Zuiderdam vs. Zaandam

pisces1

My husband and I are planning a Alaskan cruise. I know the Zuiderdam is a newer and larger ship, but has anyone been on both and can comment why one might be better than the other? We plan on getting a suite with a balcony since we tend to like more private time and are not too concerned about the abundance of on board activities.

Zaandam. No two ways about it.

Now, I haven't been on the Zuiderdam, but I was on her sister the Noordam and I was on the Zaandam in October. She's pretty. The music theme is unusual on HAL ships and does add to the atmosphere.

She's smaller, so it's easier to get from here to there more easily. That will also allow her to get closer to the scenery.

She also has more open deck space that will come in handy---especially on the aft. You may plan on spending lots of time on your verandah, but there will also be times you want a broader perspective on the scenery.

And the lines getting on/off the ship in ports will be shorter.

Sail the Zaandam.

If it were me and I have been on both ships I would choose the Zaandam. I like the smaller class ships. Also if you can swing it I would stay in a SA,SB or SC class suite as the service you get from the Neptune lounge is the BEST. I was on the Zuiderdam to Alaska this past September and the Zaandam early in May of this year.

I have been on both ships twice each. Love them both!! My first was on the Zaandam, and I was amazed, awed, and completely impressed by the size of my cabin!! I took a last-minute Christmas cruise on the Zaandam from Port Canaveral doing a Western,, and got a Cat. K (cheap) cabin - as I was by myself - , and this was the first ship I had ever cruised on where I didn't have to walk sideways in a "cheap" inside cabin! I had a King bed, and a "parlor" with a sofa and table. I didn't even trip over anything during my mid-night trips to the bathroom...which was large beyond belief! I think this was in 2000. I did the same itinerary in 2001. I love the Zuiderdam because of their Eastern itinerary, but for complete comfort, easy navigation, elegance, and cabin size...chose the Zaandam! No crowding, no lines (none that I experienced), and total elegance. Enjoy!!

Another vote for Zaandam. We sailed on Westerdam, which is a large Vista ship like Zuiderdam. She was lovely, but Zaandam is lovely AND smaller. On a ship, we're finding out, smaller is better. We had a suite on Zaandam on our Alaska cruise, and we loved it. We loved the Concierge, Alma. Our immense suite was bigger than our first apartment, and our apartment never had the wonderful services of Steward Suko. Most of all I miss the dressing area, with its exquisite little SINK right in the marble-topped dressing table. On our last day I discovered the extra wine and champagne glasses hidden behind one of the mirrors over the counter by the entryway. If you like quiet alone-times with each other, and also enjoy the traditional Promenade deck when you're feeling sociable, then Zaandam is for you. Be sure to tell us all about your cruise!

Thanks to all who responded. Zaandam sounds like the ship for us! As for the verandah....I am a cold weather girl and spent quite a bit of time on our private deck when we sailed on the QM2 transatlantic in early April. I think the highs were in the 30's and 40's.

I have sailed on the Zuiderdam and Volendam (sister ship to the Zaandam), while I had a wonderful cruise on both ships, they were for different reasons. Yes, the Zuiderdam is larger, may be had more bars and activities perhaps, we found the staff in the dining room to be rushed, almost like there weren't enough servers for the size of the dining room. The Volendam is a more intimate ship, more of HAL's tradition, which I enjoy. I would sail on either ship, but if had the choice, my vote would be for the Zaandam.

I chose Zuiderdam for my Alaska Cruistour 8/07 mainly for price. Not quite sure why Zuiderdam is less expensive than Zaandam, but it was by about $500 pp. Same itinerary and close to same cabin category. Maybe because there are more rooms to fill on the Zuiderdam they lower the price a little. I'm sure you will love whichever one you decide on. They are both after all HAL. At least that's what I keep telling myself. We sailed the Inside Passage on the old Noordam which is about the size of the Zaandam (I think) and loved it, because it wasn't quite so large. I don't really care for the large mega ships, but as I said, $500 pp was a significant enough savings for me to go with the larger ship. I can use that $500 pp for excursions while in Alaska. Have a great cruise!:D

For Europe I think the Vistas are far better, and for Alaska the R or S class, just because the ports are smaller, and the scenery is better the closer you can get to it. However, you might want to check cruisecal.com to see how many mega-ships from other cruise lines you might be competing with in those small ports.

I have sailed both ships, and agree with the other posters.

A smaller ship is the way to go for Alaska, and the Zaandam

is a wonderful ship. I was just on her a month ago to Hawaii

and sail on her again next April.

Happy sailing on whichever you choose, but I recommend the

Zaandam.

But keep in mind that in Alaska, you won't be using your verandah as much as you would on a Caribbean cruise.

We were lucky to have warmer weather and we used our verandah quite a lot in Alaska.We had breakfast and lunches there and even the afternoon when we were at Hubbard glacier we had our lunch there and watched and waited for the calving.

Also we have been onboard both ships and I myself like the larger Zuiderdam. We had a VA cabin and had plenty of space for us.

Missygirl

Archived