Do I have to wear shoes on formal night?

drfun48

Whilst ya'll are thinking up outrageous outfits, I keep thinking about sitting while you flush! The suction alone would keep you on the pot for the entire cruise!! :eek:

Imagine having to call your cabin steward to "break the suction seal" (hahahaha) :p

Seriously (did I just say that?) Maybe we should all vote to bring back Theme Nights and add the theme of the most outrageuos formal outfit! It has to be better than Toga night! ;)

Okay, so I am sitting at work chuckling softly to myself when I get to this posting...I woke the office up I think laughing!!!!!!! OMG this thread is a riot. We were saying on our last cruise how frightening the suction is on the toilet!Maybe that is how all those people are dissappearing!

Ya Think???:p

This has to be the stupidist thread ever on CC. Let's get back to the important stuff like booze, wine, chair hogs and kids screwing up the elevators.

Damn, I missed the elevators activity...only 10 mnths to the next chance:mad:

On our Alaska cruise a couple of years ago, DH and I decided that shoes on formal night were not specified, so we wore our "formal" high-top sneakers. (His are red, mine are pink.) From the ankles up, we were dressed to the nines. I can't tell you how many people saw our shoes and flashed us a "thumbs up" sign or came up to us to say they thought we were being so practical. Comfort and safety, yet in the dining room sitting at our table, we still looked perfectly formal. Even in the professional photos - how many times do you see shoes in those? So, we did it our way, loved it, ... but would probably not do it again. We DID feel kind of conspicuous.

Each of the three Captain's table photos we have proudly show me with a Mickey Mouse bow tie and cumberbund. For semi-formal it's usually a South Park tie. :D

LOL!! as long as it's not Mr. Hankey, right? i'm taking my very first cruise on the Mercury on 11/10. i live in San Diego and, for the most part, it's pretty casual here. wonder if i can wear my formal beach sandals? :cool:

besides the plethora of information this has been my favorite thread. thanks!

I've been reading these posts after a friend of ours told me about it tonight. We were on a 14 day cruise from Jacksonville to the Panama Canal and back two years ago and on the last formal night I decieded to ware my black sandals with black socks with my suite. I thought my wife was going to kill me.:) To my surprise not one single person noticed all night. I was extremely comfortable and truly enjoyed our last formal night without my feet hurting once.

We're sailing again on Celebrity on 1/8/07 out of San Diego and on our Roll Call I've told everybody I was looking for a pair of Black Patient leather sandals for my tux. I think everyone thought I was kidding, but I was really serious. I did quite a bit of checking and would you believe that nobody makes Black Patient leather sandals. Shoe manufactures just have no class.:D I guess I'll have to ware normal black shoes on the three formal nights. I'm afraid they will put me off the ship if I try the sandal thing again.

Jim

You don't see the humor in all of this? Lighten up!

Bravo MGilly! I agree that this post has been the most fun post I've read in a while. Nobody complaining about bringing booze, about crappy cruises, about tacky table mates, or rude customer service. We've all been there, but we've all seen the fun you can have on a cruise where nobody really knows your name!

So go ahead and wear your crocs, put on your kilt and your kiltie shoes, and find your silly ties, and ladies....how about knee highs under that dress instead of pantyhose! After all, we will probably never see most of these people again....but they will always remember who we are!

Maybe not everyone gets the fun in this post, but I bet we would make a great group on a cruise together!

And YD66, I just love the word "plethora"!

Happy sailing ya'll!

Of all the policy, rules, suggestions you can choose to ignore I would NOT break the "No sitting while flushing" recommendation posted in each WC.

I always get a chuckle when I read that notice. The picture it puts in my head is so funny. :p Do you get stuck to the seat? :eek: Do any parts of the anatomy get flushed with that tremendous suction? :eek: :eek: :eek: Who do you call for assistance? How do you call for help? How many people got flushed before the signs went up? It would make a great skit for Lucy and Ethel.

Thanks for the Laughs.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Of all the policy, rules, suggestions you can choose to ignore I would NOT break the "No sitting while flushing" recommendation posted in each WC.

I always get a chuckle when I read that notice. The picture it puts in my head is so funny. :p Do you get stuck to the seat? :eek: Do any parts of the anatomy get flushed with that tremendous suction? :eek: :eek: :eek: Who do you call for assistance? How do you call for help? How many people got flushed before the signs went up? It would make a great skit for Lucy and Ethel.

Thanks for the Laughs.

Happy Travels

Cindy

I truly don't believe there is any "danger" at all.

As I hear it told, the pleasure derived is so exhilerating that that no one ever wants to leave the throne.So much time was spent in this "activity" before the signs were posted that both bar and spa revenues plummeted.

And while no one was in fact injured, there were problems with with genital jewelry clogging up the sewerage system.

This truly is one of the" Celebrity Secrets They Don't Tell You."

I always get a chuckle when I read that notice. The picture it puts in my head is so funny. Do you get stuck to the seat? :eek: Do any parts of the anatomy get flushed with that tremendous suction? :eek: :eek: :eek: Who do you call for assistance? How do you call for help? How many people got flushed before the signs went up? It would make a great skit for Lucy and Ethel.

Thanks for the Laughs.

Happy Travels

Cindy

OMG!!!! I really needed that chuckle! I can see Lucy now! What a classic...as good a vitavitavegamin:p

I thought the loss of the Family Jewels would be devastating. But I can see now that some might find it a huge thrill.

Happy Travels

Cindy

The loss of the family jewels would be catastrophic.The loss of their jewelry simply presents a plumbing problem.

The thrill however is more "huge" for some than for others.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can witness the occurance of someone sitting and flushing...it would make a great travel story. I was sitting on the john one day when I thought "let me flush despite the sign warning me not to" then it was terrible! it took hours for them to pry me loose from the seat!

Come-on anyone out there who has done it?

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can witness the occurance of someone sitting and flushing...it would make a great travel story. I was sitting on the john one day when I thought "let me flush despite the sign warning me not to" then it was terrible! it took hours for them to pry me loose from the seat!

Come-on anyone out there who has done it?

actually, the guys/gals on Myth Busters on Discovery channel did a segment on it. they basically discovered that you could build up suction and get stuck to the seat, but it was still entirely possible to pry yourself off and your insides stay intact. :o

Jeffrey (plethora of information) :D

actually, the guys/gals on Myth Busters on Discovery channel did a segment on it. they basically discovered that you could build up suction and get stuck to the seat, but it was still entirely possible to pry yourself off and your insides stay intact. :o

Jeffrey (plethora of information)

Are you the Cliff Clavin of CruiseCritics?:D That is interesting.

Now, about those shoes. The DH says that I am a three toes hillbillie(originally from VA) so that could be upsettin for fellow cruisers to see:p

I truly don't believe there is any "danger" at all.

As I hear it told, the pleasure derived is so exhilerating that that no one ever wants to leave the throne.So much time was spent in this "activity" before the signs were posted that both bar and spa revenues plummeted.

And while no one was in fact injured, there were problems with with genital jewelry clogging up the sewerage system.

This truly is one of the" Celebrity Secrets They Don't Tell You."

"Genital Jewelry" what a lovely phrase. It has a certain ring to it.lol

I was sitting on the john one day when I thought "let me flush despite the sign warning me not to" then it was terrible! it took hours for them to pry me loose from the seat!

At first I thought it was mildly embarassing but I had NO idea how bad it was going to get...

Who wants to supply the next line?

Happy Travels

Cindy

Archived