vodka. MORE LOST REVENUE!

:D :D :D :D :D

Too much jocularity, so early in the morning!!

We always bring a small case of bottled water on board in one of our carry ons, specifically to take along on excursions. It's easy for us as we live in South Florida and we don't have to fly to the port. Of course, when we to fly to our next cruise, we won't bother! The beauty of this is that our carry on is then empty for all the souvenirs, etc. that we pick up in every port!! :D

While we have enjoyed the water provided on board in the cabin and in all the dining/public areas, and know it to be potable, others have mentioned to us that they've noticed it to be salty and that their extremities have swollen!!! :eek:

While we have enjoyed the water provided on board in the cabin and in all the dining/public areas, and know it to be potable, others have mentioned to us that they've noticed it to be salty and that their extremities have swollen!!! :eek:

Oh my !!!

I think I will have to drink bottled water also.

It is desalinated sea water. The process is also used to make Amstel Beer on Aruba or Curacao. But don't forget what W.C.Fields said about water. Fish f--- in it. I guess it's like decafinated coffee- there's a little cafeine left by the process

There was a post on the Europe board a few months back where a woman wanted to know how she could take a few cases of "Poland Spring Water" from the states to Europe for her Med cruise. She said she can only drink Poland Spring Water, because all other water has too much sodium. Of course we all thought this woman was kidding, but it turned out that she was very serious. Does anyone think the water thing has gone too far when folks pay more for water than gasoline, and the bottled water is not even tested to the same standards as most drinking water?

Hank

The additional sodium in the tap water isn't an issue for most people, but it can make my ankles and hands swell, making shoes uncomfortable, and my ring not fit on my finger....after six straight sea days, I was having problems, switched to bottled water, and the problem went away almost immediately. I think it's not just the water, but that, with the food on ships, you're ingesting a higher level of sodium as well.

Would be lovely if this wasn't a issue, as I would happily save the money. For what it's worth, the tap water tastes fine. For my purposes, as long as I get some "land water" every few days, this doesn't seem to happen.

Andrew

Another person here with swollen ankles by day 3 of every cruise I have ever been on! The worst was when in the Med. between the heat, the food and I'm quite sure the water! I now pack an old hockey bag with bottled water that I know doesn't make me swell (Dasani has sodium, so I avoid that one!). I threaten eveyone in the family if they touch my water! LOL! Oh, and Evian is loaded with salt, so don't be fooled!

Oh, the good thing is the extra bag coming home for purchases and dirty laundry!

We used to always bring a couple bottles of our reverse osomois (filtered ) water. We then refilled with tap water and put in fridge for excursions. Never had any swollen hands, or feet.

Won't be able to now with all the air restrictions, but just might bring a couple empties. ;)

The tummy was a different story ! ;);)

Most cruise lines only seem to offer the big 2 ltr. bottles at $3 plus the logo essential water bag. I then end up carrying it for my companion along with the towels, snorkle gear, on shore purchase, camera, etc. I like to reduce the wheight by letting her carry the pint bottles we bring from home at about a quarter each.

Archived