A little summary about Binoculars

qiangf2

We took 2 pairs but generally found that with the camera, video we only shlepped one pair with us as we had enought o keep track of.

I found a pair of Carson 10X50 for $40.00 and we were thrilled with them, this is the first time I actually enjoyed using binoculars and Alaska was amazing!!!!

Can I assume that monoculars work the same way?? I have problems focusing my eyes with binocs and it was suggested to try a mono. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

For most people, left and right eyes have different vision and focus length. That's why all the binoculars have diopter on the right eyepiece. Basically, you need to dial the main focus knob in the middle to make your left eye focussed, then adjust right eyepiece diopter to focus your right eye. Hope that will help.

How do you know it is sapphire color coated? I saw nothing about color in the description.

(1) from the picture shown on the website; (2) manufacturer will not put emerald coating for binoculars at this price range. Otherwise, Bushnell's H2O line will carnibilize its higher price range lines, like Legend, Discoverer. Instead, Ruby and Sapphire color are they normally use for this price range (sub $100 street, or MSRP sub $200), which is less expensive to make.

During our Alaska trip, we brought three different pairs and had a chance to use various loaner binoculars. After my in-field experience, my recommendation is to buy a GOOD pair of binoculars, because when you are whale watching or looking at eagles and bears from afar, a good pair of binoculars is important and you can definitely tell the difference! My $250 Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 binoculars were so clear, sharp and bright that my "cheapo" and all the loaner binoculars were dark and fuzzy in comparison.

Please ask yourself: If you going to buy and pack heavy binoculars, isn't your goal to help you see things from afar clearly? We were very happy with the Nikon Monarch ATBs and only regret not spending the extra money for another good pair of binoculars. From my research and experience, one does not need to spend $1,500 to $1,800 for Zeiss's, but I would also never consider $10 Walmart or $25 Bushnells with inferior optics--for under $300, you get exactly what you pay for. IMO, the $250 Nikon Monarch ATBs were the perfect value binocular for Alaska: user-friendly, waterproof, medium-weight, and (most importantly) excellent optics!

Any suggestions on where to buy those?
If you have done your homework (i.e. know what you want and what a good price would be) and some time/patience, eBay is an excellent place to buy. As only an example, my Nikons cost about $300 delivered on Amazon or at Walmart, but cost only $255 delivered on eBay. Good luck!

Just like Nikon and Leupold, Brunton does make decent optics. I am actually quite impressed with its performance during my recent trip to REI store. Again, Eterna model starts from $400+, which is still quite expensive for the most of us. If one can afford it, go for it. But I won't recommend this to Cheryl to ditch her 4 $10 binos and then spend $1600+ for 4 of these.. :)

I bought a refurbished pair from the website for, I think, $225. If you have time, keep an eye on the website. A deal may come up.

If not, they offer the Echo for a more reasonable price. If you don't want the full size, they sell a compact 10x25 for $99. Here are the specs on the full size:

Echo Full Size Binoculars

BaK-4 prism glass

Emerald Fire full multi-coating

Twist-up eye relief system (eyeglass compatible)

Waterproof/fogproof

Nitrogen filled

Polymer frame w/ ergonomic body armor

Includes lens covers, neck strap, and carrying case

Five-year warranty

ECHO1042 10X42

MSRP: $259

Camo MSRP: $299

5.7”x5”x2.2”

23 oz

8 ft. Close focus

4.2mm Exit pupil

16mm Long eye relief

315 ft. Field of view @ 1000 yds

Tripod/monopod compatible

We had binoculars with us, but rarely used them. With the cameras, jackets, etc, it was just one more heavy thing to lug along.

We did use them on the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali and the bus ride up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse, usually when we stopped. (you can get motion sickness pretty quickly using them when you are moving!) The other excursions were pretty wet, so everything had to be kept in a backpack or bag for most of the trip. It was hard to get stuff out and keep it dry. After a few days, we gave up with the binoculars.

... The other excursions were pretty wet, so everything had to be kept in a backpack or bag for most of the trip. It was hard to get stuff out and keep it dry. After a few days, we gave up with the binoculars.
This is why you really need waterproof binoculars for outdoor and/or marine use, especially a place like Alaska. For us, it rained 13 out of the 13 days!

Qiangf2,

Well as you can see it will be awhile b4 I go to Alaska.

Surprise for my DH. SHHHHHHH!

Anyway I do wear glasses, so when you do your search out there for some of the good/cheap and lightweight binoculars could you also please keep me in mind and let me know your suggestion on the ones I should get me?

