Sailing?

rtroeh

I think the same reason why some people say they are having a coke when they might be having something else. Some lines call it a saiilng, others a cruise and others a voyage. Same for a cabin on a ship. Some lines call it a cabin, others a stateroom and still others call it a suite even though its size might be closer to a cabin/stateroom.

Many will say sailing and it's not to imply that there are sails.

Keith

Why do people say they are sailing when they are going on a cruise ship? Other than the smaller vessels such as Windjammers, most cruise ships do not have sails!

It would seem to me to be a carryover from when all ships had sails.

Kind of like why we say we "ride" in a car because people would "ride" a horse before there were cars.

Why do people say they are sailing when they are going on a cruise ship? Other than the smaller vessels such as Windjammers, most cruise ships do not have sails!

.......because it is the English language......where we also say that we Drive on Parkways and then we Park on Driveways......:)

According to my handy dandy little Oxford dictionary, to "sail" is " to travel on water by use of sails OR engine power".

Therefore, if one is traveling on a sailboat or on a cruise ship, one is sailing. The term "sailing" does not just apply to vessels with sails, at least not in modern usage.

Who cares what it's called, as long as we get to travel on cruise ships.

Archived