Recipe for Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake for Thanksgiving again!! (merged)

pcur

Does this come out like a regular cake that you slice into pieces? I had heard such wonderful things about the flourless cake so I ordered it on the Rhapsody a few years ago and it was more like a pudding. Wasn't that great so I think they brought me the wrong dessert.

Thank you for the recipe but I was just wondering if you knew if the coffee could be substituted with anything else? And if the sugar could be sugar twin? DH is diabetic and loves choc. but cannot have sugar! :mad: Thank you for your help! :p

Try Stevia powder, sweeter that twin or splenda and easier to bake with.

I know I am going to try it.

Try Stevia powder, sweeter that twin or splenda and easier to bake with.

I know I am going to try it.

Barbara, where do I find Stevia powder? Can diabetics have this? Also, do you know of anything else I can substitute for the coffee?

Thank you

OK, catching up with the thread here:

Any sugar substitute would work fine, but just make sure to check the conversion to get the right flavor. Abridalmaven is correct with her suggestions.

The "morsels" are, yes, the darker and less sweet chocolate. Just the chocolate pieces are fine, too, but as someone said above, the chocolate chips/morsels melt faster.

Rum flavoring for the rum is fine, but yes, substitute the liquid.

I find very little of the coffee flavor in this, so if you want to eliminate the coffee because you think it will be a strong coffee flavor, don't worry. If it's the caffeine you're concerned about, then use decaf. Yes, it's brewed coffee, and quite frankly I go to Starbuck's and buy a cup of theirs (apologies to my youngest DS who is now a store manager for Peet's coffee; they don't have them here, sweetie!!:D ).

If there is another reason for not wanting the coffee, then substitute water, but you won't get the fab flavor of this dessert. It's the combo of the rum, chocolate, and coffee, and sweetner/sugar that does it.

Yes, two days ahead and chilling in the fridge is fine. Other baking containers are fine, but the problem is making sure the mixture is baked correctly, so if the containers are smaller, I would check the consistency. You want it firm in the middle BEFORE you take it out of the oven.

To the poster who had "pudding" on board ship: that's because they goofed. But, there really isn't any such thing as "goofing". I've had it not come out firm enough, too, and it makes (and looks) fantastic as a pudding. I put mine in really fancy champagne flutes.

Trick:

getting the bottom of the pan off without messing up the "cake". Sharp knife under the pan bottom. Turn it upside down, take the sides off the spring pan, and then try the bottom piece (which is now the top piece). If it won't come off, then a sharp knife.....and you get to eat the stuff that's stuck!! Usually, it comes off fine.

If you really have a problem, turn it over again and use the bottom of the spring pan as a serving platter. No problem!

I've tried this with a regular cake pan and it was not nearly as easy. Buy the spring pan.

It looks like a super firm, and slightly grainy, chocolate cheesecake. However, the texture and taste are nothing like any other dessert I've had. To me, this is simply the best!

Enjoy!

It almost tastes like fudge but not so heavy. The bad thing for me is the last 2 cruises [serenade & Mariner] it was served as a tiny pc. on a sampler plate! I also ask about it on the first night! Appetizers & desserts..ahhh...the joys of life on a ship...as many as you want!

Oh Peggy, thank you very much for posting this. I just love it onboard, and now I can do it also with my chocoholic husband who puts melted chocolate on French fries instead of ketchup, if he had his way.

This morning I had the plate of leftovers from last nights "treat". CFD stopped by after a fire nearby, as they know I have cinnamon coffee always ready. So fire truck in front of the house with Chief's SUV. One of them smelled the chocolate & like a 5 year old after cookies, found it in the fridge, so they all devoured it in under 5 minutes. So they took the recipe to make for tonite. They promised to drop off their version, since I know they never follow recipes. Hopefully the buzzer doesn't sound either!

I'm making this again for Thanksgiving, and hauled the recipe out this morning. Thought I'd post it for all of you. YUM!!!

By the way, you can get the spring pans at Target in a set of three.

Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 lb. Semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon dark rum

¾ cup heavy cream

¾ cup strong coffee

8 eggs

½ cup sugar

Additional whipped cream for topping

Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Butter a 10-inch mold (spring pan) and refrigerate.

Place chocolate, vanilla, run, and coffee in a double-boiler over 1-inch simmering water. Whisk until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are mixed. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and cream. Whip with an electric beater until pale in color. Add some of chocolate mixture, beating until incorporated.

