Prepaid Gratuities

TN63007

If I pre-pay tips and the ship uses US currency what do I do if I decide one day to have room service? Do I tip extra or do the pre-paid tips cover the room service. If I am to tip extra can I tip in AUS or NZ currency as I am doing a NZ cruise? Being Aussie and us being a non-tipping country I dont want to do the wrong thing.

It's customary to tip room service extra since the crew members aren't always members of the "tip pool". $1 to $5 depending on the size of the order. As far as currency is concerned it depends on the cruise line, I think. Usually it's the currency you used to pay for your cruise. We're coming your way in Feb/March on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas and the currency on the ship is American. But I think Princess charges in $AUD.

On a side note, I just ordered some $AUD and $NZD from our bank - you have really cool money. The teller at the bank even remarked on it since she had never seen any. Must be not many people from El Paso go to Australia.

I'm hoping some of you realize you're giving specific advice to people (Lesdaigle, 2coolcanucks) who cruised 4 years ago?

Some cruise lines (like RCI) you can pre-pay, others (like Princess) add it to your daily cabin account. Just check with your individual line to see how they handle it.

We prefer pre-paying if we can. One more expense out of the way prior to leaving. We know we will always tip, if we get bad service (hasn't happenend yet) we'll just report it to the supervisor. Extra tips at the end are given according to services, almost always we give a little more. We have never given a tip to a cabin steward at the beginning of the trip.

We take along a stack of about $25 one dollar bills for room service tipping. We take along extra small bills for tipping excursion providers, usually five dollar bills since there are two of us.

Edited by Happy ks

Thank you Sparky, Yes our notes are easily to identify. I did find I had to be very careful when in the USA as by memory the notes were the same colour no matter the denomination, or maybe I am confused with another country!!

You're not confused - ours are all just plain shades of green. Boring. And the same size too. One country that we've been too that had an interesting feature on their currency was the Netherlands. Their bills had raised dots that you could feel for the seeing-impaired - different number of dots for each denomination.

I love fresh comments to old OP's (October 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM) - almost as much fun as replying to one-post-wonders ;)

Since the OP's comments, tips have gone up (at least on RCI) - new guidelines:

$5pp/per day to the Stateroom Attendant;

$3.75pp/per day to the Waiter;

$2.15pp/per day to the Asst Waiter;

.75pp/per day to the Head Waiter (I'm not sure ForWhat???).

Tips to a faithful server in the Windjammer puts a smile on their face and they will be looking for you, next visit (try to keep in the same area) - good service becomes Excellent. everybody, happy, mon!

To the best of my knowledge, each stateroom guest is expected to tip - and if you are truly messy and/or required special assistance from your Attendant (or wait staff), xtra money is appreciated.

15% still added to each bar service.

$1 - $2 per each room service delivery.

Some even tip some to the pool towel person.

Spas will charge and then you are expected to tip, as you go. (and buy all that they try to sell you).

Being our first cruise, we opted to prepay for the tips on our Royal Caribbean cruise next month.

The main reason was that it was so much easier to budget it in with the whole cost, pay it in advance, and not have to worry about coming up with more money during the cruise. I like knowing it is already taken care of!

The only thing I plan on tipping for now is Room Service, if we use it, and maybe for any crew member who does an exceptional job for us.

It will feel a lot more like an "all-inclusive" to us without having bills to pay at the end!

:)

Please explain the statement that it is easier to budget and not to have to worry about the amount. If you pay at the end, you know exactly what the amount will be - x dollars per day times the number of days on the ship. Not a really hard thing to calculate.

BTW - do you prepay your tip when you go to a restaurant? Do you prepay your tip when you take a tour? Do you prepay your tip when you take a taxi? Do you prepay your tip when you have your hair done? Do you prepay your tips at the spa? Do you prepay your tips at any other establishment?

Why is it that the only place in the world that I can think of where people think that prepaying tips is a great idea is on a cruise chip?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Donaldsc I totally agree but coming from a culture not familiar with tipping I guess I find the whole thing difficult to digest anyway. I will probably prepay so it is out of the way, but the idea of giving extra tips to staff when you meet, request something etc to me sounds like a bribe. You coming from Vegas tipping is part of your life and you still have reservations about the idea of pre pre pre paying them.

Donaldsc I totally agree but coming from a culture not familiar with tipping I guess I find the whole thing difficult to digest anyway. I will probably prepay so it is out of the way, but the idea of giving extra tips to staff when you meet, request something etc to me sounds like a bribe. You coming from Vegas tipping is part of your life and you still have reservations about the idea of pre pre pre paying them.

