Tell me about the Mercury

islandermg

Hello, I have only taken one Celebrity cruise and that was on the Zenith to Bermuda and I was not happy. Maybe because people get "spoiled" after 15 cruises. We didn't think we would take any more cruises but friends want us to go with them on the Mercury to Australia and NZ in 2008. If any of you have been on the Mercury, please send me your likes and dislikes. Also, the conscierge class on the Zenith was a waste of money. I will start another thread just about what to do and see "down under."

dirk pitt

two many cruises to remember

I took my first Celebrity cruise on the Mercury in September, and had a great time (there's a review thread somewhere around here.) Though it was only a 4 day trip, I was impressed with the ship and the crew both.

Hope this helps,

Dave

We prefer Mercury over the M-class ships.:D Others tell a different story. Take what you read as a grain of salt, as many will describe her as a nothing more than a rust bucket.:rolleyes: She is a beautiful ship with a staff that was fantastic.

But to be honest, we have never had a bad cruise...maybe we are easy to please...

Nancy

Hello, I have only taken one Celebrity cruise and that was on the Zenith to Bermuda and I was not happy. Maybe because people get "spoiled" after 15 cruises. We didn't think we would take any more cruises but friends want us to go with them on the Mercury to Australia and NZ in 2008. If any of you have been on the Mercury, please send me your likes and dislikes. Also, the conscierge class on the Zenith was a waste of money. I will start another thread just about what to do and see "down under."

dirk pitt

two many cruises to remember

Sounds like you have only cruised the "upper end".

What makes you think that you would even want to try the Mercury, after your "spoiled" 15 cruises.

I must say that "my" butler on the Mercury is better than your butler!

What other comparisons would you like to discuss!!!:D

Rick

I would just continue to do as much research as I possibly can prior to committing to your cruise. That way you will know exactly what you are getting into.

Zenith makes no bones about the difference between its regular ocean view stateroom and a CC stateroom, so I am sorry you fell into something you weren't happy about.

This board is great for information, hope you find all the pre cruising info you need this time. :) I would also use the search feature this message board has.

I agree, Cachecara: The original poster should keep doing research about other options, then make a decision about which line to sail to Australia.

These are my impressions: We returned from a MERCURY cruise on Oct. 6, and had a CC cabin. It was our 14th cruise. Our cabin was very clean, the carpeting new. Overall, while the ship needs decorative updating, which I understand it will receive in April '07, it is kept spotless. This was our first cruise on MERCURY, and we will sail on it again for a similar cruise without hesitation. The staff were all professional, warm, and courteous, and we always felt like valued guests.

Nicki

Hi Islandermg :)

There is another tread on this forum titled "Mercury, the good, the bad, and the ugly" which has a number of posts about this ship. As I mentioned in that thread, we have sailed on five different Celebrity ships and Mercury is the only one I would not go on again unless it has a major overhaul. On the other hand, Princess has a new ship with some very interesting itineraries for Australia that you might want to consider as an alternative. We certainly are :)

There is another tread on this forum titled "Mercury, the good, the bad, and the ugly" which has a number of posts about this ship. As I mentioned in that thread, we have sailed on five different Celebrity ships and Mercury is the only one I would not go on again unless it has a major overhaul.

I have the same opinion of Mercury vs the other X ships I have enjoyed (Horizon, Zenith, Infinity) and also would not cruise on her again without a major overhaul taking place.

Thanks to all of you with info on the Mercury. I must clarify my Zenith cruise. Rubrrick. Almost all of our cruises were on Princess ships, not "high end" ones and I have never had a bad cruise. I think the real reason I didn't enjoy Bermuda on the Zenith was because I had just received news about a melanoma on my arm that needed another operation and my mind was not on the cruise. I loved the food, the service but not the cabin because yes, we are spoiled and like balconies which the Zenith does not have. On a Tahiti cruise, we met up with about 15 cruise critic cruisers and had a lot of fun with them, several even staying with us in Calif. when out west. The people we meet in here are great and always helpful. I am looking forward to Aus/NZ (except for the 15 hr flte) and wish we were leaving tomorrow.

If any of you would like info about places in So. cal or especially Catalina Island, my home, feel free to write. islandermg@hotmail.com

mike

Alaska 5 times

Mexican Riv. 6 times

Tahiti

Panama Canal

Caribbean

Eastern seaboard

Bermuda

We sailed a second time on the Mercury after enjoying the first time so much. She might be getting a little older but is still fine ship on which to sail. After sailing several times on Princess, Carnival, Norwegian, Holland America and Celebrity, I count my Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mercury as my all time favorite. This had nothing to do with the ports of call, but everything to do with the ship and the fabulous staff onboard. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute booking another cruise on the Mercury.

:rolleyes:

We had a great time on the Mercury, the cova cafe is so much better on the Merc than the M class ships. I felt the rest of the ship,although smaller was very similar to most of the newer ships. She is very easy to navigate except for not being able to get to the lower level of the dining room expect by stairs or the elevator. The one truly terrible thing was the mattresses! It was awful.

We also loved the Mercury! We were on her in Sept of 2003 on a California Coastal Cruise. We did Princess back in July on a Baltics Cruise and will probably not do a Princess cruise again unless the price was real, real good! To me, there is no comparison to Celebrity. Celebrity seems so much better in all aspects with maybe the exception of the entertainment. We sailed the Constellation back in Sept 2005 for her Transatlantic and it was thebest cruise we have taken to date which is about 9 cruises so far. The main reason I like the Mercury is that it is not too small and not too big either, just right!!

We, too, loved Mercury this past July to Alaska. Crew, food and entertainment were excellent and we're booked B2B to Australia/NZ/Honolulu in 2008. We knew when we sailed to Alaska that we were checking out the ship prior to determining if we would keep our 2008 bookings and, obviously, we did! Also heard from the crew that upgrades will occur in drydock next April to include bedding. So no complaints there either. In fact, though I agree that the mattresses were poor, the egg crate topping was comfortable and adequate on our cruise. Hope this opinion helps.

Loved her!!! Would sail on her again in a heart beat!!!!

Mitch, glad to hear you had a great time.:cool:

I love Mercury too and would sail on her anytime. For me she is just the right size and I would have to say that she is my first Celebrity ship and still my favourite. I have thought long and hard about this after being on Millennium and I still prefer the smaller ship.

Phil

Archived