Houston to Galveston via Enterprise

Smiling Cruiser

Just tried to book a one-way rental to Galveston from IAH. The agent was very nice. :) She was apologetic when she went to list the drop off site as Port Galveston. She stated that cars absolutely cannot be dropped off at this site according to her information. :( I know someone posted that the office near the pier was closed recently and the drop off site was a little further away. I didn't ask for "Port Galveston", I just said Galveston. Do you know if both of these sites were considered "Port Galveston". Has anyone used this agency recently and is the second site still accepting cars? CC'ers tend to often have more accurate information than those at the 1-800 numbers. (No insult intended here. I just think someone onsite will be more informed than someone off site.) Tomorrow I will try to book directly with the Galveston site. I will be disappointed if this is a new policy. If anyone has a recent booking experience I would be happy to hear from you. Thank you. Kathy:)

Hertz has two locationsin Galveston, one which is at the cruise terminal. More expensive, but if you want a car....

1021 61st Street HLE

1021 61st Street, Suite 100

Galveston, Texas, United States

Mo-Fr 0700-1800, Sa 0900-1200, Su Closed

Galveston Cruise Terminal

2502 Harborside Drive

Galveston, Texas, United States

Su-Mo 0900-1200, Tu-We Closed, Th-Sa 0900-1200

Enterprise office that's left in galveston-

5919 BROADWAY

GALVESTON, TX 77551-4386

Tel.: (409) 740-0700

When I did my one way rental from Enterprise for my July trip on the conquest, I had to call the airport office. The national 800 # couldn't do it. Fortuntely, the person I talked to there told me what to do. Call the IAH office direct at 281-230-8200. The location you want to drop off at is:

5919 BROADWAY

GALVESTON, TX 77551-4386

Tel.: (409) 740-0700

Good luck

Ron

Hi there,

I just did the Enterprise one-way rental from Hobby airport to Galveston on October 8th. Enterprise has a 1-800 number for one-way rentals within Texas (800-848-9613), which is how I arranged the rentals. I was given a printed page of instructions at the Hobby airport rental office telling us what to do with the car in Galveston, which was to drop the car off at their Broadway location. We arrived after 2 pm (their closing time on Sundays), so I dropped off the other passengers at the pier, returned the car (they have a key drop box), and got a taxi back to the pier. We did a one-way Enterprise rental on the way back to Hobby Oct. 15th as well. We went to their rental counter at the pier (in the Carnival terminal). Their sign said they open at 9 am, but someone was there at 8 & was able to get us a car then. The car was located at the pier (across the street in a parking garage) so we didn't have to go back to the Broadway location. I don't understand why they have cars at the cruise terminal, but you can't drop one off there if you do the one-way to Galveston. Maybe someone else here knows?

This was a very economical alternative to the airport shuttles. We chose to fly to Hobby because of cheap airfare, hence forgoing a cruiseline transfer, since Royal Caribbean does not offer a transfer from Hobby. I spent $62.23 for a jeep liberty on the way to Galveston (no drop-off fee charged) and $42.70 for a Ford F-150 on the way back to Hobby...again no drop-off fee & we didn't have to refuel it. They needed to move the trucks out of Galveston, so they gave us a deal. We got 4 people to & from the pier & spent a total of $104.93. The cheapest shuttle I could find would have been $240 for all of us.

Hope this helps;)

I booked a 15 passenger van from Intercontinental Airport (~10 mins from my home on the north side of Houston) for a one-way drop off in Galveston for $109.99 plus tax for our 2/24/2007 departure. There will be 8 adults plus luggage for a 7-day cruise, so this was the best deal for us. You have to book this size vehicle from their cargo office at 281-540-1070 -- the manager's name is Sunny. You drop off your passengers and luggage at the terminal, go 3.7 miles to the Enterprise office that is open 7 days in Galveston and they have a shuttle that will take the vehicle's drive back to the cruise ship at no charge. If you don't want to wait for the shuttle, a taxi will cost ~$7 to get you back to the terminal. Upon returning, Enterprise has a counter at the cruise terminal and the vehicle will be RTG in the parking lot for our return.

Hope this helps someone else out there. Sorry, I don't have any info on cars.

There are problems with renting from Enterprise for December, January and February. Apparently the Enterprise and Hertz services at the piers is currently not being renewed. I have rented from Enterprise (both ways) in the past and it worked very well.

We are on a cruise January 7, 2007; and when I tried to book two one way rentals, Hobby to Galveston, and Galveston to Hobby for a week later, I ran into some problems.

I was able to reserve a car for the trip from Hobby to the port on January 6, 2007. although they will charge an additional $40.00 for the one way drop off fee.

When I wanted to reserve a car for January 14 for the return trip from Galveston to Hobby I was told that they were "sold out" for all dates in January and February 2007.

I was directed to call the local Enterprise office in Galveston to see what they could do and if there is a wait list.

This is what I found out. The car rental companies are currently negotiating with the Port of Galveston as to whether or not they will be able to continue to offer service from the Port. The Enterprise rep in Galveston said that they are not making any reservations for Sundays, since they will probably not be allowed to operate from the Port. If they are not able to continue operations at the Port, they will be closed on Sundays. He did tell me that, currently, Hertz is continuing operations from the port, but they are not taking reservations for cars and the only way to get one is to walk up to their port of Galveston kiosk and see if they have any available. That is too much uncertainty for me, so I am seeking other alternatives.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with limos or other forms of transportation, please post comments here.

