Yet Another Jeans Question

DebBrown

Why would a suit offend anyone? It's one of the options listed and I've never read of anyone putting down the wearing of a suit or suggesting that everyone shoud wear a tux.

If "nice" jeans become the accepted standard, when will it become faded jeans, the torn jeans and cutoffs? It becomes a downward spiral that reduces standards or the "dumbing down of cruising".

[quote name='hdawson']Why would a suit offend anyone? It's one of the options listed and I've never read of anyone putting down the wearing of a suit or suggesting that everyone shoud wear a tux.

If "nice" jeans become the accepted standard, when will it become faded jeans, the torn jeans and cutoffs? It becomes a downward spiral that reduces standards or the "dumbing down of cruising".[/QUOTE][i][size=3][color=darkorchid][b]I don't think a suit would offend anyone and no I've never heard of putting down wearing a suit or suggesting a tux. They do rent them though so there is a subtle suggestion to do so.[/b][/color][/size][/i]
[b][/b]
[b][i][size=3][color=#9932cc]I don't know where the cut off is for jeans but it's a belabored subject. Some people are offended by them although I don't believe many. I don't plan to sit in jugdment.[/color][/size][/i][/b]
[b][/b]
[b][i][size=3][color=#9932cc]I wear a suit for formal nights and I'm ok with it. But I wear a suit everyday I fly. I wonder what a yellow and green pin stripped suit would look like? :p [/color][/size][/i][/b]
[b][/b]
[b][i][size=3][color=#9932cc]imsulin, I think you're right too! But I can't believe I've entered into this topic. Jeez I must be desperate for conversation. Time for multiple jello shots.;) [/color][/size][/i][/b]
[b][i][size=3][color=#9932cc][/color][/size][/i][/b]
[b][i][size=3][color=#9932cc]I'm thru with this subject. It's nuts!:rolleyes: [/color][/size][/i][/b]

[quote name='Auburn Tigers']Buttless Chaps I can Liv with, Frontless Chaps............

[/QUOTE]The don't come any other way.....buttless and frontless sorry. I could put my little elephant undies on though?

[QUOTE]I wonder who originally came up with the dress code that makes up formal wear and what period of time that was.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter what time frame it was.

Ok, I'm very soon to be 39, (no not that old) but I do remember as a child traveling (specifically on planes) and nothing less than a suit was acceptable. Taking a trip on a plane was something OUT of the NORM and therefore it was SPECIAL and THEREFORE we, the family should act differently than we did in everyday life.....Dad and the us boys in a SUIT and my Mom in a DRESS. A cruise is NO different. It's not an everyday event for any of us.

I don't care how anyone else looks at this or thinks the "analogy" is way off, but this is how I think. Cruising, for me is a "special event" and I will gladly take the time and make the effort to present myself in the best way possible. Yes, I can have a Saturday afternoon BBQ, sit around and with the "boys" afterwards, swap stories, come up with new uses for the "F" word and see who belches or farts the loudest, but I can also put on a suit or a tux and rub elbows with the hoities and no one would be the wiser.....and I've actually done BOTH.

Formal means formal. No more no less.

Excellent Liv, well said....

I LOVE the chance to dress up on the cruise. I wear something formal almost every night... I don't get the chance to break out the "good stuff" as often as I would like, so I jump on every chance I get... I don't do it for OTHER passengers or the "rules", I do it because it makes me feel fabulous! Now, after dinner, I will stop by the Piano Bar for a cocktail (s) and then make a mad dash to the cabin to change into something a little more comfy... When everyone dresses nicely, it really does create such a nice ambiance...

The "time frame" for dressing up originated long before any of us were born. Go back to the days of the Cunard and White Star and Leyland (and other lines) ocean-crossing steam ships, and the "class" system that was present! Those voyages were generally made for transporting third-class immigrants, but for first and second-class passengers, these voyages were often made for pleasure travel, honeymoons, etc. I mean...who hasn't seen the 1997 "Titanic"? To this day, Cunard still has (on its Queen ships) different prices for different "classes" of travel, and it can be a pain in the royal arse to get someone from a different "class" to dine with you! This is all a trickle-down from the "Gilded Age" of ocean travel. Cruising slowly became more of a "pleasure" thing than a "transportation" thing. Some of the formalities of early cruising are still with us, and FORMAL NIGHTS are one of those things! Livtojump...EXCELLENT post!

I haven't made it aboard my first cruise yet, but these topics always seem so interesting. I figured I'd join in.

I fully intend to wear a nice suit on formal night, as well as dockers and polos on the non-formal nights of my cruise. I will not be bringing jeans.

But I will also not be offended by what anyone else is wearing. If someone else at my table, or in the dining room is wearing cutoff shorts, a dirty t-shirt and no shoes, my only opinion is 'whatever'. Their particular taste (or lack thereof) in dress is none of my concern, and I can not begin to see how it has any bearing on my ability to enjoy myself.

I like to think that I look good in a suit. I do not get to wear one very often, and I enjoy the opportunity to do so when it comes along. I will enjoy my dinner, and enjoy the feeling that "lookin' good" gives me regardless of what else is going on around me.

