What if you don't put your luggage out the night before?

Baseball Lover

What happens if you don't put your luggage out in the hallway the night before disimbarkation? I know you're supposed to... but what if you didn't? Will they search it? Will they hold you up? Will they throw you over. Just wondering. Someone told me they thought they could make an earlier flight if they carried their own stuff off the ship.

Thanks!

Molly

What happens if you don't put your luggage out in the hallway the night before disimbarkation? I know you're supposed to... but what if you didn't? Will they search it? Will they hold you up? Will they throw you over. Just wondering. Someone told me they thought they could make an earlier flight if they carried their own stuff off the ship.

Thanks!

Molly

I haven't tried it yet, but intend to in 26+7 days! I think the main reason for the "out the night before" and "leave when your number is called" policies is to get good organization for people going on the transfer buses to airports or post-cruise excursions, and to avoid horrendous congestion of elevators. That's why HAL asks what your departure plans are. If you're providing your own post-cruise transportation I think (hope) it's roll-off at your own leisure.

We have done it many times. We once had a piece of our luggage taken by mistake upon disembarkation in New York. It was well marked, and we had tied identifying ribbons onto it. It was still taken by someone else. Ever since that time, we usually carry off our own luggage. We have never had an additional search.

I've seen people taking their own luggage off when they each only have one small/medium suitcase they can roll and put a small carry-on on top, but since most people take a lot more luggage than that I don't see how many pax could handle all their luggage on their own. I know we couldn't- large suitcase, garment bag, and carry-on each.

HAL allows you to make arrangements to carry your own luggage off. They also have provision in some ports of having your luggage taken straight to your flight. I believe that there is a fee for this service. Suite pax can elect to have their luggage picked up at 6am the morning of disembarkation. For the first time this September we were given a window for leaving the ship. Ours was 8:30 to 10am. We were not going to the airport but our friends were and their window was 8:30 to 9am. This was on the Westerdam arriving in Seattle. I don't know if other ships are doing this in other ports or not.

GN

Being able to take your own luggage off and wanting to take your own luggage off are two different issues in our book. No way I'm going to lug the 4 big pieces plus assorted carry-on anymore than I have too. :) If I had a concern it would be that lots of people start off-loading their own bags and that could make disembarkation a bit of a mess. I have no reason to believe that would make you anymore likely to be pulled for inspection though as the Customs checkpoint is after the luggage claim and, with literally thousands of passengers and bags, how would Customs folks know the difference. Far as I know luggage being unloaded goes through not particular screening other than the occasional drug dog sniffing bags and that doesn't happen all the time.

We have gotten off in the first group several times and it is very much more congested now with the "carry- it- off- myself group" there. All pax usually have a carry on bag or two, but the addition now of larger suitcases being taken off really can make for a hassle for everyone. Do most people really have to do this to make an early flight do you think? :confused:

We have gotten off in the first group several times and it is very much more congested now with the "carry- it- off- myself group" there. All pax usually have a carry on bag or two, but the addition now of larger suitcases being taken off really can make for a hassle for everyone. Do most people really have to do this to make an early flight do you think? :confused:

No, they don't. That doesn't stop them from thinking they do, though. And it certainly doesn't stop them from showing no consideration for the other passengers. But try this game: all during the cruise, note which passengers appear to be the least considerate of others and/or staff. Then before disembarkation starts, get a good position on the rail to watch as folks leave the ship. See how many carrying lots of bags are those you already know to be inconsiderate oafs...

I think it is great that we have the option to take our own luggage off. You do not have to make that choice but for those who need to get to the airport fast, this is ideal. When we did it on our last cruise we were out of the cruise terminal in seconds so I don't know how anyone could complain that it delayed others. Just think of the time the porters would have for you now that a number of passengers have carried their own luggage off. It helps everyone.

Griswalds

Most lines are allowing this now, but I can't understand why anyone would choose to take their own luggage unless, like someone said, you are traveling very light. Usually that would be those on 4 or 5 day cruises. It has been our experience that those who do carry their own luggage block the passage ways, struggle to manover the luggage and generally hold everything up instead of helping to move things along. NMnita

We are always off with the first group and it seems to go okay. (We don't carry our bags off but are always in Group 1 so see the 'we'll do it ourselves people' ) In reality, on HAL, there usually are not that many express pax and those who do express usually have very little 'stuff' they are lugging. They are the type who are brilliant at putting 10 days worth of clothing/personal articles in a 25" bag and they manage to roll it off just fine. I need that size bag to go out to lunch so beats me how they do it.

IF you wish to express disembark and lug your own things, you cannot count on any assistance at all and have to be considerate of the fact you are in line with the group of folks who have the first number so 'don't run them over'. ;).

Bear in mind that Homeland Security (Customs and Department of Agriculture) always check the unloaded luggage for drugs or contraband articles and foodstuff not permitted to be brought into the U.S. Their sniffer dogs might be interested in having a sniff at the bags you are carrying. If you don't want those sweet, friendly cuddly canines near you, you may wish to reconsider dragging your own luggage.

Good luck.

No, they don't. That doesn't stop them from thinking they do, though. And it certainly doesn't stop them from showing no consideration for the other passengers.

For a 7-day cruise my wife and I each have one medium sized suitcase and one small carry-on which will stack on top. Other than taking a little extra room in an elevator, we "block" no one, we inconvenience no one, and are inconsiderate to no one.

