We have been put in a handicapped room . . .

thymcruisers

this is sooo confusing. I booked a JS on RCCL for our Nov 2013 cruise - when I recd the confirmation I noticed that it was an accessible suite. I emailed my travel agent advising her that neither my husband or I are handicapped and don't need an accessible cabin and and told her we were willing to give it up. her emailed reply below: : I feel bad now but what should I do - force them to switch me??

Hello , If the cruise line needs your cabin for a handicapped person, they would move you to another cabin in the same or better catagory, so no, you do not need to give this up. Melaniecleardot.gif

this is sooo confusing. I booked a JS on RCCL for our Nov 2013 cruise - when I recd the confirmation I noticed that it was an accessible suite. I emailed my travel agent advising her that neither my husband or I are handicapped and don't need an accessible cabin and and told her we were willing to give it up. her emailed reply below: : I feel bad now but what should I do - force them to switch me??

Hello , If the cruise line needs your cabin for a handicapped person, they would move you to another cabin in the same or better catagory, so no, you do not need to give this up. Melaniecleardot.gif

If they need the cabin, you'll get a call. You should be fine. Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

If they need the cabin, they'll bump you. I just had someone bumped from their room on Carnival because I needed the accessible cabin. They'll get the same or better room (there were other rooms available in that category, but for reasons unknown, they have the accessible room) and we get what we need. If someone needs the accessible room, the person in it who doesn't need it will be moved. So no need to feel guilty about having it.

:)Hello.... We were late booking a cruise with Azamara and other than an internal cabin , all that was left was a HC cabin. We found it to be very spacious and well located for lift access. It was fine ... enjoy your trip!!!

Regards...

Willy Ham

I just booked the Freedom on Oct 5th and was told there were only 2 cabins left! Deck 2 or 9, I choose Deck 9 and it turns out to be a handicap cabin. I did not select this cabin, it was assigned to me! Not everyone tries to get into a HC Cabin.

NCL assigned us an obstructed OV cabin for HC pax, it was bigger and roomier - and we didn't need it and they maintained the right to reassign us.

Checked in at the pier went smoothly and then 24 hours after sailing our 7 days, we got "bumped" - ending up with a 10+ category free upgrade, exchanged for a mid-ship balcony one deck above on #9 floor, after getting a call from HD personally (we met her at the CC's M&G that morning) asking us if we would mind. DW and I ended up with the "smaller" size cabin with 2 chairs on the balcony - still feeling a little guilty :) :D

Cruiselines do block & reserve these small # of HC cabins all the time but if they will release them to the general pool for booking & sometimes assign it to those GTY folks like us as it get close to sailing, instead of an empty cabin.

We are not disabled and would never want an accessible room, however, in defense of the OP, more than once when I was doing 'dummy' bookings, just to see what was available, on various cruise lines, when the cabins available list came up, sometimes that included an accessible cabin.

Also, it's not always that obvious that a room is accessible, especially if you're not paying close attention to the symbols and descriptions.

I have also heard of people with guarantee cabins being assigned such a room.

Personally, I'd never knowingly book an accessible cabin, but not everyone is knowledgeable as to booking sites and rules and how this all works.

I definitely agree that booking an accessible cabin (and not being disabled) in the hopes of having extra room is wrong.

Archived