AOL Cruiser's Do you get the Hep Shot?

KruznKel

My mother going on the Jan 21 07 out of San Juan.. is now in a frenzy thinking she should get it:eek: I have told her to take her own water off the ship and eat/drink at reputable restaurants..

What are the experiences that you have encountered? I am not RCI Cruiser.. but from our experiences we haven't had a problem..for some reason she thinks we are just lucky:rolleyes:

Should read AOS sorry :(

wash hands often, use hand sanitizer....(all over the ship, plus we take our own....just check out the TSA rules for carrying liquids).

ships water is purified....puerto rico is safe if you stick with reputable places, and the ports should all be fine.

just pack some pepto bismol and some anitbiotics in case and you are all set.

We've been on the Adventure, and many RCCL ships, and have been to San Juan and the Caribbean lots of times ......... have never had a problem with water. Wash hands often as other cruiser suggeted, and just use common sense. Works like a charm.

Thanks to you both for responding.. that is exactly what I told my mother but hey.. she has this thing if she can get sick she will:( So I told her to check with her doctor.. since the hep shots need to be administered in 3 shots starts 6mths out.. I told her she was Chit outta luck anyways :D She must check.. her being 57 (works out and eats healty) and worrying so much makes me skeered:eek: She has never cruised before.. I am hoping she loves it as much as me.. and someday I will be cruisin with her!!!

Thanks again!!

The water in PR is safe to drink. St. Thomas has no drinking water, you must buy bottled water. The tap water is used only for washing (Hotels have a sign over every faucet). If they serve you water in a restaurant be assured it is bottled water. The other islands I would say buy bottled water.

We decided to go ahead and get the shots for Hepatitis. The vaccine is called TwinRix and is given in 3 separate doses. The first shot, the second 30 days later, and the third 6 months later. I felt that because we travel to the Caribbean at least once or twice a year, the protection against Hepatitis was important. If a vaccine is available to protect you - why not? :rolleyes:

We've never gotten any vaccinations prior to Caribbean trips--but then, we don't do any of the "extreme" excursions, seldom eat or drink off of the ship, so we haven't felt it necessary. I'd be more concerned if I was spending a long stretch of time on some undeveloped island--not just a few hours here or there.

Archived