Sky suite versus Royal suite

judyush

Hi all

Have booked a sky suite on Sky deck for our TA next summer. It is a special occasion for us and was wondering if we might upgrade to a Royal suite. It will cost another £1200. Which I think is quite a lot. Do you think its worth paying the extra? Also Ive been told the balconies on sky deck are fabulous. How would a Royal suite balcony compare?

When one upgrades to an RS, I would think it is for gaining the extra cabin space and layout more than for the balcony.

But as far as a SS vs RS balcony goes: the Sky Deck SS have the largest amount of balcony space of any cabin on the ship--including RS and PS.

Although the RS balcony is not nearly as deep, it is a very wide balcony which makes the view from the suite nicer (wider). However the RS balcony will have a large overhang from the deck above it. This cuts virtually eliminates having direct sunlight on the balcony which is good and bad depending on your point of view. The overhang improves the privacy from prying eyes above your balcony and it provides shelter from rain. The Sky Deck SS are largely exposed to the sky and the deck above. About 1/3 of the balcony (the area adjacent to the cabin) is covered.

About 1/3 of the balcony (the area adjacent to the cabin) is covered.

I have photos of the overhang here and here. IMHO, if your priority is the balcony you want the Sky Suite on Sky Deck. I've never sailed in a RS, but like the idea of a wider view.

It's a difficult one this. As mahdnc says, the main attraction of the Royal Suite is the space. The separate bedroom and living room, the dining area, the larger bathroom and the walk in closet/dressing room (which is great). You also get a bigger TV and a multi disk CD hi fi, which I found very nice. There's another thing about the Royal Suite that appeals and that is the view from the living room itself. There is a very large expanse of glass and it is a really nice view if you don't want to venture out and just lounge around inside.

The biggest plus for the Sky Suite is the balcony. It is much more usable than the Royal Suite which is long and narrow and doesn't suffer that overhang. There are a few pictures of the Royal Suite in the picture link in my signature under "Cabin Photos". There aren't any of a SS on the Sky Deck as I stayed in one with the smaller balcony on deck 10, but the smaller Concierge cabin on deck 12 is there and that was better than the Royal Suite with that overhang.

Decisions, decisions. £1200 is a lot to pay for a Royal Suite, but it is a nice space and you probably have more of a chance of an invite to the Captains table for your special occasion, if that's your thing;)

Phil

We just got off of the Connie, and were in concierge class. We had a verandah, but nothing major.

When debarking the ship, our steward let us look into a suite, which was two doors down. We saw the verandah, and my first question was, what do you really need that large of a deck for? And my next thought was that, since it was totally covered, if it was a warm weather cruise, how would you get sun?

My point is, if you already have a large verandah, why do you want a larger one? I am asking out of curiosity, not trying to be smartmouthed. I can definitely see wanting the indoor space. But then again, I've seen the layouts for the really big suites, and I don't honestly know that dh and I would need that much room, unless maybe we were entertaining other friends/family that sailed with us. Or if it was a really long cruise.

Shay

HI JUDY,

You will love the Sky Suite...stay with it and then see if you can get a tour of a Royal Suite and maybe book the Royal Suite for your next cruise if you like it. The Sky Suite is totally enjoyable...I have spent time in Sky, Royal and Penthouse Suites...each is unique.:D

ROSS

Thanks everyone for your input. The thought of the seperate bedroom was quite appealing cos DH gets up at ridiculous hours to capture shots as land comes into view. However think I will stay with the sky suite. I want to be able to sit in the sun on my verandah and will not be able to do that because of the overhang in a Royal suite.

Archived