Anyone back from Summit 30 Sept trip to Hawaii

uktog

I know you will just be back and a little annoyed to be home - but can anyone tell me how the trip was and who the current staff on Summit are. We will be taking that trip in 2 weeks time and the excitement is barely containable

We got back yesterday and overall the cruise was amazing. I have never had so much fun on a cruise or met so many fun people. We had perfect weather the whole time and sailing over and back was smooth.

I wish I had paid more attention to who the staff were so I could answer your question. I believe the captain is Captain Kyogiannis (or something similar...). Our waiter in the dining room was the best we have ever had. If you can get at Mauricio's table, try and do it and tell him that Lisa and Kim (from the Sept. 30 sailing) say hi and are still singing his praises and wishing we had hid our luggage and stowed away on the next sailing.

Also, say hi to Steve on the activities staff for us (and Quentin, Matt, and Breanna) who were lots of fun. We went to tons of the trivia and Name that Tune games and won all sorts of Celebrity "ship stuff". The length of the cruise and sea days are great because we got to know more people and more of the crew than we typically do.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

I'm sure you've heard the news of the earthquake that hit Kailua Kona today.

We are leaving for Hawaii on the Infinity next week. How cool was it the first day or two out of LA? I am trying to make final decisions on what to pack. Anything you can share about the weather or interesting things in ports will be appreciated.

I'm sure you've heard the news of the earthquake that hit Kailua Kona today.

We are leaving for Hawaii on the Infinity next week. How cool was it the first day or two out of LA? I am trying to make final decisions on what to pack. Anything you can share about the weather or interesting things in ports will be appreciated.

Just back from Summit 9/30...

The first day out was a little cool, after that the closer we got each day the warmer it was! Infact...I look like a native...but alas...it will soon fade, back in Oregon and it is raining....ooh I'm starting to rust...but I digress. Be prepared for hot humid weather once you reach the islands. They were expecting the trade winds any time but I believe we found them on the trip back to LA...first day at sea great but each day after very, very windy. Was able to get in two days at pool, but last day...only 68.

So, pack a light jacket and slacks, but otherwise, pack for hot weather.

My favorite port was Kona...great shopping! Maui great as well, but we had a short day there. If you have any more questions, please get back to me, would be happy to answer any I can. Aloha!

For us that sounds lovely and warm!! Great to hear you had good trips I am sure we will have fun as well. Apart from the Trivia what sort of activities did they have during the days at sea - were there any special guest speakers ?

We had two guest speakers that I was aware of on this trip. One was a maritime historian who gave several lectures about early ocean liners and history there. We also had Paki Allen, a Hawaii native, who gave several lectures about Hawaii. His father also happened to be aboard our cruise and gave a class on learning to play the ukelele.

There is a movie theater on board with movies playing in the afternoons and evenings. There were also a lot of pool side games and activities going on. I talked with a lot of people who were very involved with the spa and loved it. There were also classes on a variety of health related topics (typical topics for spas) and on accupuncture.

There was a class on making leis but I would advise you to go early if you do that because they ran out of flowers. If you missed the class, you could sign up for a second class on the way back which is probably a better deal because you could make your lei and still have it fresh when you arrived at home.

We also had a LOT of really good dancers on the ship and it was fun to watch the couples dancing before dinner in the lounges. I've never seen that many people out the dance floors. The later night parties in the Bar at the Edge of the World were also well attended with great participation. The All-White Masquerade ball after the Cirque du Soleil show was particularly good. Be sure to bring white clothing with you and a mask if you can because those you buy on board were kind of price-y. They did have construction paper and templates for making masks right before the party and a lot of people did that too.

We also had Paki on our March Hawaii cruise and he has a wealth of information on how to get around on your own in the islands. Lots of money saving yet safe tips. The lei making classes are not to be missed. We made up a little gift bag of Canadian items (ice wine, maple syrup) which we were happy to give him. Nice to share some of our culture when he was so happy to share his. Enjoy.

Sounds wonderful. Maybe I will make up a little Scottish bag for him. I alrady have some made up for the cabin attendants etc. We are a little worried for the people of Hawaii just nw, though the news over here does not seem to be as bad as I had feared

You are absolutely going to love this cruise. I think that there were two days on the return that were cool and you needed a light jacket. It was really pretty warm in Hawaii. Kona was our favorite port and The Beach Shack across from the pier has a great shuttle to snorkling. The prettiest fish and huge sea turtles.

