Does Carnival have a luggage weight limit?

Christine in MO

I know that airlines do (but we are not flying) but I was wondering if Carnival has a luggage weight limit? Also, how much is too much? Between DH and I we will have the largest (which is very LARGE) and the middle size suitcases from our 3 piece luggage set plus 1 small soft-sided rolling cooler...these 3 things will be checked. DH will be carrying on a small duffle and I will be carrying on a medium sized beach bag. Based on my preliminary panning this will be plenty of room plus some extra for purchased items.

I just keep seeing posts not to over pack and everyone always ends up bringing too much. I do not plan on visting the laundry area at any time while on my vacation and I have packed 1 outfit (some pants/skirts/tops will go with several outfits) for each night in the dining room. Several - (3) outfits for daytime stuff (again they can be mis-matched). 2 bathing suits and cover ups. I tried my best to scale down on shoes that that was HARD. I think I got the shoes down to 5 pair (most of them go with several outfits except for the first formal nights shoes). So, does that sound like too many clothes? TIA

Christine

Do you have luggage restrictions?spacer.gif

Although there is no limit set by Carnival on the amount of luggage you may bring (so long as it fits in your stateroom), if your travel plans involve air transportation, you may want to check with the airlines since the carrier may have restrictions.

Each piece of luggage must be locked (once you get to the terminal) and have a colored bag tag listing the guest's name, ship and stateroom number. Bag tags are mailed with cruise documents and additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter, if necessary.

Since the delivery of checked bags may take some time to reach your stateroom, you may elect to bring your own bags on board if they do not exceed 24''w x 16''h (there is no restriction on the length of the bag). Additionally, we highly recommend that guests personally carry any boarding documentation (passports, visas, I.D.), valuables, medications, and items which require special handling on and off the vessel. This advantage will ensure prompt and easy access to your baggage. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on baggage.

Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take baggage to the vessel for delivery by shipboard personnel to your stateroom*. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the embarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

If this is your first cruise and you're unsure how much clothing you think you will need, bring what you feel is necessary. There is no weight or baggage count limit on Carnival. You'll probably find however, at the end of the cruise, that there were items you didn't use - that's what always happens to us.... much to DW's chagrin because she has to wash all that stuff when we get home! :eek:

Leaving from PHL going to MIA, the AA Self Check-in Agent wanted to charge me $25.00 for my bag being eight (8) pounds overweight. We repacked several bags and weren't charge with those being two-three punds over (go figure). Coming back from MIA to PHL, the same bag was 20 pounds over. Guess what, the agent double checked the weight and out and "Heavy" tag on it and we were on our way! No mention of the overweight or charge!

We just got back from Glory last Saturday and we had a bit of luggage. My DH and I had two large rolling suitcases, one rolling suiter, a small rolling suitcase, a backpack, and a carry on bag. Leaving we had two additional tote type bags. I had a purse also.

Despite what everyone is telling you, there is a luggage limit. That limit is 200 pounds per person. It is just that even for a two week voyage no one would bring that much luggage, so the rule is not well known. It is not until you get to the round the world cruises that this becomes an issue. Those cruises last for about 100 days, and cost mega-bucks. So the people who go tend to have the means to bring too much luggage. I was on a two week cruise without doing laundry and did not go over the airline luggage limit. 50 pounds of cloths per person should be enough for two weeks or less. However, if you are driving to the port, and your car can handle the extra weight, you can bring up to 200 pounds of luggage per person on the cruise with you.

Despite what everyone is telling you, there is a luggage limit. That limit is 200 pounds per person. It is just that even for a two week voyage no one would bring that much luggage, so the rule is not well known. It is not until you get to the round the world cruises that this becomes an issue. Those cruises last for about 100 days, and cost mega-bucks. So the people who go tend to have the means to bring too much luggage. I was on a two week cruise without doing laundry and did not go over the airline luggage limit. 50 pounds of cloths per person should be enough for two weeks or less. However, if you are driving to the port, and your car can handle the extra weight, you can bring up to 200 pounds of luggage per person on the cruise with you.

According to Carnival, there is no limit on luggage. It is on their faq. It's not the clothes, it's shoes, makeup, purses, toiletries, etc that make up a lot of the weight. Where is this limit listed?

Straight from their FAQ section

Do you have luggage restrictions?

Although there is no limit set by Carnival on the amount of luggage you may bring (so long as it fits in your stateroom), if your travel plans involve air transportation, you may want to check with the airlines since the carrier may have restrictions.

Each piece of luggage must be locked (once you get to the terminal) and have a colored bag tag listing the guest's name, ship and stateroom number. Bag tags are mailed with cruise documents and additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter, if necessary.

see http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx for the full text.

