Online TA booked wrong sail date

Back in August I booked a cabin for 3 people on Royal Caribb 3 day to Mexico, Nov. 10-13. All paid for and I have the confirmation from the online TA. The e-tickets (or whatever you call them) indicate a Nov. 13 sailing. Called TA and they tell me they will TRY to get us on board but no guarantee since the ship is sold out for the Nov. 10 sailing. We arranged this will 3 other families (who used a different online TA) and will be heartbroken if we can't get on board. So I guess I'm now waiting for people to cancel so we can get a cabin. TA said they would refund the $ if they can't get us a cabin and I said that was UNACCEPTABLE since we're going with others.

Ready to have big hissy fit here. Any advice?

You should have just booked directly with RCI! And, I would never use an online service--if I was going to use a TA, it would be at a Travel agency where I could walk in and see who I'm dealing with! Damn computer age!

Good luck with getting onboard--if they can't, at least you will get you $$ back!

That's why we use a TA we can see face to face! Our thought is that they have a lot more influence over the cruisline than one individual could have plus they have to look us in the eye if they make a mistake!

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.

cusyl,

I didn't overlook anything. The date on the orginal email confirmation was the correct sail date - Nov. 10. I have the printed copy. They sent me this back in August when I booked and paid for the cruise. TA admits to mistake (can't tell if it's them or RC who made the goof). Docs from RC say Nov. 13. Other than demanding a conference call with TA (a huge organization - 23 years in business) and RC, plus sending letters, and emails, I don't know what else to do. Hope that one of the 2744 people booked on our sail date gets the flu and cancels? How likely is that?

If I understand this correctly you have a confirmation for the correct date? If yes then I would get on the phone ASAP and talk to a supervisor. You have a paid confirmation for the correct date and they have to be held responsible. I hope it works out for you.

Sue

You probably would have known something was amis if you tried to fill out your on line docs and were not able to for the date you expected to cruise. If the ship is sold out as of now, you may have to get used to the idea of not going. The TA should be going all out to get you a cabin though if there is a cancellation.

Thank you, everyone. I am going to request a 3 way conference call between the TA (who admits to a goof) RC. I am also going to fax a copy of my confirmation to RC. The legal language on this confirmation is pretty clear and firm. Things like "not subject to any modification, waiver, or addition..." and "no oral understandings, statements, contrary or inconsistent with this confirmation exist." So I think I have them by the ****s but still, if there is no room, there's no room. I did just now receive an email from the CEO of the TA apologizing and saying he'll work on resolving the matter.

Let me ask this, though. Has anyone ever heard of situations in which a cruise line (airlines, too) have overbooked and then offered passengers perks if they re-scheduled thereby making room for everyone? I know I have, and am wondering if this still happens.

The online TA is governed by the laws in Texas. Should I look into legal recourse if they can't get us on board?

Thank you, everyone. I am going to request a 3 way conference call between the TA (who admits to a goof) RC. I am also going to fax a copy of my confirmation to RC. The legal language on this confirmation is pretty clear and firm. Things like "not subject to any modification, waiver, or addition..." and "no oral understandings, statements, contrary or inconsistent with this confirmation exist." So I think I have them by the ****s but still, if there is no room, there's no room. I did just now receive an email from the CEO of the TA apologizing and saying he'll work on resolving the matter.

Let me ask this, though. Has anyone ever heard of situations in which a cruise line (airlines, too) have overbooked and then offered passengers perks if they re-scheduled thereby making room for everyone? I know I have, and am wondering if this still happens.

The online TA is governed by the laws in Texas. Should I look into legal recourse if they can't get us on board?

Legal recourse? You'd pay a lawyer more than the actual cost of the cruise which you are getting back?

I know they still do it for airlines but have never heard of it doing it on a cruiseline. I think it is a little different as most likely in the case of an airline that there is another flight in an hour or two, not so in the case of a cruise ship. Though I would suggest listening to them as they may give you addtional perks/incentives because of the problems.

Cruisinfanatic,

Yeah, I know. I'm not actually going to hire a lawyer. I'm just so steamed right now, I can hardly think straight. It's not the money - even if they gave me double the money back, that's not good enough. This little trip was a big deal to us - four families re-arranging work schedules, taking the kids out of school (only a day, but hey!), everything that everyone does when going on vacation. The three other families are all paid and it's way passed the cancel date so they'll go without us, of course. It's just such a drag. I thought I'd post on this board to see if it happened to anyone else and what they did. Just looking for the ammunition to make the TA move heaven and earth to find us that cancellation the second it opens up.

Thanks! Wish me luck.

SueL,

I had a friend who booked a cruise over 10 years ago to the Caribb. on Princess. she got a phone call two weeks before sail date saying cruise was overbooked and offered her big perks to sail at a later time. she didn't do it but passengers did and this made room for all.