My other pet peeve is the people who feel that they have to tip the cabin attendant at the beginning of the cruise because they are going to ask for extra services such as ice, wine glasses, etc.

That is what the steward is paid to do - it is his job. If he does not provide those services, he will get a bad review at the end of the cruise and should be fired.

DON

Please explain the statement that it is easier to budget and not to have to worry about the amount. If you pay at the end, you know exactly what the amount will be - x dollars per day times the number of days on the ship. Not a really hard thing to calculate.

BTW - do you prepay your tip when you go to a restaurant? Do you prepay your tip when you take a tour? Do you prepay your tip when you take a taxi? Do you prepay your tip when you have your hair done? Do you prepay your tips at the spa? Do you prepay your tips at any other establishment?

Why is it that the only place in the world that I can think of where people think that prepaying tips is a great idea is on a cruise chip?

DON

I pre pay my tips because I want as much paid for in advance before I leave. I dont mind because I KNOW I am going to get great service so it doesnt bother me. I would never in a million years think of not tipping because of all the people on the ship that do such a great job making my vacation wonderful. If any employee on that ship treated me like I get treated in most land based restaurants they would be fired.

When I go to another establishment that stands behind me and fills my water glass everytime I take a drink, remembers my name and those of my family & what we are drinking after meeting us one time, puts the dressing on my salad & can dance and sing with food on their heads then Ill start pre tipping them too.

There is also ALOT of behind the scenes stuff those people do for us that you never see.

They earn it believe me. ;)

I pre pay my tips because I want as much paid for in advance before I leave. I dont mind because I KNOW I am going to get great service so it doesnt bother me. I would never in a million years think of not tipping because of all the people on the ship that do such a great job making my vacation wonderful. If any employee on that ship treated me like I get treated in most land based restaurants they would be fired.

When I go to another establishment that stands behind me and fills my water glass everytime I take a drink, remembers my name and those of my family & what we are drinking after meeting us one time, puts the dressing on my salad & can dance and sing with food on their heads then Ill start pre tipping them too.

There is also ALOT of behind the scenes stuff those people do for us that you never see.

They earn it believe me. ;)

I agree 100%. I, for one, am glad I can pre-pay my tips using cash funds. Putting them on a charge card increases the balance and if not paid right away ends up with interest charges.

There are many arguments on this subject but the reason I prefer this method is that we eat in the traditional dining room and my pre-paid tips go to those assigned to our cabin and table. After an inquiry to RCCL I was told that anyone else I may be inclined to tip will be welcome. Also, on RCCL, the My Time diners are now required to pre-pay their tips. I don't know if they can opt out later or not.

Our first cruise is ont he carnival legend dec 18th-26th.

We did the pre paid tips and prepaid or shuttle to and fromt he airport and also pre paid our excursions. just seemed eaiser.

we will probably tip the room steward extra, and if we do room service and porter im sure.

I am with the crowd that would just rather it be paid in advance rather then a bill at the end. DH and i do not drink alcohol or sodas so should not have much of a sail and sign bill.

Didn't some cruise lines remove tipping from their Australian cruises because of cultural issues? As a Brit, it doesn't come naturally either. I'd rather the staff got paid a decent wage and the cruise fares were higher to compensate, but that's just me...............

I don't know which cruise line you are cruising with, but with NCL, you can prepay the DSC with your cruise OR you can also call them at any time prior to your cruise and prepay it. So, if you don't feel like paying for it along with the chunk of $$ for your cruise....take some time and pay it a week or so before your cruise.

There are other things that you can prepay ahead of time as well...like the soda package or drinks for the room and so on. We like to have things prepaid prior to sailing...just less that we have to worry about during our cruise (or should I say at the end of the cruise). :)

DON

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer...the post you quoted was made 5 years ago...

I don't know which cruise line you are cruising with, but with NCL, you can prepay the DSC with your cruise OR you can also call them at any time prior to your cruise and prepay it. So, if you don't feel like paying for it along with the chunk of $$ for your cruise....take some time and pay it a week or so before your cruise.

There are other things that you can prepay ahead of time as well...like the soda package or drinks for the room and so on. We like to have things prepaid prior to sailing...just less that we have to worry about during our cruise (or should I say at the end of the cruise). :)

i always thought why pre-pay but when you are going for 2 weeks and 2 people that adds to your on board acct--so i had just called to talk with NCL cos we always do this on the ship and decided i will purchase the soda pkg at least for the first week and then pay the DSC charges...NICE not to have almost $400 dollars worth of those charges on my onboard acct, so i now see how it can be a GOOD idea!!!

they recommended not to be more than a week out pre-paying.

