Talkeetna flightseeing

RSF Cruiser

I just made reservations for flightseeing for Mt McKinley, and the person I talked to at Talkeetna Air definitely recommended the Grand Denali Tour with a glacier landing instead of the McKinley Summit flight. She said we would get more "up close and personal" with the mountain.

For those of you who have taken these flights, which do you recommend: Summit Flight or Grand Denali? And why?

Thanks...

Whichever you choose, you might want to purchase the Toursaver book to save up to $250 on the 2nd person's flight: http://www.toursaver.com/alaskatraveltour.php?id=105&travel=Talkeetna-Aero-Services

In the past, people have been able to pay the price difference between the 75-minute tour and the more expensive tours when using the Toursaver coupon.

Whichever you choose, you might want to purchase the Toursaver book to save up to $250 on the 2nd person's flight: http://www.toursaver.com/alaskatraveltour.php?id=105&travel=Talkeetna-Aero-Services

In the past, people have been able to pay the price difference between the 75-minute tour and the more expensive tours when using the Toursaver coupon.

thanks - I didn't mention it, but I will be using the toursaver coupon.

Just trying to decide if I want to stick with the decision to do the Grand Denali instead of the Summit flight.

We used Talkeetna Air Taxi with the 2 for 1 coupon with the glacier landing. The only time you can go is 7:00 pm but it was still just as daylight as at noon. It's a very good bargain but it would have been worth the whole price.

We LOVED it and the glacier landing was an awesome experience. I'm glad we made that choice.

WHO are you calling, Talkeetna Air Taxi or Talkeetna Aero??? Talkeetna Air

Taxi, runs NO summit trips and sub contracts all of their bookings with Talkeetna Aero.

I have been on both flights many times, my preference is always the summit flights. Nothing beats looking right down on the top of McKinley. :)

WHO are you calling, Talkeetna Air Taxi or Talkeetna Aero??? Talkeetna Air

Taxi, runs NO summit trips and sub contracts all of their bookings with Talkeetna Aero.

I have been on both flights many times, my preference is always the summit flights. Nothing beats looking right down on the top of McKinley. :)

I made reservations with Talkeetne Air Taxi with the Toursaver coupon. Their web site shows four different tours, one being a summit flight. Does it make any difference if they subcontract?

The web site info is pretty clear I'll be on a narrated tour, and there are four tours to choose from. The woman I spoke with said most people prefer the Grand Denali Tour with a glacier landing since you get closer to the mountain and see more peaks - you fly between Mt Foraker and Mt Hunter and then circle Mt McKinley. The Summit tour uses oxygen (I don't think that's a problem for us) and people with ear problems have trouble. Plus, there's no option for a glacier landing on the Summit flight.

We've done a glacier landing on the Juneau Icefield, but she said the glacier landing in Denali is even more spectacular. Do you agree?

Here's the contact info from my reservation:

Talkeetna Air Taxi

PO Box 73 - Talkeetna AK 99676 USA

(907)733-2218 or Toll Free: (800)533-2219

E-mail: info@talkeetnaair.com

WEB: http://www.talkeetnaair.com

I made reservations with Talkeetne Air Taxi with the Toursaver coupon. Their web site shows four different tours, one being a summit flight. Does it make any difference if they subcontract?

The web site info is pretty clear I'll be on a narrated tour, and there are four tours to choose from. The woman I spoke with said most people prefer the Grand Denali Tour with a glacier landing since you get closer to the mountain and see more peaks - you fly between Mt Foraker and Mt Hunter and then circle Mt McKinley. The Summit tour uses oxygen (I don't think that's a problem for us) and people with ear problems have trouble. Plus, there's no option for a glacier landing on the Summit flight.

We've done a glacier landing on the Juneau Icefield, but she said the glacier landing in Denali is even more spectacular. Do you agree?

Here's the contact info from my reservation:

Talkeetna Air Taxi

PO Box 73 - Talkeetna AK 99676 USA

(907)733-2218 or Toll Free: (800)533-2219

E-mail: info@talkeetnaair.com

WEB: http://www.talkeetnaair.com

I've done both these flights, my opinion only, above. Summit flights are always my preference. :) Go with YOUR preferences.

I did glacier landing flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi in 2004 leaving at 7:00 pm and had a great trip. Because I am in to photography I really enjoyed being able to get out of the plane on the glacier to take photos. You can see pictures on my photo website, click on the Alaska album and enjoy. :D

I did glacier landing flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi in 2004 leaving at 7:00 pm and had a great trip. Because I am in to photography I really enjoyed being able to get out of the plane on the glacier to take photos. You can see pictures on my photo website, click on the Alaska album and enjoy. :D

Thanks. The photos are great. I love looking at and taking pictures, so this trip will be terrific.

We've made reservations at the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge - looks like that's where you stayed, too. I sure hope the mountain is out when we are there, but I know that's a big maybe in July.

Our plan is to get to Talkeetna sometime in the late afternoon, do the 7:00 PM Grand Denali Flight, and then leave the next day - no rush since we'll be heading back to Anchorage and taking a flight to Barrow the following day. So, if the weather is bad for the 7:00 PM flight the day we arrive, we'll be able to stay and hopefully do the flight the next day.

Archived