We are being picked up by someone who has to go work as early as possible, therefore we want to get off as early as possible and not take a chance on being unable to locate our bags in the claim area.

Katbird93 - Back in February we stayed an extra night in Ft Lauderdale to catch the King Tut exhibit that was in town at the time. We were off the ship and in our hotel room in Ft Lauderdale by 9:15 AM, at the museum by 10 AM, and that's with the ship being cleared for disembarkation at 8 AM. We didn't carry off our own luggage and still managed to gather it up and get out of the terminal quickly and easily.

Drag my own luggage off the ship?

Be among the first to leave?

Miss breakfast???*:eek:

Now why on earth would anyone want to do that just because the ship is at the pier?

I'd much rather be up late and among the last in the Dining Room/Lido having my Eggs Benedict, Fresh Fruit & Hot Tea. * I care not one bit that the waiters and stewards are busily making up the ship for the next passengers and really don't*care if the service is less than stellar on the last morning - I can still enjoy a nice slow morning while I thank them for their wonderful service throughout the previous week, hand them a bit of cash and bid them adieu.

And once I'm on the pier, I have so many fewer bags to rummage through to find my own, the porters are waiting to assist me and I have a selection of taxi's to choose from as they've just dropped off the early arrivals for the next cruise.

Then once at the airport, I can plug in the laptop and post here, check e-mail & sift through vacation photos while enjoying my decaf-mocha...

I didn't just spend thousands of dollars and a week or more to relax & unwind aboard ship just to get all antsy about racing from ship to airport to home as if there were a million-dollar prize awaiting the first person to insert key in*front door lock:* the credit card bills and real life anxieties will all come soon enough...

:cool:

Katbird93 - Back in February we stayed an extra night in Ft Lauderdale to catch the King Tut exhibit that was in town at the time. We were off the ship and in our hotel room in Ft Lauderdale by 9:15 AM, at the museum by 10 AM, and that's with the ship being cleared for disembarkation at 8 AM. We didn't carry off our own luggage and still managed to gather it up and get out of the terminal quickly and easily.

Thanks Randyk47 - Sounds like it should be a breeze. I don't want to have to worry about our luggage and am pretty sure that we have arranged transportation to hotel. We just wanted one more day to enjoy our vacation!

Kathie:D

Now why on earth would anyone want to do that just because the ship is at the pier?

I'd much rather be up late and among the last in the Dining Room/Lido having my Eggs Benedict, Fresh Fruit & Hot Tea. * I care not one bit that the waiters and stewards are busily making up the ship for the next passengers and really don't*care if the service is less than stellar on the last morning - I can still enjoy a nice slow morning while I thank them for their wonderful service throughout the previous week, hand them a bit of cash and bid them adieu.

And once I'm on the pier, I have so many fewer bags to rummage through to find my own, the porters are waiting to assist me and I have a selection of taxi's to choose from as they've just dropped off the early arrivals for the next cruise.

Then once at the airport, I can plug in the laptop and post here, check e-mail & sift through vacation photos while enjoying my decaf-mocha...

I didn't just spend thousands of dollars and a week or more to relax & unwind aboard ship just to get all antsy about racing from ship to airport to home as if there were a million-dollar prize awaiting the first person to insert key in*front door lock:* the credit card bills and real life anxieties will all come soon enough...

On January 14th when I get back into port they will have to drag me off the ship! I to want to keep relaxed after my wonderful experience. The fact that my flight does not even leave until 8PM has something to do with it too:rolleyes:

Amen, Brian. Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Kathie - Thanks. It was the first, and so far only, time we've not traveled directly home on disembarkation day. Quite frankly it was great. Certainly seemed to take away the downside of getting off a wonderful cruise. By the way, we didn't have any special transportation arranged and simply grabbed a taxi outside the terminal. I think the fare for us was in the $15-$20 range to the Renaissance on 17th Street.

And a PS to Brian. WELL SAID!!!! Our thoughts exactly!

We always do a post cruise stay if we disembark in Tampa or FLL, but we're the type that when our cruise is over, it is over. We book the post cruise hotel stay to 'transition' back to reality ......and because we really enjoy FLL and Tampa. We want off the ship with the first numbers so we can get on with the next phase of our vacation.

Fret not......we certainly don't leave the ship hungry. It's our regular, usual, full room service breakfast on our veranda before we gather our carryons and wait for them to begin disembarkation.

Thanks!

Molly

I always handle my own luggage. (one bag on wheels) Never let it out of my sight because it can be maddening when (1) it isn't delivered to your cabin for hours and hours or (2) you can't find it easily when disembarking. If you don't want to leave it outside your cabin, just lug it.

Lady

I completely agree with Brian! We will not be in a rush to get caught in the hussle and bussle of NY 4 days before new years. :) This is partly the reason why we are staying an extra 2 days after our cruise. ;) We plan on being the LAST off the ship :D

Whenever possible, we roll our own luggage off the ship. Sometimes it is because of an early flight but more often it is because I dislike the Hunt for the Luggage game.

Of course, I am prepared with a carry on that attaches to the luggage and a backpack for the rest. And when we are ready to disembark, we do so and it does not impact anyone else. In fact, it's less work for the crew and a few less pieces that have to be sorted out, less people participating in the great luggage hunt and no contention for a cart and someone to push it.

For those than are prepared, willing and able to do so, it gives you a lot more flexibility when to get out of Dodge.

Archived