The White Party was really fun! The cruise director is John Howell. We loved the pianionist, Garin Bader.

Outstanding pastries at the COVA cafe (which are free) and wonderful waffles at the back of the ship till 10:30 A.M.

Have fun.

:)

Just back from Summit 9/30...

The first day out was a little cool, after that the closer we got each day the warmer it was! Infact...I look like a native...but alas...it will soon fade, back in Oregon and it is raining....ooh I'm starting to rust...but I digress. Be prepared for hot humid weather once you reach the islands. They were expecting the trade winds any time but I believe we found them on the trip back to LA...first day at sea great but each day after very, very windy. Was able to get in two days at pool, but last day...only 68.

So, pack a light jacket and slacks, but otherwise, pack for hot weather.

My favorite port was Kona...great shopping! Maui great as well, but we had a short day there. If you have any more questions, please get back to me, would be happy to answer any I can. Aloha!

I read your review and was wondering if you could share details about the local bus you took around the Oahu. How do you catch this bus and how long does it take from start to finish. We are on the Dec. 9 sailing. Thanking you in advance.

Karrie

I read your review and was wondering if you could share details about the local bus you took around the Oahu. How do you catch this bus and how long does it take from start to finish. We are on the Dec. 9 sailing. Thanking you in advance.

Karrie

The actual spot where one catches the bus, was indeed a bit confusing as we left the ship there were "Celebrity Staff" assisting guests in bus info etc. We were directed to catch the bus on a street (don't recall the name) approx. 2 blks away...we infact walked there along with several others and waited, and waited eventually being told by another bus driver that indeed the loc. to get on this bus was the other direction. Bottom line...the bus number is 55...find where that is picking up and you'll be fine. I went online prior to the cruise (search for "the Bus" Hawaii) and they sent me a schedule which was very helpful. The trip takes approx 3 hours, at which time you may get off at any stop and be able to catch another bus, they run the route frequently, but check the schedule for times, etc. If you are unable to locate the website...let me know and I'll locate my paperwork and help you out. We also used The Bus to get down to Waikiki...cheap and interesting. Hope this helps.

I don't remember that the All White Party was on a formal night... might have been an informal night though. I saw a wide variety of styles in white. Some people were very dressed up in beautiful white dresses. Others were much more casual with white jeans and tops. It probably depended on what people happened to have with them.

Karrie: Paki Allen provided us with bus information and schedules and, as noted above, it is about a 2 block walk to the bus stops. The bus is cheap, easy to use but definitely NOT comfortable. We used it to get up to the north shore and we definitely wouldn't have wanted to be on it for any longer. On the return we stopped at the Dole Pineapple Factory where they have the most amazing pineapple soft-serve ice cream which is not to be missed and then, using the 2 hour transfer, headed to Waikiki Beach. All this travel for $4. each.

The All-White Masquerade ball after the Cirque du Soleil show was particularly good. Be sure to bring white clothing with you and a mask if you can because those you buy on board were kind of price-y. They did have construction paper and templates for making masks right before the party and a lot of people did that too.

Were the masks the 1/2 type you see at Mardi Gras? Are the masks white? Do the men wear them? Where would I purchase one at home? Thanks :)

The masks that I saw were all the 1/2 type ones that you see for Mardi Gras-- both the purchased ones and the ones that people made. Most of them were not white. There are some that can be purchased at the Cirque du Soleil store onboard starting at about $9.99. At least that's what I heard they started at... By the time I looked, the cheapest ones were in the $50 range although they were pretty cool. If you want to buy one for the party on the ship, I would get there early while there is still a selection of less expensive masks. However, you could easily buy an eye mask right now at home since its the Halloween season at any costume store and it wouldn't take up much room in your luggage.

There was a band and quite a few people were dancing. In talking to the activities staff, they were very pleased with the turn out and the participation on this cruise. Apparently, sometimes there aren't as many people dancing and lots of people just watch the entertainment staff dancing...

On this cruise, there were a lot of good dancers, not just at this party but also at the lounge closest to the main dining room. I'm not much of a dancer but enjoyed watching couples dancing every night before dinner.

Anyone know what band is on the Summit?

The band on the most recent cruise (disembarked 10/28) was Great Ideas. However there were several personnel changes that were scheduled to take place yesterday, including vacations for Captain Skylogiannis, the Hotel Director, most of the Childrens' Staff, and the leader (at least) of the Celebrity Orchestra. It's possible that the band was also rotated.

Archived