Has anyone stayed in one of those old hotels in Venice

stuNYC

My DW and I are going on a 12 day cruise on the Legend which stops overnight in Venice. I have seen these wonderful old hotels on the grand canal and wonder whether it foolish to leave the ship and stay overnight in one.

Alternatively, I could go to a restaurant in one. It is my 30th anniversary and I am trying to do something romantic (besides taking a gondola ride.

My wife is in a wheelchair and as it is she won't see much of the real Venice.

Am I being silly. I alread priced some of them and they are over $500 if you can find a hotel that has a room available on the date that we will be in port.

Creating lifetime memories is never foolish...I applaud you. That said, if it were me I'd opt for the dinner/gondola ride and sleep in the bed I'd already paid for...especially for an extra $500 that I'd personally prefer to use on excursions/shopping etc...but everyone is different. I like your style though. :)

Venice isn't very wheelchair friendly, but you can take the #1 water bus all around the canal and get on and off. Some bridges have a wheelchair lift but you will need to get the key for it ahead of time. The bridges aren't too steep so it would not be too hard to push the chair over them. The old hotels I believe you will find have no elevators and there are no rooms on the main floor. They call the 2nd floor the 1st floor.

We stopped at a waterfront restaurant to sit and watch the crowds go by and there was a $5.00 charge for half a cup of coffee. Go to St Marks Square and take in the ambience of it all, it's a magical place. :D

:) What a sweetie! I am sure your DW will be happy with whatever you decide, but I have to go with the majority here. I have never been to Venice but my grandparents went a couple years back for their 50th anniversary. My grandma was so looking forward to the hotel there and she was pretty disappointed, she thought it was kinda "dumpy" and way expensive! I love the idea of a gondola ride and a romantic dinner though. Good luck, and have fun!

I've been to Venice (and stayed there) a few times...but usually pre-or post cruise or on a land trip...never on an "overnight" from a cruise...

I wouldn't waste the money on the room...

However nice the hotels look, they are still just hotels (and yes, some have no elevators)...

You could take that money and buy a REALLY nice dinner...and use the rest for some other special moments on other stops...

Nice thought though...

We were in Venice a year ago this past April and stayed in a lovely old hotel called the Hotel Metropole. You could look it up on trip advisor for references. We had a huge room with antiques and breakfast the next morning. It was wonderful. I say go for it!

If I understand your post your ship is in port over night and you are considering staying in a hotel. I would not do this for the obvious thought of the amount of money a room that you don't need costs. There are some very nice restaurants that can easily suck up the price of a room and I would blow my money on a great dinner and a great wine. Venice's neighboring city of Verona is the home of Amarone which is an amazing red wine in which the grapes are basically allowed to sit on racks and they become very sugar rich and reduced in size which makes for a very amazing wine. Get a nice bottle with a nice dinner and really remember something of the area. A hotel room is a hotel room. There are some very nice hotels, but I would imagine most of them would give you a tour if you stopped and asked.

jc

The last time I stayed in a hotel in Venice they neglected to tell us that they had water "troubles". No, it turned out that they were not really troubles but they would periodically shut the water off for whatever reason. You could go in to take a shower and then try to shave only to find out that the water was off. Flushing the toilet was hit or miss, etc.

If my choice was a night aboard the already paid for Legend or an extra cost Venice hotel...... no contest.

I love Venice, but I wouldn't spend the money on a hotel if I were on an overnight stop on a cruise ship. I would do what JC advised - find a nice restaurant and have dinner there with a great bottle of wine. I wouldn't normally advocate a gondola over the No. 1 vaporetto, but given your wife's mobility issues, I think the gondola, although far pricier, would be the better choice - the vaporetto is also a commuter vehicle, and can get very, very crowded. Also, the best viewing is at the bow of the boat, and she won't be able to get up there in a wheelchair. You might also see if you can negotiate a tour of the Canal in a water taxi - again, it will be expensive, but more comfortable for her

I would go to the Danieli Hotel just for a look around and a cocktail, then proceed down the street (you'll go by the Metropole, as I recall) until you see someplace that looks interesting for dinner. You might also check the Eyewitness Guide to Venice (a book) - they have some nice recommendations for places to eat, too.

Enjoy!

Archived