Yet Another Jeans Question

DebBrown

[quote name='GreggV']Here is what I think short and sweet. Jeans no matter where you are from are not considered formal. I agree they can be considered dressy casual if done right but not in any way are they formal. If you prefer to wear jeans on formal night then do not eat in the dining room. ITs a no sweat decision[/QUOTE]
Totally agree with the above. Think Oscars, think weddings, think Governor's Ball-type events. I don't think you'd ever see jeans at one of those events (well, maybe at a wedding but shame on that person if they DID wear jeans to a wedding!!!). I just talked with a dear friend who said they'd probably never gon on a cruise after she found out from me you couldn't wear shorts to dinner. She lives in Phoenix, and, according to her, everyone wears shorts there to fine dining establishments. Another regional excuse for not dressing as suggested or recommended.

Okay, is it just me or do you think it's slightly insane to pack a bunch of jeans when you are going to the caribbean? I have had to pack winter clothes before for other cold climate vacations and jeans are the worst! They are very bulky and take up a lot of room in your suitcase. Not to mention the extra weight it adds. I think one of the perks of going to the caribbean is packing a light suitcase without all of the heavy jackets and blue jeans!

Here's my two cents...I am Texas born and Texas bred! But in my part of Texas... jeans are most definitely NOT considered formal wear. My hubby wouldnt wear jeans on formal night. Now on the other hand, my 14 year old son would like too but not going too.
10 days til the Elation

Reading threads here and on Cruise Addicts about jeans, formal attire and dress codes I think these points summarize the consensus of experienced cruisers:

1) Serious jeans wearers find they are a bit out of place since fewer people wear jeans on the ship. Light colored shorts and slacks are more appropriate in the hot weather. One guy (whose devotion to jeans sounded like marketing copy for Levis Inc.) admitted he only wore his jeans on embarkation, looked around and switched to Dockers.

2) The dining room/dinner time dress code (no shorts, bathing suits, T-shirts etc) is a good one and adds considerably to the enjoyment of a fine sit down meal. Several people mentioned that going to your cabin to wash up and change for dinner really helped them recharge after a day of sweaty fun.

3) Formal night is meant to be a special party occasion and dressing up is part of the festivities. If that is not your style, you have the option of casual dining on the Lido deck restaurant. That option applies to any evening you are hungry and just want to eat without changing.

4) Formal night attire is still flexible. For men, tuxes, suits or just a dress jacket are all seen there. For women it doesn't have to be a ball gown. Tasteful dresses, skirts or even some pantsuits are appropriate.

Now, IMHO formal night is a great opportunity to really dress up and strut your stuff. Also I like the idea of switching to "sophisticated casual" for other evenings. I realize that everyone has his/her own preferences and I believe the cruise lines give us the activity and dining options to accomodate most tastes.

Archived