First winter cruise

bayou cruiser

in December. What to wear? Do people wear their summer attire?

What is your destination? The Caribbean is warm all year

round so yes, during the day you will see shorts, t-s, skirts,

bathing suits, sandals, etc.

The Mexican Riveria is also warm in the winter months.

Dress/pack according to the climate you will be in on the cruise, nto the season/climate for home at that same time. But don't forget to pack a jacket and long pants to wear when you come back. Nothing worse than flying in from the tropics in shorts to arrive in a snow storm!

I'm also cruising this winter, so this thread caught my eye. I'm going to be packing summer attire for our cruise, with a cardigan and a few wraps should it get chilly in the evenings. The only dilemma I'm having is embarkation day....the ship leaves from NYC, so it will be cold and I have no clue what to wear! We are traveling on HAL for the first time, so I have no idea what will work since you tend to have dinner that eve in the same clothes.

Might I make a suggestion? I always pack my first night's dinner

outfit in my carry on.

Especially if you are traveling all day, I know I always want

to take a shower and put on clean clothes before dinner.

I was on HAL once and first night can still be casual...A pair

of slacks, or skirt with a pretty top. Easy to pack and

just feels better to me rather than eating dinner in the same

clothes I have been in all day long.

Again, just a suggestion for you:)

Enjoy your cruise:)

Lois's plan for packing an outfit in a carry-on for the first night is good. We like to carry on only the essentials on board, though, so I don't usually do that.

If possible we fly in a day early, since that gives a cushion in case of flight delays; when we do that of course it's easy to just wear what you want for boarding.

We're from Nebr., (cold in winter) so if we have to fly in the same day I try to wear something that would work for dinner if necessary. Either a pair of khakis and a short-sleeved top or black slacks and top. We leave our winter coats in the car (we have to leave our car in long-term parking) and just wear a light jacket or sweater on the plane. We only have to be in the cold for a minute or less while getting luggage on or off the shuttle. When we get back to Omaha, my husband rides the shuttle out to pick up the car while I collect the luggage. That way we don't have to drag heavy coats on the cruise.

That said, so far, in about 12 cruises, we've never had our luggage be so late that we couldn't change clothes (knock wood!) for dinner if we wanted. Usually it's there pretty quickly. It can be nice to have a swimsuit or pair of shorts along if you plan on boarding early and it happens to be pretty warm at the port. (Not always the case in Florida).

We always see some people, usually guys, wearing shorts off the plane and into the terminal in Omaha who have obviously been cruising. BRRR.

Might I make a suggestion? I always pack my first night's dinner

outfit in my carry on.

Especially if you are traveling all day, I know I always want

to take a shower and put on clean clothes before dinner.

I was on HAL once and first night can still be casual...A pair

of slacks, or skirt with a pretty top. Easy to pack and

just feels better to me rather than eating dinner in the same

clothes I have been in all day long.

Again, just a suggestion for you:)

Enjoy your cruise:)

Yup...I'd agree with that. After being out in the sun and heat all day, it was nice to change into a clean outfit and different shoes. Even though I hadn't flown in that day (went a couple days early), I still felt kind of grungy by the time dinner came around.

We came from Iowa to Florida in January and brought all warm weather clothes, except for the jeans and jackets we wore on the plane. The only day I wished I'd had a sweatshirt was the last sea day when we got a bit of a cold snap due to a storm in the gulf of mexico. Dad dropped us off at the airport so we didn't bring winter coats or anything with us (only had to go from the house to the car and the car to the airport door).

Archived