What kind of side effects from yellow fever shots?

Charliesmom

I just found out that because our cruise stops at Cartagena, we will have to have yellow fever shots. Has anyone had them and have you had side effects? I would like to know if it is worth it to get them or should I cancel the cruise.

Thanks.

Roberta

I just found out that because our cruise stops at Cartagena, we will have to have yellow fever shots. Has anyone had them and have you had side effects? I would like to know if it is worth it to get them or should I cancel the cruise.

Thanks.

Roberta

Are you sure you need a yellow fever shot?

We stopped in Caragena a few years back, & didn't need any shots.

Minette

My wife & I had yellow fever shots for a cruise that stopped at French Guyana - we had no side effects that I can recall.

Of course, different shots affect different people differently. Perhaps you should address your question to a physician or nurse practioner.

Thanks for your responses.

Mary Poppinz, the itinerary says Cartegena. Wouldn't that imply that the ship is going to stop there? I realize that itineraries do change over time, but don't the cruise lines make arrangements many months in advance?

Our cruise is not until February 2008. Perhaps I should wait until closer to the time of the cruise and then check out to see if the itinerary has been revised.

I have another question: Does the cruise line refuse to board you if you do not have the proper immunizations? I have heard that Jamaica could refuse me entry into their country if we have been to a place they consider yellow fever to be endemic. How is that controlled? Do you have to show your vaccination certificate?

Roberta

Yellow Fever shots are recommended but not required for Columbia. See the info on the CDC site. http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=YBOne&obj=CO&cssNav=browseoyb

Also, although your itinerary shows Cartagena, the ships very rarely stop there. I bet you itinerary will change before the cruise to eliminate Cartagena and go to another port.

Here are some links to the info on the CDC web site.

The first has info about each countries requirements

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybBrowseO.asp#chapter5 and the following has info about side effects and contraindications associated with the vaccine http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=dis&obj=yellowfever.htm&cssNav=browseoyb

No, Princess did not tell me that I would need a yellow fever shot. However, the documents from my TA said that I was responsible for all necessary vaccinations and I am just trying to be proactive.

Rjg41. I just read the CDC material you so kindly put in your note. I think you misinterpreted the < sign for the altitude. It means at altitudes less than 2400 feet. What made me think about it was that in the 19th Century, New Orleans had a lot of yellow fever and it is at sea level.

CactusRose - Thanks for the info that cruises rarely stop there. All three February 2008 cruises have Cartagena on the itinerary.

Roberta

No, Princess did not tell me that I would need a yellow fever shot. However, the documents from my TA said that I was responsible for all necessary vaccinations and I am just trying to be proactive.

Rjg41. I just read the CDC material you so kindly put in your note. I think you misinterpreted the < sign for the altitude. It means at altitudes less than 2400 feet. What made me think about it was that in the 19th Century, New Orleans had a lot of yellow fever and it is at sea level.

CactusRose - Thanks for the info that cruises rarely stop there. All three February 2008 cruises have Cartagena on the itinerary.

Roberta

I know the itineraries show Cartagena, mine did also, but they really hardly ever really stop there. Of course things may have changed in the last year. In any event Princess will post what you need on the cruise personalizer under "important notifications" so I wouldn't do anything about getting the shot until you see it there and then I'd wait until about a month before the cruise to make sure your itinerary doesn't change. You might also have your TA place a call to Princess to see if they think they may actually stop there this time.

We went to Cartagena on the old Crown, doing a Canal cruise. We did not need a vaccination, we did not contract Yellow Fever, and Cartagena was the most beautiful city I have seen at sailaway after dark. The city itself was interesting and lovely. We did not eat or drink anything while on shore, except our water which we carried from the ship, and did not leave the city itself. We did a Princess sponsored city tour.

Have a wonderful time!

PS - My former travel agent always put that disclaimer on our invoices, about being self responsible for any necessary vaccinations and documents.

Thanks for your responses.

Mary Poppinz, the itinerary says Cartegena. Wouldn't that imply that the ship is going to stop there? I realize that itineraries do change over time, but don't the cruise lines make arrangements many months in advance?

I think it's been quite some time since a Princess ship actually stopped at Cartagena, even when it was on the itinerary. I don't believe it's on any of this year's canal itineraries, so maybe they are anticipating returning next year?