Pour this into remaining chocolate mixture and gently fold until just combined.

Pour into prepared, chilled mold. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the mold. A aluminum foil “sleeve” around the pan keeps the boiling water from getting into the mixture.

Bake for one hour at 300 degrees. The middle of the cake should be firm when done.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight.

When ready to serve: Turn over onto a serving plate, release spring, and remove pan.

Garnish with whipped cream, berries and mint. Raspberry sauce or orange marmalade are good, too.

We love it too.. so much so I made a no-coffee or booze version for my son's 2nd birthday cake last weekend and it was wonderful. You have to make it with a houseful though because it's very rich and a little piece goes a long way!

Francesca, would you mind sharing your version's recipe?

Sure.. mine is from epicurious.com. I made it the night before and the morning we ate it I decorated it with sliced strawberries and it was just the right bit of fruit sweet to balance the chocolate decadance. And a bit went a long way... we got I think about 18 wedges out of it since it's so rich. And if you have a food processor, run the chocolate squares through a slicer blade as it broke it down just right to melt within seconds.

10282006%20family%20with%20cake.jpg

Cake

1 cup water

3/4 cup sugar

9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, diced

18 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped

6 large eggs

Ganache

1 cup heavy whipping cream

8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped

Lightly sweetened whipped cream

For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment round; butter parchment. Wrap 3 layers of heavy-duty foil around outside of pan, bringing foil to top of rim. Combine 1 cup water and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk sugar syrup into chocolate; cool slightly. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan.

Bake cake until center no longer moves when pan is gently shaken, about 50 minutes. Remove from water bath; transfer to rack. Cool completely in pan.

for ganache:

Bring whipping cream to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cake still in pan. Gently shake pan to distribute ganache evenly over top of cake. Refrigerate cake in pan until ganache is set, about 2 hours.

Do ahead: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.

Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake; release sides. Cut cake into wedges and serve with whipped cream.

I've been making a flourless chocolate cake for years - while similar, mine is a lot less labor intensive. Takes less than 10 minutes to throw together.

Put the following in one of those big pyrex mixing bowls:

1 lb. semisweet chocolate (chips or chopped up pieces - chips are easiest)

1 Cup water (can use 3/4 C water and 1/4 C rum if you want)

1 Cup sugar

1 lb. unsalted butter (that's 4 sticks)

1 tsp. instant coffee powder (optional - or use a little more if you want)

Microwave at 2 minute intervals, stirring in between, until all is melted.

Meanwhile, wisk together 8 eggs. Allow chocolate mixture to cool slightly, then add eggs.

Pour into 10" buttered (or sprayed with Pam) springform pan. If the bottom does not fit tightly, wrap it in foil first as the batter is very thin. Bake at 325 for about an hour. Cool and chill (although I once was in a rush and served it warm - they devoured it anyway).

I like to top it with cream whipped with a little Kahlua, but the squirt on kind works fine in a pinch.

I've been making a flourless chocolate cake for years - while similar, mine is a lot less labor intensive. Takes less than 10 minutes to throw together.

Put the following in one of those big pyrex mixing bowls:

1 lb. semisweet chocolate (chips or chopped up pieces - chips are easiest)

1 Cup water (can use 3/4 C water and 1/4 C rum if you want)

1 Cup sugar

1 lb. unsalted butter (that's 4 sticks)

1 tsp. instant coffee powder (optional - or use a little more if you want)

Microwave at 2 minute intervals, stirring in between, until all is melted.

Meanwhile, wisk together 8 eggs. Allow chocolate mixture to cool slightly, then add eggs.

Pour into 10" buttered (or sprayed with Pam) springform pan. If the bottom does not fit tightly, wrap it in foil first as the batter is very thin. Bake at 325 for about an hour. Cool and chill (although I once was in a rush and served it warm - they devoured it anyway).

I like to top it with cream whipped with a little Kahlua, but the squirt on kind works fine in a pinch.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to trying the recipe but had a question. Did the "official" recipe change at some point? While searching the forum I found another recipe that says it's from the cook book but it uses 1/4 cup coffee and 5 eggs instead with all the other ingredients being the same (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=196059&highlight=flourless).

If it didn't change which recipe is actually in the book?

Thanks!

:)

Archived