Recipe for Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake for Thanksgiving again!! (merged)

pcur

I'm making this again for Thanksgiving, and hauled the recipe out this morning. Thought I'd post it for all of you. YUM!!!

By the way, you can get the spring pans at Target in a set of three.

Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 lb. Semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon dark rum

¾ cup heavy cream

¾ cup strong coffee

8 eggs

½ cup sugar

Additional whipped cream for topping

Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Butter a 10-inch mold (spring pan) and refrigerate.

Place chocolate, vanilla, run, and coffee in a double-boiler over 1-inch simmering water. Whisk until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are mixed. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and cream. Whip with an electric beater until pale in color. Add some of chocolate mixture, beating until incorporated.

Pour this into remaining chocolate mixture and gently fold until just combined.

Pour into prepared, chilled mold. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the mold. A aluminum foil “sleeve” around the pan keeps the boiling water from getting into the mixture.

Bake for one hour at 300 degrees. The middle of the cake should be firm when done.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight.

When ready to serve: Turn over onto a serving plate, release spring, and remove pan.

Garnish with whipped cream, berries and mint. Raspberry sauce or orange marmalade are good, too.

Since you have made it before is there any tricks or tips besides what is listed to make it.

I am in charge of dessert for Thanksgiving and want it to come out good. Have you ever tried making it two days ahead, we will be traveling the day before so I would have to make it on tuesday. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Could you use just water if you don't like coffee (I know it wouldn't taste the same but sounds like you need the liquid) Also rum extract instead of rum?? and could you use ramikins or custard cups instead of the 10" mold to have individual ones?? sounds sooo yummy thanks

Iwill sample the rum to make sure its of good quality, but how much do you think it will take. I was thinking at least 6 or 8 ounces.:D

At least that much. :p

Off topic...My in-laws live in Homosassa Springs in the summer. Unfortunately, the live right down the road from where Jessica Lunsford lived and was killed. :(

I'm making this again for Thanksgiving, and hauled the recipe out this morning. Thought I'd post it for all of you. YUM!!!

By the way, you can get the spring pans at Target in a set of three.

Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 lb. Semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon dark rum

¾ cup heavy cream

¾ cup strong coffee

8 eggs

½ cup sugar

Additional whipped cream for topping

Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Butter a 10-inch mold (spring pan) and refrigerate.

Place chocolate, vanilla, run, and coffee in a double-boiler over 1-inch simmering water. Whisk until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are mixed. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and cream. Whip with an electric beater until pale in color. Add some of chocolate mixture, beating until incorporated.

Pour this into remaining chocolate mixture and gently fold until just combined.

Pour into prepared, chilled mold. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the mold. A aluminum foil “sleeve” around the pan keeps the boiling water from getting into the mixture.

Bake for one hour at 300 degrees. The middle of the cake should be firm when done.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight.

When ready to serve: Turn over onto a serving plate, release spring, and remove pan.

Garnish with whipped cream, berries and mint. Raspberry sauce or orange marmalade are good, too.

Thank you for the recipe but I was just wondering if you knew if the coffee could be substituted with anything else? And if the sugar could be sugar twin? DH is diabetic and loves choc. but cannot have sugar! :mad: Thank you for your help! :p

As long as the rest of you are baking these things, please bake an extra one and send it to me......:rolleyes:

Please ship to me at:

SuperjerryW

P.O. Box 666

El Segundo, CA 90210

Thanks!!!!

That's quite a PO Box #! :eek:

Iwill sample the rum to make sure its of good quality, but how much do you think it will take. I was thinking at least 6 or 8 ounces.:D

I don't think we should rely on the judgement of only one person. There should be multiple people sampling the rum......:rolleyes:

aka- Chocolate chips;) But I think any good quality dark chocolate would work.

The chocolate chips melt a lot faster than the squares. Besides when you are sampling the chocolate it is easier with the chips than a whole square. :D

On second thought, we have rum and we have chocolate. Why waste time baking a cake......:D

Lets see someone refute this logic.......

Get the little chocolate cups, put the rum in it....saves time and you only need one hand.

Archived