Legend 11/2006 Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

The Captain asked me to post this as he had received an email which indicated some confusion on how to access his website for his crossing photo album. First, go to the following link:

http://www.captain-ga.com

When his home page appears, scroll to the bottom of his photo album thumbnail pictures and click on “2” for page 2. When page 2 appears, click on the link to his wonderful crossing photos!

Second response to Host Dan, yes there was one dognapping. I and other passengers heard rumors that Joanne’s dog “Chops” was missing but we heard nothing after that and assumed it was just a baseless rumor. However, Thursday night during Mandy Muden’s final magic show, she made Chops reappear. Joanne and hubby are ecstatic!

The last two days were warm topping out at 80 degrees F under cloudy skies. Late afternoon it totally clouded over and stated to rain in the early evening and continuing off and on throughout the night

In Trivia, Geir’s Gang had phenomenal performance the last two days. On Wednesday we went from last to third place and Thursday we maintained our third place position but only 900 points out of first place. “The Flames” are currently in first place.

The Ryder Cup Tournament, however, is an entirely different matter. The rain delayed round on Wednesday went to the British. Thursday’s round was all about the swells of the Atlantic Ocean. These were the most challenging putting conditions I have ever encountered at sea. The British team’s Mervyn and daniete’s Brian rose to the challenge with three straight-in, holes-in-one. The American team could not rise to the occasion. The British team leads the series 4 to 1 and still has the cumulative lead of 504 to 442 points. Unless the American team orchestrates a major comeback, the Legend Ryder cup team will be just as bad as our PGA counterparts were at the last Ryder Cup.

The entertainment offerings on Wednesday night were movies under the stars and Name That Tune. The deck was packed with passengers in their padded chaise lounges watching The DaVinci Code.” The well-attended Name That Tune in The Club was fun.

Thursday morning, a Seabourn Moment occurred. New Seabourn passengers bmwlover told CeeJay11 that they wanted to be in the forward Jacuzzi, sipping champagne, when the Legend reaches the mid-point on the Atlantic crossing. CeJay11 told the Captain and he thought is was a good idea. The Captain arranged for chilled champagne to be delivered to the forward Jacuzzi, called bmwlover;s suite and told them when to be down there. At the appropriate time the Captain appeared and took a picture of bmwlover snuggling under the Jacuzzi’s bubbles sipping champagne and then ran up to the bridge to give a short blast form the ship’s horn at about 9:30 am signalling we had reached the midpoint of the Atlantic.

Thursday was formal and I was seated at the Chief Engineer’s hosted table. He is very nice man who lives in Thailand with his wife and twin boys.

After dinner, The Club was packed for Liar’s Club. The five panelists included the Captain, CD Eric, ACD Preston, magician Mandy Muden and guest lecturer Glenmore. They were so good at lying that, for three of the rounds, they fooled all the teams in the room! A grand time was had by all passengers who participated. The perfect ending to a wonderful day aboard lady Legend!

On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

I just received an email from CeeJay11. It appears a kitchen staff member went missing on Legend, and is not accounted for. The Legend is criss-crossing east, hoping to find this person. This is all I know at this point. The crew is beside themselves. This is a horrible turn of events.

Host Dan

Paul-will there be a major crew change when you arrive in FLL? If so, who will be the CD, ACD, etc.? Who is working the excursion/new bookings desk?

To the best of my knowledge, there will be no changes to the postions listed above. CD is Eric De Gray; ACDs are Jamilia Ajibade and Preston Coe both with only 6 weeks at Seabourn; Monika Ernst is Shore Excursions manager and Christopher Jack of New Zealand is the cruise sales consultant. Christopher told me that now the onboard sales consultants have direct access to the reservation system in Miami. This means that suite grades and suite assignemnts can be done real time onboard without going through Miami. Iconsider this a definite improvement.

I am sorry to say this is not a rumour. We spent yesterday searching for the lost crewmember and will be spending today up to sunset still searching. All the passengers are helping. Today we have a cargo ship also searching with us. We will probably be arriving in FLL a day late.

Please let us not have any speculation about what has happened or why. Please all help us with a prayer that the search produces a successful result. We all feel so upset and sorry for the crewmember's family and also for the Captain because we know how much he loves his crew.

We have just been informed by our TA that Seabourn have told them that our following cruise will be delayed departing by one day, ie, it will depart on Wednesday 22 instead of Tuesday 21. This is due to the search for the lost crew member. Seabourn have said that our itinerary will not be affected.

our thoughts are with the crew and passengers.

