Christmas Eve - What to do for 8 hrs on the 24th....

AnthonyF

Plane leaves at 6:00... Looked at car rental and it is over $100 for the day.

Any ideas for place to store luggage and where to go? I hear the canal cruise is interesting and may be somne last second X-mas shopping.

Also where to go for a good lunch as we get home probably 2:00 am....

Thanks,

Plane leaves at 6:00... Looked at car rental and it is over $100 for the day.

Any ideas for place to store luggage and where to go? I hear the canal cruise is interesting and may be somne last second X-mas shopping.

Also where to go for a good lunch as we get home probably 2:00 am....

Thanks,

Hi Anthony:) the canal cruise? Not sure I have heard of that before?

Did you mean the "Water Taxi"? That is definitely an enjoyable ride.

Starting at Las Olas, going north and back again will take you probably

1.5 hours...so you still have the day left.

I agree with the other folks who gave the day room suggestion.

As for restaurants, even though it is Christmas Eve plenty of

them will be open. It is a tourist area all the time down there;).

And many hotels that have restaurants are always open

for lunch and dinner too.

See you in 60 days:D

Anthony, I just used Priceline to rent a car for 21 per day in FLL when the lowest rates posted were $80 and higher. I use it often for South Florida.

As far as a day rate for a hotel, keep in mind that most do not guarantee check in til 3pm so you will be not much better off with a room than without one IMO, unless the weather is unseasonably warm and you plan to hang by the pool.

Where do you get a day room? Would be contingent on weather. Will try Priceline prior to leaving or last day of cruise.

The canal taxi is what I was referring to. A cruise priced Ft. Lauderdale excursion I think not. There are 4 of us.

I have had a day room at lago Mar and the Riverside. I had to check out of the room by 4PM, but had all hotel privilages. I think the room at the lago mar was about $60.

Have also done a lot of day rooms in Hawaii, when our flight does not leave until 10 PM or so. Normally, you call the hotel in the morning and they let you know if there are any available.

I have had a day room at lago Mar and the Riverside. I had to check out of the room by 4PM, but had all hotel privilages. I think the room at the lago mar was about $60.

Interesting as Riverside told me recently they could not offer this...perhaps it is a matter of season and occupancy level.

Where do you get a day room? Would be contingent on weather. Will try Priceline prior to leaving or last day of cruise.

The canal taxi is what I was referring to. A cruise priced Ft. Lauderdale excursion I think not. There are 4 of us.

Last year we spent Dec 23rd in FLL, boarding the Millie on the 24th for a Christmas/New Years cruise through the Panama Canal to santiago Chile. All day tickets are $7/pp and it is like the HOHO buses--hop-on, hop-off.

The Christmas decorations on the multi-million dollar canal-front mansions have to be seen to be believed. They will be lit all day on the 24th[although at night they are spectacular].

I think you and your family could entertain yourselves the entire day by hopping on and off to check out the various hotel lobby and poolside decorations and eating at one canal-side restaurant or another.

I think day rooms are based on that nights occupancy. Normally, in my past expierences, hotels only offer day rooms on the day you call. Thus, if they have empty rooms for that night, they are more likely to offer day rooms.

Several times I have had to call several hotels to see which one offers day rooms. I have not been able to get one in advance, to the cruise. Only the day we are leaving the ship.

Archived