SueL,

I had a friend who booked a cruise over 10 years ago to the Caribb. on Princess. she got a phone call two weeks before sail date saying cruise was overbooked and offered her big perks to sail at a later time. she didn't do it but passengers did and this made room for all.

Wow, I had never heard of this. Maybe they can do something like this for you. I know on our cruise last month they did win a suite bingo, maybe you can get that room. LOL That would be nice.

Do you live near the cruise port? If so, I'd be sure to be there on the sail date and that the TA and RCI know this is what you will be doing. And they should agree that you can be there and if anyone hasn't shown up by 30 minutes prior to cruise time that their room is now your room. If it's a better room - it should be a free upgrade. If it's a cheaper room, you get the difference back.

I strongly believe that there is always someone who misses the ship at departure for one reason or another. I don't know this for a fact but there are enough people who schedule flights for the sale date that there must be enough people who miss the ship due to flight delays.

If you must fly to the cruise port, you can only hope that someone cancels for some reason. This must happen quit often, too. On ships this size, someone surely gets very ill, or has a death in the family or something.

If I were you I would call both the TA and RCI daily and inquire about room availability. Don't tell them who you are, just ask for a room. And check on line at least once daily - more often if you can.

I was on standby for a better room once and no one called me. I saw it myself on line, put it on hold, called RCI and told them that was the room I wanted and they released my hold and I got the room. Waiting on someone to call you when there is an opening is like waiting for nothing. I doubt they will call.

We have had that happen with NCL and Princess. They make some nice offers when it happens.

Mama,

Thanks. Rest assured I will be on these people like white on rice. They picked the wrong woman to mess with. I am five hours away from the cruise port but I don't know. Would they actually let us on board if someone bails - with new security and all that? I will look in to this, though.

Thanks all! Any more advice on dealing with these idiots?

Have your tried registering online? Do the set sail info thing using the booking number the TA gave you for the Nov 10th cruise. Who knows it might just go through and if it does, print the set sail and take that with you to the terminal. Just remember this is not the fault of Royal Caribbean, as you already said, the TA has admitted the error.

Good Luck !

Annieeee

Whether you get on the sailing you want or not (and I hope you get what you want), the TA owes you BIG TIME!!! In either event, they should refund your money and send you on the three day cruise FOR FREE. I really don't think that's too much to ask for all the aggravation you've gone through. Good luck.

Mommabean was exactly right! Don't play shoulda woulda coulda. What's done is done. Now go out there and be proactive. You never know, this may be a blessing in disguise. There may be a suite in your future. Best of luck! (and stay positive)

Several years ago, we were booked for a 7 day cruise on the Century in an outside cabin. They overbooked the sailing. We got a call from our TA saying they were looking for passengers to change to another ship. We were offered Grand Suites on two different RCCL ships at no extra charge. We ended up on the Enchantment, which was doing 7 day cruises at that time. It doesn't help you out as far as being able to be with your friends, but maybe the vacation can still be salvaged by changing to another ship. If there is any additional cost, the TA might cover it. After all, it was their mistake.

I know they still do it for airlines but have never heard of it doing it on a cruiseline. I think it is a little different as most likely in the case of an airline that there is another flight in an hour or two, not so in the case of a cruise ship. Though I would suggest listening to them as they may give you addtional perks/incentives because of the problems.

Sue, it happens all the time.

Mama,

Thanks. Rest assured I will be on these people like white on rice. They picked the wrong woman to mess with. I am five hours away from the cruise port but I don't know. Would they actually let us on board if someone bails - with new security and all that? I will look in to this, though.

Thanks all! Any more advice on dealing with these idiots?

Your original post indicated the TA made the mistake......TA is the idiot......RCL is not at fault if they did what your TA requested. Raising a stink at the port or with RCL won't go far. You need to get your TA to make amends......and if RCL finds space great.....but I would not count on it since they undoubtedly have a wait list of their own that you are not on.

Your battle appears to be with the TA....good luck getting this resolved....;)

Besides filling out the online set sail pass, you should always log-in to the RCI website and add the reservation from your ta to "your cruises", then you will always now that the cruise line has the same info as your ta. Then you can also add your excursions etc..

One more thought, the cruise on the following weekend, 11/17, has several superior ocean view cabins left. If your friends can change their date, I would try to get the TA to comp or reduce all your cabins!

Good Luck!

Sue, it happens all the time.

I am learning that, but I originally misunderstood the poster, who I thought was asking if on the day of embarkation, when you showed up at port, they would ask you to switch sailings. I was not thinking of a call a week or two before. It has been a long weekend! LOL :D

Archived