Sky Grill Dinners

CruisinMatt

Hi all, I am interested in more information on the Sky Grill Dinners that Seabourn announced in late September. Has anyone experienced this yet? Are the tables set up on the same level as the whirlpools or up near the Sky Bar or both? If anyone has any reviews of this new dining option I'd love to hear about it! :)

Matt,

This is my understanding of the Sky Bar dinners, as we didn't experience any on the Ryder Cup Charter or the Crossing in Sept.

The tables are set around the Sky Bar....I believe tables for 4 and 6~~also I believe the small "cocktail tables" are set as well. I think I heard it's a set menu~~~~ and reservations are required.

Of course, Sky Bar Grill dinners require good weather.

I hope the dinners are offered in the Caribbean in December.

Others on our board will be able to give you more information.

MB

Sky bar dinners are fine for people who like grilled food. But sometimes setting up the tables interferes with for instance a sail away party! We found that rather disturbing. It should be one or the other. Also for people who like to linger somewhat longer around the sky bar, arranging the tables can be annoying.

That's an interesting observation/comment Seabourn-nail ...

DH and I love to linger over a cocktail or two during sail-away and of course at sunset. I suspect the mood might somewhat be broken with waitstaff scurrying around to prepare for dinner service.

The Sky Grill dinners are reservations only, and VERY limited (I think no more than 30?). On my last cruise a very large family group booked the Sky Grill dinner the first week, a large corporate group the 2nd week, and no Sky Grill dinner was offered the 3rd week, so my advice is to book it the MINUTE it is announced!

Host Dan

Are Sky Grill dinners held on multiple nights per 7-day cruise or only once? If they're held only once a week it seems like the "table movement" would not be a major annoyance.

I'm hoping on the 12/16 cruise a Sky Grill evening will be offered. I enjoy The Restaurant (just like BBird), but it would be nice to have dinner in "2" once and at the Sky Grill once as well - variety is the spice of life! Of course, there is no way I would miss the chef's gastronomic meal in The Restaurant on the last formal evening (or the first formal evening for that matter)!

Are Sky Grill dinners held on multiple nights per 7-day cruise or only once? If they're held only once a week it seems like the "table movement" would not be a major annoyance.

I'm hoping on the 12/16 cruise a Sky Grill evening will be offered. I enjoy The Restaurant (just like BBird), but it would be nice to have dinner in "2" once and at the Sky Grill once as well - variety is the spice of life! Of course, there is no way I would miss the chef's gastronomic meal in The Restaurant on the last formal evening (or the first formal evening for that matter)!

As far as I know, its only once a week on selected sailings.

Host Dan

On our recent SEabourn Legend Cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona (14th - 21st October, there was one opportunity to sample the Sky Grill Dinner. It was held whilst the vessel was at anchor in Cannes Bay and although the weather was calm and dry it was rather chilly.

On this occasion there were approx 3 tables for 4 and around 10 tables for twos. There were some tables under the awning of ther Sky Bar and the remainder around the walkway overlooking the jacuzzi deck below. In our opinion it was a very unprofessional event. The chairs were the plastic type and not covered (like Silversea) there were no bread plates and it was a very sparse choice. The service was good as was the wine service, but again in our opinion it was an effort on the part of the staff. You hepled yourself from a very small starters selection and this was followed by a steak/lobster meal cooked on the BBQ. There was only a small choice for dessert. It was definitely a weak link in an otherwise near perfect cruise.

Frankly, I don't think there is enough room for a proper meal service near and around the sky bar. I think they'd do better to set up on the level below near the jacuzzis, perhaps 10 or 15 tables where they set up for the deck barbecue. There's much more room both for passengers and servers. It shouldn't be that much of a problem to move the grill down there as well. That way people could stay as long as they like at the sky bar for sailaways or whatever, and it would be much more comfortable for those choosing this option, which I think is a great one.

Archived