Enjoy

Ron

According to Carnival, there is no limit on luggage. It is on their faq. It's not the clothes, it's shoes, makeup, purses, toiletries, etc that make up a lot of the weight. Where is this limit listed?

Carnival does not have any cruises longer than 15 days, so Carnival may not be worried about it. I have read about this limit in cruise books and seen others confirm the 200 pounds limit on this and other cruise forums.

Who is going to lug around 200 pounds of luggage for a one week vacation? :confused:

Do you really think you are going to exceed 200 pounds, including the stuff you buy and bring back? :eek:

Carnival does not have any cruises longer than 15 days, so Carnival may not be worried about it. I have read about this limit in cruise books and seen others confirm the 200 pounds limit on this and other cruise forums.

Who is going to lug around 200 pounds of luggage for a one week vacation? :confused:

Do you really think you are going to exceed 200 pounds, including the stuff you buy and bring back? :eek:

Um, didn't say I have ever brought or would consider bringing 200 lbs of luggage, but since this is a Carnival specific thread, let's stick to what Carnival allows. You went off the op's topic to stick in info about around the world cruises. It's just not relevant to this thread.

Take it from someone that has finally got his wife to see the light:

Take half the luggage and twice the money!

Now that most cruises allow early "self assist" departure is even

more reason to pack less.

My DW and I just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Legend and we went with somewhat full luggage consisting of two rolling full size suitcases, two garment bags and two carry ons. Incidentally, we wore nearly everything that we packed and never had to wash clothes during the cruise which was the goal. The problems arise when you begin buying items at each of the ports of call and the volume sort of sneaks up on you. When packing to come home the full luggage became "zipper straining stuffed" but it all fit somehow. If there was a weight limit upon disembarkation I'm sure we would have heard from someone, but we did not. We were not flying so the only complaint would have been from the shock absorbers and springs in the car and they were never a problem either. Your real concern will be the airline rules if you are flying. Figure out what you will need to wear for each day and allow for an extra something in case of an accidental spilling of something on you. Then, just enjoy.

Randy

My DW and I just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Legend and we went with somewhat full luggage consisting of two rolling full size suitcases, two garment bags and two carry ons. Incidentally, we wore nearly everything that we packed and never had to wash clothes during the cruise which was the goal. The problems arise when you begin buying items at each of the ports of call and the volume sort of sneaks up on you. When packing to come home the full luggage became "zipper straining stuffed" but it all fit somehow. If there was a weight limit upon disembarkation I'm sure we would have heard from someone, but we did not. We were not flying so the only complaint would have been from the shock absorbers and springs in the car and they were never a problem either. Your real concern will be the airline rules if you are flying. Figure out what you will need to wear for each day and allow for an extra something in case of an accidental spilling of something on you. Then, just enjoy.

Randy

First of all, the weight limit is for what you bring on, not what you bring off. Second, what you describe does not sound like 400 pounds of luggage (the limit is 200 per person - not per cabin).

First of all, the weight limit is for what you bring on, not what you bring off. Second, what you describe does not sound like 400 pounds of luggage (the limit is 200 per person - not per cabin).

My docs said unlimited amount of luggage free of charge. Where do you see a weight limit? :rolleyes:

Once again, for clarification, Carnival does not have a weight limit!

Hey genius, Carnival doesn't have a limit on luggage. Let me repeat that for you slowly. C A R N I V A L H A S N O L I M I T.

Got it now?

If not, repeat as needed. :cool:

My docs said unlimited amount of luggage free of charge. Where do you see a weight limit? :rolleyes:

As I stated earlier, this is information I have read in books and it has been confirmed via posts on this board and other boards. Perhaps because Carnival does not have any cruises in excess of 15 days, Carnival does not worry about it, since no one is going to bring 200 pounds of luggage for a 15 day or less cruise.

As I stated earlier, this is information I have read in books and it has been confirmed via posts on this board and other boards. Perhaps because Carnival does not have any cruises in excess of 15 days, Carnival does not worry about it, since no one is going to bring 200 pounds of luggage for a 15 day or less cruise.

Cuizer2 please stop posting this claim on the Carnival board. Carnival has no limit on luggage. It is clearly stated in the contract of carriage which several posters have linked to on this thread but you seem to find so unimportant you obviously won't bother to read it.

I know, you read something different in some book....great, please post this nugget of knowledge in the proper forum as it doesn't apply here and could possibly confuse newbies.

And FYI the Carnival Liberty just returned from a 16 day cruise. Now you may have read somewhere that 16 is less than 15 but it isn't. And that cruise had no limit either.

Archived