Yet Another Jeans Question

DebBrown

Kind of like a furry jock huh?
Not exactly.

sporran (spor-ran) n. - A large purse or pouch made of skin with the hair or fur on, worn in front of the kilt by Highlanders when in full dress.

But an ancillary purpose is to hold the kilt down, as in your "strong wind on deck" scenario. It would have to be a pretty strong wind regardless, kilts are not made from lightweight material.

Ok...had to google that one. Kind of like a furry jock huh?

Ohhhh, so that's what it is! And here I thought it was that little "purse" you guys wear. Gee, I love a man in a kilt on formal night, especially if the wind is blowing. :D

Quote: I personally think most women look very nice when dressed up and I love to see my wife looking good. Just deal with it, look nice for two night of your life!

My husband likes me dressing up soooo much that he's telling me that he's not going to let me leave the cabin when I'm finished getting ready! All that time getting the hair done, etc... When do we leave??!! LOL

In my experience, even on Carnival 90%+ of the guests do meet the minimum dress standard requested. Other lines it's more like 95%+ with maybe the exception of NCL which might be a good alternative choice for some.

Almost any invitation to a formal event uses the words "requested" or "suggested" assuming the invitee is intellegent enough to understand the intent.

I know how everyone feels about jeans on formal night but what if they were really nice jeans and was worn with a nice shirt, jacket and a tie? Is that still considered unkosher? Oh yes, a nice pair of boots would set off the outfit. To some out west, this is considered formal.

Sounds great to me if they at least fit....ah....snuggly and your wearing a chrome timing chain belt.:p

Not exactly.

sporran (spor-ran) n. - A large purse or pouch made of skin with the hair or fur on, worn in front of the kilt by Highlanders when in full dress.

But an ancillary purpose is to hold the kilt down, as in your "strong wind on deck" scenario. It would have to be a pretty strong wind regardless, kilts are not made from lightweight material.

Got it....thanks for the education ;)

Sorry Deb but you'll never convince me that jeans on formal night is ok, no matter how well you dress them up. I know people who live and work in jeans but still understand the concept of a suit and tie.

One of the wonderful benefits of travel is expanding one's horizons. Learning to dress out of the hometown norm may be part of that.

Help this person turn it into an adventure. Take him shopping and help him pick out a nice suit, some shirts and ties. It doesn't have to be expensive! Often a man's reluctance to dress up is a lack of confidence in making the correct choices.

Here is what I think short and sweet. Jeans no matter where you are from are not consisdered formal. I agree they can be considered dressy casual if done right but not in any way are they formal. If you prefer to where jeans on formal night then do not eat in the dining room. ITs a no sweat decsion.

Come on you are on a cruise enjoy yourself. Treat yourslef to those formal nights by really dressing up or just avoid them all together.

I like jeans, but come to think of it - I have never even taken jeans on a ship with me. To me they look out of place in the Caribbean. Now if you are cruising to Alaska or other cooler areas, then it makes sense. But, to each his (or her) own...!

my lower wear packing list:

> swimsuit

> shorts

> dockers

> "formal" pants :D

Tom

I guess my response to this (again) is that a cruise ship is not Texas and I still can't believe that there are grown men out there that don't own at least one suit..... :rolleyes:

MY favorite thing at dinner on the Miracle a few weeks ago was seeing a young couple with their toddler coming to dinner every night and this little boy (about 2 or 3 years old) was in a tux both formal nights.
His Mamma is teachin' him right!!!
I'd also like to mention that this gorgeous child didn't make a peep...not one, during the whole week in the dining room...he smiled a lot and ate a lot!!

Good parenting!!!

I am really looking forward to formal night. With two small kids at home, DH and I rarely get to go out let alone get all dressed up and go out. I think it is going to be great and I say get into the spirit and if you don't want to dress up, don't eat in the dining room.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]I bring several pair of jeans on the cruise.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]A. I'm always cold and it's even worse for me on a cruise ship.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]B. Jeans are what I wear at home when I'm going "clubbing" so at night after dinner off comes my dressy outfit and out come the jeans. I'm just more comfortable in them so when dinner is over, so are the formal or dress clothes.[/color][/font][/b]

Our table actually requested to the Maitre'D that someone NOT be allowed in who was at the door in jeans. The Maitre'D did not let them come in on formal night in jeans- thank you thank you thank you! It's amazing to me that someone would insult the other guests on the ship by even trying to eat in the dining without the proper attire. We take our time and get ready for the event, why can't you show me the same courtesy and respect. Not pointing fingers by the word "you".....

Well, Deb, I am also from a "Western" state, and while we wore jeans much of the time (like any other state), anyone who showed up in jeans at one of the fancy restaurants, the Center For The Performing Arts, or on any other occasion where formal attire was "understood" were pretty much laughed at and talked about behind their backs. "They must be from Texas" was a common comment. No offense (I used to live in Texas, and still have my Larry Mahans). I, too, have quite a nice collection of Navajo and Zuni turquoise and silver jewellry, which looks great with my formal black cocktail dresses on FORMAL NIGHT.
....Long-time FORMAL dresser!

Aside to Liv...Hey! If you show up in your buttless chaps, I promise to wear the tangerine-colored leather uni-dress with the sides cut out. The whole thing is about 2-feet long from cleavage to upper thigh. I bought it at a garage sale because it was so....um....."unique"!

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Good point LIV...

[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I know that my Lady likes to get all dolled up to go out and have a nice meal, so I have no problem coming home and changing into a fresh suit to do that. Yes, I do the suit and tie thing every day and I think some people are just self concious by not doing it, or not doing it enough. Besides, if she want's to "dress" for me to look good (which she does undressed too :D), why should I not want reciprocate?

Buttless Chaps I can Liv with, Frontless Chaps............

Deb: If you can't get him to wear anything but jeans buy him a nice new pair of black jeans. Yes they are jeans and yes I will get toasted for my comment, but black jeans look much nicer than a nice blue pair. Also don't forget, the lido deck is always open for the more casual diners. But dress slacks even Khakis with a nice blazer would be prefered. And remember it is only for an hour or two then he can go change, back into his jeans of choice.

Nice Swimmers (swim Diapers) GoinCruisin - I really like that neon green and blue look on you.

First off, I don't wear jeans for a formal occasion. Not because I don't like them but just haven't. Having said that I could care less if someone came in dressed in a nice pair of jeans with a sport coat, tie, nice boots and dress shirt.

I wonder who originally came up with the dress code that makes up formal wear and what period of time that was. Whenever I'm sure my parents wouldn't have made the cut although they could have dressed in the best suit they had and if jeans was the best I would have been proud to have been seen with them.:)

I do think that the minimum to wear would be a sport coat, tie, dress shirt, SOCKS, dress shoes, (jeez lets not get into what a dress shoe is, just not sandals or tennis or thongs, etc.) for men and a nice pants suit or dress for women. It's not too much to ask for 1 or 2 nights on a cruise. What's the fuss?:confused:

Would I be offended if someone came in in shorts or 'beach casual'? No unless they sat on me! I don't own a tux and don't feel obligated to rent one. I wear a suit and if it offends the tux and evening gown folks, there's vacancies on a ship called Residensea. Minimum cost to purchase a cabin I think is around $2 mil. Been on it as a guest and they had the same mix of tux's and suits. Same policy, no shorts, haulters, etc.:cool:

I met to just give 2 cents worth but this looks like at least 20cents worth.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.:eek:

Archived