RCI's new home page! (merged)

Sheffie

I rather like the new home page. I'm a visual person. I enjoy seeing different things and interactivity. I like the squares that you can click in the pictures to read about different features. I didn't really notice it until my third visit to the homepage. I have had no trouble with it loading either.

Even with all the extra graphics and animation it loaded ok.

If the site were properly coded (which it's not) with today's current standards it could load much faster, have better cross browser capabilities (including alternate browsing devices) and could meet Section 508 compliance for accessibility.

Visually, it's quite well done. From a usability and web standards standpoint it leaves a lot to be desired. In all fairness though, many major corporate web sites suffer from the same shortcomings.

If the site were properly coded (which it's not) with today's current standards it could load much faster, have better cross browser capabilities (including alternate browsing devices) and could meet Section 508 compliance for accessibility.

Visually, it's quite well done. From a usability and web standards standpoint it leaves a lot to be desired. In all fairness though, many major corporate web sites suffer from the same shortcomings.

I think its section 507. :rolleyes:

I think its section 507. :rolleyes:

I was looking at the new website and was shocked when the little pre-website movie thing loaded and people were dancing around with sign saying "Have I cruises before....."Am I loyal to Royal etc.... and was even more thrilled when it asked "Does this sign make my butt look big."

Not that I have anything against butt......but doesn't that whole movie give the wrong idea about RCCL. My son said it makes RCCL look "cheap", my wife said it made RCCL look like a "party atmosphere" and I personally think it doesn't represent RCCL AT ALL!

NOW, it is a different story once you get into the web site. VERY NICE and I am Very IMPRESSED!!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/home/exph.do

Did anyone else not like the video or share similar feelings about the intro into RCCL?? Just curious to see other's feelings/preferences about this!

:confused: ~~Did I miss something?~~When I went to the 'new' site just now..it is just a slide show and when you click on the 'squares' it just tells info about RCI..ie: Vision Family Ships, Dining Options, etc...

I didnt see any 'butt' signs...:eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But I too usually just mute it as soon as any of the previews load and go to what Im looking for

I just now went there to reprint my pass just for an extra. And i had to go through a big hassle for them to tell me that I have no pending reservations? I know that I sail tomorrow, but I feel this should still be available to me? Was it like this before?

I did "skip intro" but it was still confusing to say I have never cruised, i've cruised but not with Rc, or I am loyal to royal. What about I have not cruised but I do have a reservation with you? where does that fit in? I do not like it:( BTW... It fits in with I've never cruised before...

I just now went there to reprint my pass just for an extra. And i had to go through a big hassle for them to tell me that I have no pending reservations? I know that I sail tomorrow, but I feel this should still be available to me? Was it like this before?

I did "skip intro" but it was still confusing to say I have never cruised, i've cruised but not with Rc, or I am loyal to royal. What about I have not cruised but I do have a reservation with you? where does that fit in? I do not like it:( BTW... It fits in with I've never cruised before...

I believe that SetSail passes are only avilable up to 72 hours before you cruise.

I saw no problem with it. The opening directs you to different locations within the site depending on whether you are a newbie or a repeat customer. I don't see anything lame about it. There is a button to skip the intro the next time you sign on...

I go directly to my log-in screen anyway in order to access booked cruises and saved cruises.

JMHO.

LL

:confused: ~~Did I miss something?~~When I went to the 'new' site just now..it is just a slide show and when you click on the 'squares' it just tells info about RCI..ie: Vision Family Ships, Dining Options, etc...

I didnt see any 'butt' signs...:eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But I too usually just mute it as soon as any of the previews load and go to what Im looking for

That's all I seen also. :confused:

The homepage is certainly new but that's about all it does for me. After visiting it a couple of times, the new factor wares off quickly and then I feel that all the glitz takes away from usability.

The useful information on the homepage is now located much further down the page because of the large flash area at the top. Once you hover over all the items in the Flash area and you've read everything once, it becomes useless and will never be looked at again. That said, I now have to scroll down to use the quick search, read more relevant info or link to other useful information. They could correct this by shrinking the flash area at the top by at least half vertically. Not everyone is running a 1280x1024 resolution yet. As well, shrinking the area vertically would allow the use of smaller graphics requiring less compression used on the images just to ensure a quick load. This would eliminate most of the pixelation and poor image quality.

Not to mention, they're also promoting the Vision family of ships in the Flash area. You'd think they'd be pumping out more marketing surrounding the Freedom and Liberty. And what's up with image of the people in the bar? It looks like it was taken in the 70's. Granted, it's probably pretty recent but the treatment used is pretty dated.

s.

Archived