Thanks

Hypo

I talked to Royal this morning, and they do not offer return trip transfers from Galveston to Houston Hobby Airport. they only offer transfers to IAH (Bush International).

I decided to just rent a car for a week and leave it at the hotel which has free cruise parking.

Hypo

• 3 weeks later...

I have a reservation for 2 one-way rentals from Enterprise for Jan 2007. I am a little concerned after I read the last few posts. I do have confirmation numbers for a p/u from Hobby Jan 13 drop off in Galveston Jan 14 (this is obviously a Sun) I also Have confirmation number for rental from Galveston to Hobby Jan 21. They did charge a one way fee of $40 for the Jan 13 reservation and not for the Jan 21. I will try and call the Galveston office tomorrow and clarify my reservation. I will post whatever I find out here.

Thought I might be able to just edit my last post with no luck:confused: So here is my next post.

I just got off the phone with Galveston's enterprise office. He informed me that they are still doing the one ways and the port location. He said depending on the day 2 things can happen.(this is from gal-hou)

1. go to terminal 1 do paperwork, get keys, walk across the street and there is your car, you get outta there

2. go to terminal 1, do paperwork, get on shuttle to broadway location, get your car and now you are outta here!

He said they had SEVERAL days that were sold out for this and that could be why people thought they were no longer doing this. I guess I am glad that I am very much a planner (my husband would say anal) and booked this as a just in case. (which we need now) He did not mentian any negotations but maybe they are done and where able to continue this service. You might want to call directly once again to just be sure those days are really sold out.

Thought I might be able to just edit my last post with no luck:confused: ...

An Edit button will appear on your post for only 20 minutes. After that, you can no longer edit the post.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this site and this thread, I now have a reasonable one-way rental from IAH to Galveston! I am using an Entertainment book coupon for 20% off, plus by calling IAH Enterprise direct, they waived the $40 drop off fee! Enterprise in Galveston doesn't have a one-way reservation available for my reurn, but said they USUALLY have one available at the pier. Not sure if I want to chance it. If I can book a shuttle, w/o paying in advance, then I'll do that, and try to get a rental. It was $76 for the return to IAH, which is only a bit more than a shuttle for two.

Thanks everyone! :)

Same thing is happening to me:

Got 1 way Enterprise rental IAH-Galveston for $50 (AAA rate) at the end of January, but they were sold out for the return in early February. Got the return to IAH booked with Hertz for $65 (corp rate). Both price quotes include taxes and are for economy/compact cars but that's OK since there's only two of us...

I'm glad that Enterprise was available for the pre-cruise rental since Hertz wanted $111 for that one..

Only 7 1/2 weeks to go...

Same thing is happening to me:

Got 1 way Enterprise rental IAH-Galveston for $50 (AAA rate) at the end of January, but they were sold out for the return in early February. Got the return to IAH booked with Hertz for $65 (corp rate). Both price quotes include taxes and are for economy/compact cars but that's OK since there's only two of us...

I'm glad that Enterprise was available for the pre-cruise rental since Hertz wanted $111 for that one..

Only 7 1/2 weeks to go...

I just booked the same thing with Enterprise and Hertz for our cruise in the middle of January. Cheaper and more convenient than using the shuttle or limo service.

Several of the last few messages refer to enterprise rentals from IAH to Galveston and NO DROP OFF FEE. I called 281-230-8200 at IAH and could book a plymourth van for 1/14. However, they enfatically said there would be a $40 DOF. What are you doing to get the drop off fee waived ?

The $117 cost included the DOF and at that price it might be less of a hassle to pay the $35 shuttle fee (Houston professional airport shuttle)

Clueless.

We booked an economy (KIA) from Enterprise at IAH and dropped it in off in Galveston this past November. Was not charged the $40.00 drop-off fee. The car rental fee was $17.95 +tax. The bill came in the Credit card statement with a total of $22.95. Price quoted on the phone included $40 fee and I booked the reservstion. When we got to IAH my bill did not include drop-off fee so I asked if we would have to pay it in cash at the drop off site. The agent said there was no fee if we dropped the car in Galveston. We didn't do anything to have the fee waived-honest! I hope you will get the same answer when you arrive at IAH. Let us know how it turns out. Happy sails to you-:)

I was also quoted a rate with Enterprise that included the drop off fee of $40. It was even listed on the email confirmation they sent me. I was wondering if those who had the $40 fee waived received email confirmations that included it. Were you expecting to pay the extra $40 at the time you picked the car up? Thanks for the help!

Yes to all your questions. We expected to pay it and it was on our confirmation. When we arrived at IAH I was so surprised that I asked about it! (That was Dumb!) NO drop off charge for us :D and I hope none for you! $40.00 dollars will buy a few drinks, kiddie trinkets, spins of the roulette wheel or other items. Have a great trip and happy sails:)

I am also flying into Hobby airport but I am sailing with NCL out of the port of houston. I will be in Houston a day early and wanted to rent a car. I was wondering if anyone knew if Enterprise or anyother agencies have a drop-off location at or near the Houston port. Any suggestions as to where to turn would be appreciated.

Archived