Any Luck Checking into Hotel Early On Day of Arrival in Sydney?

OneMoreTime

Early check-in is never guaranteed, anywhere, unless you've paid for it. Big hotels are often more flexible than small hotels; full hotels are usually less flexible than emptier hotels. Sydney is no different from anywhere else.

My early check-in success rate exceeds 75%, although I probably only do about half a dozen hotel stays a year so I have relatively little experience to base this on.

You can book the room from the day before. This will guarantee you a ready room and if your rate includes breakfast, you'll get that too.

We've done this a few times after a long flight and it's worth it. We know that our first day just won't be enjoyable unless we can unpack, shower and put on clean clothes before heading out and exploring.

As far as the "odds" of getting into your room early, it's a crapshoot and depends on the size of the hotel, how busy they are and how much house-keeping staff they have.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you emailed the hotel where you are booked and asked what they can do for you? Most hotels will at least offer you access to a storeroom where you can leave your luggage until you can get into your room. If you explain your arrival time they offer you an earlier book-in time. This might involve a fee. Of course. Good luck!

We often have the reverse, arriving into Europe or Singapore early in the morning. Years ago I used to pay for the night before so we would be guaranteed of having our room straight away.

Then I started to think about the money for those few hours, usually we arrive around 7-8am and decided to take "pot luck". When I book, I always request that if possible can we have our room early as we have been flying for over 24 hours.

Since then we have always had a room available when we book in. That would be a 100% success rate in over 6 years and remember we have two early check ins each time we travel, as our plane on the return journey always lands around 6.30am in Singapore and we always spend a few days there to get our bodyclocks back to normal.

If you are staying in a large hotel in Sydney I would email them stating that you will be arriving early after a long flight and would appreciate them having a room available at the earliest opportunity. They will not guarantee it but it will be on file and they will either oblige you or will give you the first available room.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
I'm curious to know if anyone has had luck checking into their hotel on day of arrival. Our flights from the U.S. arrives at 0900 and we know we'll be wanting to be able to check early.

No problem, let the hotel know you will be arriving early a good attitude and a smile works wonders. When we travel to the US it works everytime.

We arrrived early on Dec. 8 from our cruise on the Statendam at the Crown Plaza Darling Harbour and our room was available to us. I do not know if that was by chance or not, because we had not asked for it early, but had paid for the six day stay in advance which might of had something to do with it. The hotel was very nice and enjoyed our stay there.

Archived