I am really having difficulty trying to understand how someone else's mode of dress is insulting to anyone else. To ask the Maitre'D to deny entrance to a fellow passenger because they were dressed in jeans absolutely blows my mind.

Can someone please explain why they are concerned with what someone else is wearing? I honestly am looking for a reason behind these strong opinions. Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Excellent Liv, well said....

I LOVE the chance to dress up on the cruise. I wear something formal almost every night... I don't get the chance to break out the "good stuff" as often as I would like, so I jump on every chance I get... I don't do it for OTHER passengers or the "rules", I do it because it makes me feel fabulous! Now, after dinner, I will stop by the Piano Bar for a cocktail (s) and then make a mad dash to the cabin to change into something a little more comfy... When everyone dresses nicely, it really does create such a nice ambiance...[/QUOTE]

I agree for the mostpart..
But I don't mind followng the rules...........when I know what they are....and would want to accomodate the other passengers, as well..
It's really difficult sometimes after spending the day (and half the friggin' night!) in port to get back in time to pull off my 'ideal' beauty regimen, but I do my best!
Like you, GC...
I like to feel fabulous!
(but have other moods, as well...)

LOL

OH....
I don't like to change out of my dress after cocktails,
I like to wear it late into the night, since it's a special ocassion dress, anyway!

By allowing folks to dine that are not following the dress code, you are telling everyone in that dining room that it's OK to wear shorts, jeans, and thongs to the nice dinner. By not allowing folks to come in who are underdressed, you are actually teaching the cruiser some manners and showing everyone else that their efforts mean something.

I work in Food and Beverage and you bet we send people away who are dressed inappropriately every day. We are thanked by those folks who are there because that's the statement they want to make. Those who don't dress should be on the Lido Deck and not embarrass themselves by attempting to go to the Main Dining Room(s).

If they allow folks not to follow dress code rules, then I guess there are other rules that some might feel can be broken as well- how about lighting up a big old cigar at the table on formal night cuz they let Johnny in in his jeans and thongs?? All the rules start to go out the window when others see that they don't have to be followed.

Pholter. What a great idea to make a point by those that appreciate the atmosphere of the formal dining room We should all carry a cheap cigar, ladies too, and when someone sits down close by, dressed-down, just pull the cigar out as a threat to light up. The Maitr d comes running with all the head waiters and then we just all point. I think the result would be hilarious. Of course we wouldn't light up since that's a no-no.

Excelent post PHolter Those are my feelings as well. Its not that hard to put on a nice suit and tie. I am a construcion worker and also a mechanic as such i dont not wear a suit daily in fact its very rare that i do but I enjoy it when the occasion arises when I can. some people may not enjoy getting dressed up but they are rules and some ruled people dont like but you should follow them anyway. as mentioned many times before if you dont want to dress up got to the buffet.

Below are the requirements for formal nights. I'm sure everybody gets a copy of the rules and regs. If Carnival pushes against their requirements this issue would go away. It's pretty plain.:cool:

[color=blue][b]Carnival Dress Code from web page[/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff][/color][/b]
Is there a dress code for the dining room?[img]http://www.carnival.com/Images/spacer.gif[/img]Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Not trying to make any point other than on my cruise on the Legend the end of May formal nights there were alot of men in just nice shirts and slacks,no tie or jacket and informal nights there were lots of men of all ages wearing jeans. Just the facts as I saw them.

Laura

[quote name='hdawson']Pholter. What a great idea to make a point by those that appreciate the atmosphere of the formal dining room We should all carry a cheap cigar, ladies too, and when someone sits down close by, dressed-down, just pull the cigar out as a threat to light up. The Maitr d comes running with all the head waiters and then we just all point. I think the result would be hilarious. Of course we wouldn't light up since that's a no-no.[/QUOTE]
Great idea!! You know...this is could be a thread all by itself - I can see the fur flying now!!

[quote name='DebBrown']I know how everyone feels about jeans on formal night but what if they were really nice jeans and was worn with a nice shirt, jacket and a tie? Is that still considered unkosher? Oh yes, a nice pair of boots would set off the outfit. To some out west, this is considered formal.[/QUOTE]

Its a good thing that you don't live in a nudist colony.

Re: the question about how do you tell someone who thinks jeans can be dressed up that they are not appropriate for formal night, show them the Carnival web site that says that Formal Wear means "tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks".

[url]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx[/url]

What continues to astound me is the militant resistance to following the "suggested" dress for Formal Nights. It's not as if it were a surprise that the cruise line has them. Deal with it, or cruise on some other line, like perhaps NCL or Windjammer.

Liv, we're missing an opportunity here. There's good money to be made by offering an "all-denim" cruise. :p

[quote name='tef43']What continues to astound me is the militant resistance to following the "suggested" dress for Formal Nights. It's not as if it were a surprise that the cruise line has them. Deal with it, or cruise on some other line, like perhaps NCL or Windjammer.

Liv, we're missing an opportunity here. There's good money to be made by offering an "all-denim" cruise. :p[/QUOTE]
Tef I don't understand it either. The only thing I can think of is the "it's my vacation so I'll do whatever I want" mentality. :rolleyes:

All-Denim cruising....Hmmmm. Why not! Have you considered the type of "ship". A 20 foot aluminum flat bottom perhaps?

Archived