Roz

This is CeeJay 11 and Bldsld -

Correction to Host Dan's post - it is by no means clear what has happened to this crew member or how he went missing. They are still searching for him on the ship and at sea. We are still praying for his return. The Captain and crew have been extraordinary. You could not be with anyone better in a situation like this. We are very blessed. Fingers and toers crossed that there is a happy ending.

This is CeeJay 11 and Bldsld -

Correction to Host Dan's post - it is by no means clear what has happened to this crew member or how he went missing. They are still searching for him on the ship and at sea. We are still praying for his return. The Captain and crew have been extraordinary. You could not be with anyone better in a situation like this. We are very blessed. Fingers and toers crossed that there is a happy ending.

Thanks for the correction CeeJay and Bldsld. Keep us posted!

:(

Host Dan

Host Dan and others-Could you please stay on top of this story as well as its impact on the follow-up cruise. I have "non-internet savy" friends on that one and they have had difficulty obtaining info from Seabourn as to the effect of this event on their cruise. Truth is, Seabourn probably doesn't know yet how to proceed since the authorities will have to conduct an investigation when the ship arrives at FLL. Plus it's the weekend, TA offices are closed and the chaos of Thanksgiving week is about to begin. So CC might be the best source of info on all aspects of this sad situation.

Hello from the Spirit in Dubai!!! Have had a fabulous 16 days from Alexandria but the real point of this is that we heard aboard the Spirit that somebody had been taken off the Legend mid-Atlantic by helicopter. We have heard who it was but many of us that know her were worried that she must have been seriously ill for these steps to have been taken. Can you enlighten us on the Spirit? Do you have any news of the missing crew member? Please say hello to Kathryn and Brian (and to anybody else that remembers us from last November's crossing) from Shelagh and Larry.

Shelagh!

Please do post a trip report on your journey. I am doing that leg next year and having been to Dubai, can't wait. Of course, I can't wait for any of my Seabourn cruises!

Just as our joys on cruising bind us together, so do the sad times.

Best to you and Larry,

Jane

Hello from the Spirit in Dubai!!! Have had a fabulous 16 days from Alexandria but the real point of this is that we heard aboard the Spirit that somebody had been taken off the Legend mid-Atlantic by helicopter. We have heard who it was but many of us that know her were worried that she must have been seriously ill for these steps to have been taken. Can you enlighten us on the Spirit? Do you have any news of the missing crew member? Please say hello to Kathryn and Brian (and to anybody else that remembers us from last November's crossing) from Shelagh and Larry.
No one was airlifted from the Legend in mid-Atlantic. The only mdedical situation that I am aware of was about an hour after leaving Lanzarote, we had to return and a lady was taken off the ship an sent to the hospital via ambulance. I was told this was due to a heart attack. A passenger told me that she saw her being placed into the ambulance and she was siting up (possibly a good sign). I hope things turn out well for your friend. Sorry, but this is all I know.

The search for the missing crewmenber was offically aborted at sundown on November 19 and he is presumed dead. This tragedy has bonded our Legend family even tighter together. All of us on board the legend are heartbroken over this and the crew has been devastated. We are trying to move forward with "Rock The Boat" this evening.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. Love to you all.

Thanks Paul. Its amazing how these rumours start isn't it? Obviously that must have been the person that we had all heard about. The rumour on the Spirit today is that the missing crew member committed suicide??? How would anyone know. I don't know where that originated. I can imagine you must all be devastated.

Hi Jane,

We are in Dubai today (our second day) and I must say we have liked it more than we thought we would. We had the Experience last night (dinner in the desert) - one of the best Experiences. We leave 11am tomorrow (funny time to leave). Consequently we have no sail away party tonight (obviously). Anyway I am just off to hang over the railings feeling superior watching the new intake going through the fire drill. We have had Sri Lanka cancelled and are going to Phuket instead (not much of a substitute in our opinion). We have 9 and a half days at sea coming up so will post at some stage.

Regards,

Shelagh

Ivan on the Pride from the restaurant was diving a broke his neck, tonight the Captain made a general ann. and said he just did surgry and was doing OK.

Cruise by post from the Pride :D

Norm,

I do not have his name but our head of security was the head of security on your Legend transatlantic that you did the video. I showed him the video and he liked it.

Archived