Table size?

Muushka

We are new to Celebrity. Just wondering what other experienced X cruisers choose as their table size? We are not anti-social and enjoy meeting new people, so we selected 6, but wonder if we should have gone larger or smaller? What size do you choose?

We are 2 adults. Thanks!

When we are cruising alone we always request a table for 6. That gives you several different table partners to talk to. When we're crusing with another couple as we will be the next cruise, we request a table for the 4 of us. If you request a table for 4 with strangers you do run the risk that you won't hit it off and if the other couple dines in a different place one night, you're alone.

We are a group of 4 so we always request a large table of 8 or 10. We like meeting new people and talking about their experiences on past cruises. A great conversation starter is always "What did you do today in port?"

We always request to sit at a large table.

Table for 10.

We are a family of 4.

They always sit us with at least one other family with children of similar ages. Kids tend to not show up for dinner on an occasional night. (The kid's programs are so good)

So, with kids missing, there are empty spaces at the table.

A table for 8-10 is perfect for a couple or for a group of 4. We have found that inevitably there is a very obnoxious pax every time we have booked a table for 6. At first, we thought it a coincidnece, but it seems to happen every time. If the other couple feels the same, they begin to skip dinner or you have to draw straws so as not be seated next to the bad mannered pax. Don't get me wrong, there are wonderful table mates we have met and been friends for life and plan cruises with them even though they always seem to live across country....however, there is always the one or two that make us occasionally plan a cruise that has personal choice so we can eat all by ourselves. With a table for 8-10, the options of being seated next to someone you do not like is lessened.

A table for 8-10 is perfect for a couple or for a group of 4. We have found that inevitably there is a very obnoxious pax every time we have booked a table for 6. At first, we thought it a coincidnece, but it seems to happen every time. If the other couple feels the same, they begin to skip dinner or you have to draw straws so as not be seated next to the bad mannered pax. Don't get me wrong, there are wonderful table mates we have met and been friends for life and plan cruises with them even though they always seem to live across country....however, there is always the one or two that make us occasionally plan a cruise that has personal choice so we can eat all by ourselves. With a table for 8-10, the options of being seated next to someone you do not like is lessened.

When we cruise with another couple, we request a table for four. We have found that large tables make it a little difficult to converse with everyone, but it seems to work with some people. We like tables with six. We had a table one time with four, and our table mates were the snobbiest couple on board. At that time, we didn't know we could have asked for another table. So I would go for six.

We just got off of the Constellation, and we noticed during the meal that there was a table nearby for eight, but only one couple showed up every night. That would be a bummer for me.

Shay

I may be a bit of wet blanket here but we usually request a table for 6... we never get put at one...usually we are lumped to a 10..which we find is sometimes impossible to make conversation around even swapping places nightly. We have been near the restaurant quartet / whatever ....playing in our area too so that is another problem to overcome.

I actually wrote to Celebrity (UK) very recently after our Sept cruise(06) on Century because as usual we requested a table for 6 and turned up at dinner to find it was a table for 10, necessitating a visit to the restaurant maitre D for a new assignment.

I asked Celebrity UK why they seem to pay no attention to the table size requests we fill in on our forms..the reply stated this was only a guide line for the restaurant allocation... never a guarantee. Suggest if you get a table size you don't want , don't be afraid to ask for a new assignment.It's your holiday too!

We ask for a table for two but rarely get it. That being said, we have been very lucky in that we seem to get placed with nice people. I guess we worry about getting a table with obnoxious people, as has been the experience of others on here. Eight is the largest we have ever been placed at. I feel anything larger than that makes it very difficult to hear the others at the table.

When there are two of us and I am travelling with my SO, we request a table for two; when with friends we request a table that will accomodate our party.

When I travel solo or with a friend, I will request a large table.

Tables for two are at a premium and are difficult to get. That being said , on ten cruises alone with my husband, I have always been able to have a table for two as our holidays are our special time to be alone. Sometimes we have been the only ones at a large table. In general tables for two on Celebrity seem to be in less desirable parts of the dining room. (RCCL also) I have been happier with table location when we travel with the kids and request a table for 6.

We are a couple and we ask for a round 8 top...got it both cruises in great locations. The round table makes for slightly easier conversation and you can see everyones' face when conversing without too much turning. Not everyone makes it to the dining room every night but there are usually at least 6 total...not too bad.

Tables for two are at a premium and are difficult to get. That being said , on ten cruises alone with my husband, I have always been able to have a table for two as our holidays are our special time to be alone. Sometimes we have been the only ones at a large table. In general tables for two on Celebrity seem to be in less desirable parts of the dining room. .

Agreed but I have also been lucky and always had one when requested, even if it required a visit to the Maitre'D

I am hoping that Celebrity honors my request for a table for two. On our last Celebrity cruise we were at a round table for 8 which consisted of our friends that we were traveling with. I found it exhausting to try to hear conversations in what I thought was the noisiest part of the ship. I would hate to be at a long table for 10 trying to follow a conversation. The very worst is sitting at a table for 4 with quiet people who have nothing to say. Caviargal, do you suggest speaking with the maitred' after we board?

I am hoping that Celebrity honors my request for a table for two. On our last Celebrity cruise we were at a round table for 8 which consisted of our friends that we were traveling with. I found it exhausting to try to hear conversations in what I thought was the noisiest part of the ship. I would hate to be at a long table for 10 trying to follow a conversation. The very worst is sitting at a table for 4 with quiet people who have nothing to say. Caviargal, do you suggest speaking with the maitred' after we board?

Pisces11 ~

When you board the ship, you will get a schedule. The Maitred' will be available for perhaps a two hour time period, before you sail. Go down and see him and see what they have assigned you. If you need to make a change, and need to be on a waiting list for a specific table size, you will be early on the list.

I think 8 is ideal, but I would rather have ten than 6. If you are a party of two and you go for the 6-person table, there's a pretty good chance that the other 4 are together. That might be fine, but you might also feel left out if they decide to mostly talk among themselves.

Thank you, Boo's Mom, we will do that. I know we sound antisocial which we are definitely not. Did anyone else find the noise level in Summit's dining room really high? It could have been that several times we were going over rough seas. When we were sitting with our friends at the round table for 8, we switched chairs every night so we all could get to sit next to and hear another person talking.

Archived