My wife and I had the yellow fever shots in 02 when we went to Peru for our son's wedding to a Peruvian girl, we went to Lima, Cusco, Macchu Pichuu etc, had NO reactions at all. The shot apparently lasts 10 yrs, next year we are going from Sydney to Lima, Peru again for a couple of weeks prior to our Regal Princess cruise LA to Sydney on 31 August. So our shots will protect us. We only had the shots plus anti tetanus because we were were told we would not get back into Australia from South America without the shots. So keep that international vaccination certificate.!!!!!!:cool: The mosquitos are the problem apparently.

Best wishes from downunder..:cool:

Roberta,

We're going in on the February 06, 2008 Exotic Panama Canal on the Island Princess. Which cruise are you on? I was wondering about the yellow fever shot also. I guess I'll wait for another year before I decide.

Thanks to everyone for your help. We'll wait and see.

Cynthia

Cartegena used to be a std. on Princess itineraries. Because of ongoing travel warnings issued by the US Dept. of State:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_941.html

Princess has either not included the stops or eliminated them from itineraries. It seems they're hopeful that the situation will change by 08 and have begun including this important Spanish colonial city on itineraries again. IF the travel warning isn't lifted, however, you won't be going. THis is the deciding factor for Princess.

As to the shots, they are more recommended for folks going out of the city. If you research yellow fever in Colombia, you're not going to find that it's a risk in an urban tourist/beach town like Cartegena. Plus,you're not there long. I would skip the shots unless you're going to the jungle. They're not required just recommended. I wouldn't worry about Jamaica, either.

CatcusRose - where are you going that necessitated a yellow fever shot? Someplace exciting, I hope.

Roberta

Roberta . . . we are doing a B2B on the Golden from New Orleans to Rio and then from Rio to Buenos Aires. We have to have the YF shot because we will be stopping at Devils Island in French Guiana. We went in for our flu shots and I happened to stop by our travel clinic to find out about the YF shot and the next thing I knew we ended up not only with the yellow fever shot but also a Tetanus, Polio Booster, HepA and Diphtheria shots. :eek: Then they gave us pills for Typhoid, Malaria and a Anti-Biotic just in case. The shots were free so what the heck. Now we're protected from just about everything. Even with all that, no reaction.:D

It's recommended but not required for cruises going to the Amazon. I got one in 1999 and don't remember getting any reaction. My certificate is good until 2009.

If you do decide to get a yellow fever vaccination, note that very few clinics, HMOs or doctor's offices offer them. Not only do you have to find one that does, you frequently have to make an appointment in advance so that they can order it in time for your shot. It's also not cheap. I don't remember how much but I remember being surprised at how much it was and it wasn't covered by my HMO medical.

LunaSeaRetreat - We are on the February 25th, 2008 sailing of the Coral Princess. Is that your cruise?

CactusRose - how lucky for you that all of those shots were free. I am on Medicare and they don't pay for travel shots. We've already had our typhoid and hepatitis A & B which we got in preparation for a trip to Russia last year. I got a tetanus and diptheria shot in 2002 when my cat bit me and I got blood poisoning.

It gets complicated, doesn't it?

Roberta

It's recommended but not required for cruises going to the Amazon. I got one in 1999 and don't remember getting any reaction. My certificate is good until 2009.

If you do decide to get a yellow fever vaccination, note that very few clinics, HMOs or doctor's offices offer them. Not only do you have to find one that does, you frequently have to make an appointment in advance so that they can order it in time for your shot. It's also not cheap. I don't remember how much but I remember being surprised at how much it was and it wasn't covered by my HMO medical.

Got back from Amazon cruise last month. HAL told us it wasn't needed, TA told us it wasn't needed, got on board, and HAL advised us that the Brazilian government decided they required it and had just notified them a day or so prior to departure from LA. Checked with Brazilian embassy various times before and AFTER boarding, and they never said it was required. We're still not sure what kind of game HAL was playing, but they did JUST HAPPEN to have shots on board. They initially wanted something like $163 each, and when people starting ripping on them, they reduced the price to what they said was their cost....$75 each. So check and double check. There were people onboard who refused to get them, and no one was denied getting off the ship at any of the Brazil stops.

AcaCandy, I would tend to believe that the Brazilian goverment changed their mind before HAL planning a ripoff. I'm trying to remember my Princess pre-cruise documents and I think they recommended the yellow fever shot rather than required it but I honestly don't remember since I already had a valid yellow fever certificate from years ago and didn't pay much attention. There are some people who cannot have the shot due to allergies and they had doctor's letters to that effect.

Archived