I guess the same ones that work for me will be okay for my husband or should I buy 2 different ones? Sorry I don't know a thing about binoculars and you seem to be THE PERSON to help me out.

Looking forward to your discoveries! :)

Thanks, have a great day and keep smiling! CJ :) :)

Qiangf2,

Well as you can see it will be awhile b4 I go to Alaska.

Surprise for my DH. SHHHHHHH!

Anyway I do wear glasses, so when you do your search out there for some of the good/cheap and lightweight binoculars could you also please keep me in mind and let me know your suggestion on the ones I should get me?

I guess the same ones that work for me will be okay for my husband or should I buy 2 different ones? Sorry I don't know a thing about binoculars and you seem to be THE PERSON to help me out.

Looking forward to your discoveries! :)

Thanks, have a great day and keep smiling! CJ :) :)

CJ and everyone, thanks for the positive responses. I just bought two more binos yesterday. I am planning to do do a lot of bird watching over the next few weeks (in the rain:eek: ) during the weekends so I can test out those binoculars.. will post my findings as soon as I am done, (or as soon as I know what I am talking about.. :))

I'm planning to buy a pair of binoculars for my Dad for Christmas. I was hoping to spend around one hundred dollars.

Just starting to do my research. Does anyone have a recommendation in that range. I'm not sure if he will use them for much other than the cruise to Alaska.

I'm planning to buy a pair of binoculars for my Dad for Christmas. I was hoping to spend around one hundred dollars.

Just starting to do my research. Does anyone have a recommendation in that range. I'm not sure if he will use them for much other than the cruise to Alaska.

Hello Diego,

I just order the Nikon Action EX Extreme 10x50 Waterproof & Fogproof binoculars today for our June 2007 trip to Alaska. They were $139 at Buydig.com with free standard shipping. These are not the least expensive pair but looked like a good value with all things considered. Good luck in your search.

We're looking to buy two pairs of binoculars. One pair that were recommended in the Wall Street Journal are the Bushnell Excursion 8X42 available at www.opticsplanet.com for about $156. Are these good binoculars? I'm concerned that if I buy these big binoculars, I will end up not using them because they will be too much to carry around.

The second pair that we are researching will be a birthday gift to our travelling companions. So we're in the $75-$85 price range. We've been looking on-line at the Nikon Travelite V 8X25 and the Bushnell Excursion 8X28. Giangf2, which one of the two would you recommend? In this price range would you have a better suggestion?

If the Bushnell Excursion 8X42 gets such great reviews, is that an indication that the Excursion 8X28 (compact) will also excell over other compacts?

I'm also considering the Celestron Outland LX 8X42 available at Optics Planet for $105. The Wall Street Journal rates them as their best value. However, it's the Celestron lifetime no-fault warranty that really interests me. I haven't been able to find either the Bushnell Excursion series or the Celestron model in any of our local stores. I have tried some other brands and I can see a big difference between the standard and compact size binoculars.

giangf2, are you still out there? Any news to report? I'm getting ready to make my purchase. I'd love to hear your comments.

I'm an infrequent poster here, but I will jump in on this. I have a nice set of leupold binoculars that I use for hunting, but for knocking around I bought a couple of different Celestron Up-Close models. One one of the day cruises out of Juneau they had several different brands out for folks to use, and by far the Celectron's were the best. They are good quality, not great, but they are cheap, so if they do break or you leave them somewhere you don't feel bad about it. I have a pair of 10x50's that I keep under the seat of my truck, and a pair of 12x50's that I have in the office. I have had them both a couple of years and they work well. Neither pair cost over $45 (including $10 shipping) through the internet. They are available in a lot of places, but the place I bought mine was B&H photo.

They are as good or better than any $100 pair you will find, at less than half the price.

Scott

I always bring our bins on cruises. Trouble is not everyone does, so of course fellow pax on the open decks are always asking to borrow them "for a peek"...and of course being the sweet people we are, we offer them up.

Nice to be nice...but there goes my unlimited viewing.

Now I just keep them in the cabin to use on the balcony, and of course taking them with us on self guided tours...

I am sooooo naughty!

Cheers! :)

I'm also looking to buy a pair for my father-in-law to bring along on our Alaska cruise. We have finally settled on the Bushnell H2O 8x42's from opticsplanet.net for a cost of $75 plus free shipping. We finally settled on this pair because of the compact size, lighter weight and they are water proof.

I previously purchased the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50s that bayview97 mentioned. My husband will be using them on our boat and will suit his purposes perfectly, but they will be much to big and heavy to shlep around in Alaska. I'd go with the light weight H2O's.

Archived