Yet Another Jeans Question

DebBrown

I know how everyone feels about jeans on formal night but what if they were really nice jeans and was worn with a nice shirt, jacket and a tie? Is that still considered unkosher? Oh yes, a nice pair of boots would set off the outfit. To some out west, this is considered formal.

This could get interesting! :D

IMHO jeans are never appropriate for dinner in the dining room and definitely not on formal night. That doesn't mean you won't see them especially on the first and last night of the cruise. Things are a little more lenient then because of luggage issues.

I understand that regional differences define formal in different ways. However, none of us are at home anymore and (here we go again) the suggested dress codes do not include jeans (neither are they specifically excluded). I know, I know, most people are going to do what they want anyway, either by choice or interpretation.

Oh well, you gave us another topic to liven up the board! :D

Herein lies the problem, when you are with someone that truly believes that is formal wear, how do you tell them it isn't? Like Brenda said, that is formal in Texas and other western states as well. That being said, how do you tell them without hurting their feelings that it is NOT acceptable on formal night. Also, I feel that on any other night it would not be unacceptable.

Is it really that terrible to get dressed up? I realize that kids whine about it, but they, and some adults, also need to realize that there are some times when you have to follow the herd. Would you show up for a job interview in your "really nice jeans"? I personally think most women look very nice when dressed up and I love to see my wife looking good. Just deal with it, look nice for two night of your life!

Thank you Hdawson - my thoughts exactly. What is the big deal here folks!? Has this topic not been beaten to death enought already!?!

You could wear 40 karats of diamonds around your neck and then use one of those bedazzlers to attach 10 more karats to your $500 dollar jeans - they are not acceptable in the dining room. Please... these are two nights that are OPTIONAL in the first place - you do not have to attend formal nights. If you would like to wear jeans, butt-less chaps, kilts, etc., you can do so anywhere else on the ship. Order room service, go to the deli, eat some ice cream, etc, etc.

Ahhh I feel much better now...

Sorry Deb, I really thought you were doing this in fun. Sooooo, seriously, present them with the suggested dress codes or better yet, let them read this thread. You may or may not be able to change their mind.

You know how we hardcore dress code people are. No jeans, no shorts, no boots, no tank tops, alternative restaurants for people who insist on wearing jeans. Some will say it's rude and unacceptable to wear jeans of any color, style or price especially on formal night. Keep in mind that what we do at home may not necessarily apply when cruising and that this is a different experience altogether. Besides, if you're cruising the Caribbean, jeans are just too hot! In the end, each of us will make a choice to do what we think is best and right. :)

Herein lies the problem, when you are with someone that truly believes that is formal wear, how do you tell them it isn't? Like Brenda said, that is formal in Texas and other western states as well. That being said, how do you tell them without hurting their feelings that it is NOT acceptable on formal night. Also, I feel that on any other night it would not be unacceptable.
Hurting one's feelings is overrated. Tell it like it is.

Tef - Please make sure you've got undies on :p :D

Debbie - I'm not sure how I'd get that point across. I guess that would depend on the sensitivity of the person you're telling? Worse comes to worse you can just put your foot down LOL.

Dtchem1 - That's what I'm saying. It's not hard to get dressed up and I for one do not understand "what" the bid deal is??

That's *not* how a kilt is supposed to be worn.

LOL.....*strolling on deck wearing a kilt and going commando, when suddenly you encounter a strong ocean breeze* :eek:

LOL.....*strolling on deck wearing a kilt and going commando, when suddenly you encounter a strong ocean breeze* :eek:
Silly non-Scottish boy, that's what the sporran is for.

I guess I don't read the board as much as I used to, so I haven't seen a lot of these discussions. I'll take the contrary view. As long as you're not wearing shorts, who cares what you're wearing? Sorry, but it's no one else's business what I or any other person is wearing in the dining room. And for the record, no I haven't worn jeans. I have seen some pretty nifty Western outfits that I thought looked better than some of the formal wear--complete with expensive boots & gorgeous turquoise bolo-ties (yes, I'm proud to be from the West originally). I've also seen African-American women in the lovely flowing native dresses--should those be banned too? I've seen guys in loud Hawaiian shirts & virtually everything else. You're on Carnival to have fun, including wearing jeans if you want. And people eat in the formal dining room because they can get lobster there--they can't in the casual dining room. If you're that much of a snob that you need to "look down" on people in jeans--cruise Celebrity. One of the nice things about Carnival is that people don't care what other people are wearing.

Deb - although I would prefer not to see jeans in the dining room (like anyone cares!) they are not specifically mentioned, as far as I know, by Carnival.

Here is a link to their dining room dress code policy --- jeans are neither approved or prohibited...hmmmm

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

I have not read all the previous threads on this topic, so perhaps someone else has SPECIFIC (aka: from the horses mouth >>>CARNIVAL) information of the jeans policy...

Tom

Silly non-Scottish boy, that's what the sporran is for.
Ok...had to google that one. Kind of like a furry jock huh?

Kitty - We're talking about formal night here. CCL "suggests" suit or tux for formal night. I read that as do many others as "required". No, I could care less if Clark Griswold show's up in a fancy "western" get up, but like you, I have my own opinion as does everyone else on this board.

Good point LIV... amazing how one (I!) can miss ONE word in the OP's question... F O R M A L... then again in their FAQ's there is an option for formal night which includes SLACKS...

Noun1.slacks - (usually in the plural) pants for casual wear

... which technically conflicts with FORMAL (yet most of us know what the INTENT is)... oh well.... I can see why threads of this nature drag on...

On some of our cruises we have intentionally NOT packed formal wear - and opted for Lido Deck fare instead...

If I dressed formally, I would not be offended if someone came into the dining room in jeans - I would feel embarassed for them! .... and I would proceed to eat my Beef Wellington or Prime Rib....

Tom

Archived