Edited by STARFISH*4

i always thought why pre-pay but when you are going for 2 weeks and 2 people that adds to your on board acct--so i had just called to talk with NCL cos we always do this on the ship and decided i will purchase the soda pkg at least for the first week and then pay the DSC charges...NICE not to have almost $400 dollars worth of those charges on my onboard acct, so i now see how it can be a GOOD idea!!!

they recommended not to be more than a week out pre-paying.

Yea, we sometimes pay up our OBC (if we don't have enough given to us from our TA to cover all the things we plan on spending on the ship) just so that when our cruise is over we don't have anything left to pay. I usually come within $10 or less of all my expenses and get a refund at the end. :p It's kinda nice to walk away with a bill that is 0 balance. :)

Can i just check on something? Since gratuities have already been pre-paid when we book the cruise...how much (for a family of 4) $ do we need to bring on board the ship? Is USD500 more than enough for a 7N cruise?

Can i just check on something? Since gratuities have already been pre-paid when we book the cruise...how much (for a family of 4) $ do we need to bring on board the ship? Is USD500 more than enough for a 7N cruise?

Not sure what you mean. Did you actually prepay your gratuities in addition to your cruise fare already? Because the cruise fare does not include the gratuities. Just wasn't sure if you knew this or not.

As for how much to bring, everyone differs. It depends what all you plan on doing. Are you going to specialty restaurants there? How much alcohol will you consume? Plan on buying gifts or anything else from the stores tax free? Plan on gambling? Drinking soda?

Then after that, you have to factor in anything that you will be doing on the islands while in port. Taxi fares, excursions/tours, rental of any equipment needed (beach chairs, snorkeling equipment) and so on. Food if you plan on eating while in port. Gifts...the list can go on. The best thing to do is sit down and read all the things to do while you are in the ports you'll be visiting. Then make a list and start researching the prices of the things you'll need to pay for. :)

It may be enough...It really depends on you and your family though. If you have your onboard account linked to a credit card then more than likely you will be fine because everything you purchase onboard will be charged to your credit card. However, if you plan on using cash for your onboard account or make a lot of cash purchases while in port (excursions, souvenirs...etc) than the $500.00 may not be enough.

Try and figure out what you plan to do onboard and in port and how you want to pay for everything. This will give you an idea of how much cash you and your family will actually need.

Not sure what you mean. Did you actually prepay your gratuities in addition to your cruise fare already? Because the cruise fare does not include the gratuities. Just wasn't sure if you knew this or not.

As for how much to bring, everyone differs. It depends what all you plan on doing. Are you going to specialty restaurants there? How much alcohol will you consume? Plan on buying gifts or anything else from the stores tax free? Plan on gambling? Drinking soda?

Then after that, you have to factor in anything that you will be doing on the islands while in port. Taxi fares, excursions/tours, rental of any equipment needed (beach chairs, snorkeling equipment) and so on. Food if you plan on eating while in port. Gifts...the list can go on. The best thing to do is sit down and read all the things to do while you are in the ports you'll be visiting. Then make a list and start researching the prices of the things you'll need to pay for. :)

Yeah, i have prepaid my gratuities when i booked my cruise and that is in addition to my cruise fare. I will be going on a Europe cruise, perhaps need to bring both USD & Euro. Well, i do not think i will spend alot on the ship..perhaps just drinks, small tips and abit of shopping that's all. Will spend more in the ports such as food and souvenirs.

It may be enough...It really depends on you and your family though. If you have your onboard account linked to a credit card then more than likely you will be fine because everything you purchase onboard will be charged to your credit card. However, if you plan on using cash for your onboard account or make a lot of cash purchases while in port (excursions, souvenirs...etc) than the $500.00 may not be enough.

Try and figure out what you plan to do onboard and in port and how you want to pay for everything. This will give you an idea of how much cash you and your family will actually need.

Can i know how does the onboard account linked to credit card works? Do i need to inform/register with RCI which credit card i will be using?

Can i know how does the onboard account linked to credit card works? Do i need to inform/register with RCI which credit card i will be using?

Yup, but it is very simple. When you actually fill out your paper work/check-in online you can give the credit card information for your onboard expense account at that point. When you get to the pier, they will verify everything with you in person.